Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

This constant argument that has taken over the Tri-Cities board is so dull and irritating. I've almost stopped coming by this particular subforum because of the constant drudgery of having to defend the area against a barrage of negative observations.

In other words, lighten up folks. The conversation has taken on trollish aspects, and I will be ignoring this kind of topic when it arises from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:44 PM

141 posts, read 297,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Interest income on what? Not savings accounts at banks.
I have a $50,000 60 month cd earning 2.1% annually.....and THAT is taxable income. Do you need me to do the math for you?
LMAO....no wonder some of these potential transplants are beginning to wonder........shoot I am starting too myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
In other words, lighten up folks. The conversation has taken on trollish aspects, and I will be ignoring this kind of topic when it arises from now on.
Well if you don't like the truth, or other people's opinions, by all means, ignore the thread/comments.

Seems like I remember you passing judgement and rendering unfriendly comments/opinions yourself in the past.
Do you need me to remind you? or post some of your past notable work?

And I'm all for peace and harmony..........but I have a very low tolerance for BS and ignorance.

Have a nice day

Last edited by polizzio; 08-10-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 02:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
If anyone needs instructions on how to add users to your ignore list, feel free to shoot me a DM.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:37 PM

116 posts, read 160,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You don't want older transplants because they don't spend enough and only create low wage jobs, you don't want younger transplants because they take jobs away from the natives.
You complain the only jobs are retail and fast food and then complain the area doesn't have enough upscale shopping and dining.
We don't have the population to support the kinds of big city amenities you want, yet you don't want to see people move to the area and you discourage almost everyone who comes to this board looking for info.
It doesn't make much sense to hate on transplants and complain about how stagnant the area is at the same time.
(Reminds me of the old chicken and egg quandary, which came first, the people or the amenities?)

What exactly would you like to see happen in this area? Young wealthy transplants who bring lots of jobs only allowed?
LOL

Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
After living in several other cities I came to the Tri-Cities from Virginia Beach but previously living in several other cities since growing up in SW Virginia for a smaller city atmosphere and to be closer to home. After listening to all the complaints on the board, I’m not sure why people think it's different anywhere else. I'm not sure what type of jobs people think are available in Nashville or Charlotte or anywhere else, they'd be qualified for that don't exist here, but why not move there if that area provides that opportunity! Unfortunately, my opinion is that low-paying service jobs dominated by national corporations are becoming thenorm all across America. It's so sad so many people these days blindly support large corporations claiming to have saved a penny. In a few more years the only company left in business will be Walmart and Kroger and you'll only be able to buy gas from Shell or Exxon. If you're interested in technology maybe you can sell cell phones for Verizon or AT&T, or repair cable lines for Comcast or Charter. But my point is, all over the country it's the multi-billion dollar corporations that are putting small business owners out of business. They can then hire the former business owner for minimum wage, and we only have ourselves to blame. This is a common result everywhere I have lived, not just here. People really like to complain about the jobs and economy and demand politicians solve the problem but their actual spending habits prove they support the system moving further in that direction.

If the complaint is about Baptists, I assume you couldn't live anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon Line or in the Heartland. And if you go north you would probably have the same complaints about Catholicism, Judaism, or Episcopalians. Out West, you probably wouldn't be able to tolerate the LDS church. Of course, at least you're not living in a country where you're classified as Muslim or executed...

The only way to beat the stats, IMO, is to get a good education or to open your own business. I believe this area provides opportunity, but it's not a guarantee to success. You can go to ETSU and gain preferential admissions to Medical, Pharmacy, Law school, etc. or pick up a trade and make a fair living. But you still have to make the grades and likely are willing to leave the area at some point regardless of what you do.

I disagree that people only come here to retire. The area is surrounded bymore rural areas and there are thousands of young people coming here for "more" opportunity whether they come to ETSU and stay or they come directly to find work. Unfortunately, as I expect healthcare jobs in the region to suffer in the next few years I expect the region as a whole will. ETSU will also lose some revenue to community colleges which will be free to many students. Many coal mines surrounding the Tri-cities have also shut down recently so those folks will no longer be here shopping and eating out on the weekends.

I suspect in the coming years this area will continue to attract people like myself that want some of the amenities of larger cities, but are not interested in dealing with the big city headaches that larger areas offer including traffic, downtown parking, much more expensive real estate, a lack of trees, etc. This area still offers opportunity and I truly believe, after living in several cities, that a lot of the "grass is greener on the other side" folks would have the same complaints about other areas.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 AM

Well stated Trevor. Pretty much what I said in a post a couple days ago. Human nature is human nature. One cannot expect folks to act or behave better or worse than we ourselves. And purely from my two visits to the area, I find the local folks a lot more respectful than where I live. They still cling to country values and respect and concern. And I like that, and I believe that

Our nation as a whole is straying away from this quickly, becoming abrasive and self absorbed and serving, and violent too, because of a direct reason or causal.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

503 posts, read 926,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
I have a $50,000 60 month cd earning 2.1% annually.....and THAT is taxable income. Do you need me to do the math for you?
Interest on bank accounts is not taxable in TN. Is yours not a bank CD?

Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Quote:
Well stated Trevor. Pretty much what I said in a post a couple days ago. Human nature is human nature. One cannot expect folks to act or behave better or worse than we ourselves. And purely from my two visits to the area, I find the local folks a lot more respectful than where I live. They still cling to country values and respect and concern. And I like that, and I believe that

Our nation as a whole is straying away from this quickly, becoming abrasive and self absorbed and serving, and violent too, because of a direct reason or causal.
Kudos...this is very well stated! Thank you.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Interest on bank accounts is not taxable in TN. Is yours not a bank CD?
Yes, it is. I still live in Louisiana, for 54 years, and here all interest is taxable. But I just searched and learned as you stated, interest income from a bank is not taxed in TN. I was wrong, you are right. My apology to you sir.

I'm glad to learn this, that is like $1100 a year collectively which would not be taxable for me in TN. Another plus.

Backintheville2......

Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 AM

503 posts, read 926,932 times
Quote:
Yes, it is. I still live in Louisiana, for 54 years, and here all interest is taxable. But I just searched and learned as you stated, interest income from a bank is not taxed in TN. I was wrong, you are right. My apology to you sir.

I'm glad to learn this, that is like $1100 a year collectively which would not be taxable for me in TN. Another plus.

Backintheville2......
No reason to apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol