Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I know there has been a nationwide downtown revitilaztion movement in the US, just wondering if downtown/oldtown Kingsport has seen any new developments? I have read the post about the Kingsport Grocery Co. opening back up which I plan on checking out next time I'm there. My folks are getting up in age and are not in the best health (they live in Rogersville) and I was thinking about buying a place, possibly renting it out for now and moving in at a later date if needed. I used to live in Kingsport in the mid 90's for a few years. funny thing, back then there was only Cheers, Applebees, & Rush Street . Thanks in advance for any relplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
I know there's a great website for Kingsport Redevelopment (although I don't know the address) but you might find some answers there! I suspect there are lots of opportunities in downtown Kingsport to buy. I know former members of a downtown JC org who,with their investment group,have bought more than 20 buildings in downtown Kingsport and are rehabbing them. They're a young group of professionals whom I'm sure could help you out. The male member of the couple is referred to as the ex-officio mayor of Kingsport!
Good luck! If you don't find something, come on down to JC's downtown. My elderly mom's beautiful, spacious view condo is for sale there at an excellent price! (can I say that??)

Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Here's a Kingsport Times-News article from last year that you might find interesting:
Lofty living: Downtown apartments gaining popularity in Kingsport

Old 07-20-2008, 11:35 AM

43 posts, read 133,780 times
I currently live in a historic district in Kingsport and we have a few houses for sale/rent now. Check around the Park Hill/Hammond Park subdivision. You will find a few houses (tudor homes mostly) with signs out in the yards.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
Thanks everyone for their replies. I'll check it out.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Just a note about that article. It is a year old and the rates for those lofts are going UP, more like $800 to $1100 for 980 to 1200 square feet of living. It is really becoming the IN thing to live in the heart of the Model City in an "urban loft" style living.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM

43 posts, read 133,780 times
mbmouse, I feel very fortunate then... I am renting a tudor home with over 2500sq.ft for $725. There is no way we could fit all our belongings in the loft style apt. I suppose if you are single or couple with no kids you could do it.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
My brother bought a new to him house in Preston Forest. He moved and has been repainting, refinishing wood floors, etc. in his previous house near John Sevier Middle School. It is amazing how people in town *know* what's going on. Within a few days of the purchase of his new home people were calling and inquiring about purchasing his former home. People have just been knocking on the door and asking if it is going to be for sale. So many good properties never, ever come on the market. Word of mouth gets them sold in a heartbeat in Kingsport.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmiller View Post
mbmouse, I feel very fortunate then... I am renting a tudor home with over 2500sq.ft for $725. There is no way we could fit all our belongings in the loft style apt. I suppose if you are single or couple with no kids you could do it.
My gosh! You ARE so lucky! Hold on to that lease as long as you can.
Yes, I believe the majority of folks living in the lofts currently are young singles/couples. It is the draw of being able to walk to work, shopping, restaurants etc.
I agree, I personally could never live in any kind of apartment, I have to much stuff LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol