U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,291,895 times

Advertisements

Just for informational purposes, how would you feel if, to lower energy prices the TVA announce a new generation Nuclear Power plant?

Details:

It would be located near Boone Dam off HWY 75 (already TVA property) or near Eastman.

It would add 500-1000 good paying jobs.

It would lower electric costs 30-40%.

Thoughts, concerns, or ruminations?

Are there any other industries that seem like a natural fit for the TriCities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,365,318 times
I would vote Yes! Nuclear is about the cleanest, cheapest energy source there is. The word "nuclear" is the only issue I can see to stop something like this.
Heck I wanted nuclear fuel celled cars a few years ago and really do now with this gas mess.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM

31 posts, read 95,050 times
Go Nukes!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 3,952,256 times
The problem with nuclear power is the waste. Where do we store it and can we store it safely? Regardless, we have little choice in the future but to opt out for nuclear. I think we have to accept nuclear power but must insist on proper disposal/storage of waste materials.
We need to explore and implement other sources such as wind, solar, hydro, wave power generation, etc. Instead of looking for one source to supply all our needs we should be seeking energy alternates that work now. i.e., outside solar powered flood lights, and solar panels to recharge battery systems, energy efficient appliances and lighting, etc. The simplest and cheapest thing we can all do is just make sure if it is not in use turn it off.
Don

Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,967,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The problem with nuclear power is the waste. Where do we store it and can we store it safely? Regardless, we have little choice in the future but to opt out for nuclear. I think we have to accept nuclear power but must insist on proper disposal/storage of waste materials.
We need to explore and implement other sources such as wind, solar, hydro, wave power generation, etc. Instead of looking for one source to supply all our needs we should be seeking energy alternates that work now. i.e., outside solar powered flood lights, and solar panels to recharge battery systems, energy efficient appliances and lighting, etc. The simplest and cheapest thing we can all do is just make sure if it is not in use turn it off.
Don
Totally agree with you, Donsabi! *Except for* nuclear for the aforementioned waste disposal reasons and concerns about poisoning the earth more than we already have.
I'll definitely give away my age with this. But more than 20 years ago I was writing feature stories (as a news reporter) about all kinds of alternative energy sources from passive and active solar to wind, hydro power and battery operated cars. It was a big deal back then in CT and there was lots of excitement about it.. I knew a whole group of people who were making it happen and encouraging others to do the same. (I built a passive solar house - about 1500 sq. ft. and my heating costs in cold CT were around $250 for the year!)
So much time has been lost... What happened? Was it worries from big oil companies about losing their energy monopoly - as currently?
Things need to change and quickly - among them tax incentives for building *real* energy efficient houses (no more McMansions), financial rewards for creating new and innovative energy systems, an updated energy grid system and the list goes on.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 34,499 times
Bring it on. Even with the associated risks, I'm for almost anything (almost!!) that will decrease our dependence on oil. I agree with mbmouse in that the biggest issue to overcome wil be the word "nuclear." On a side note, I also believe its time to look at solar a little more, as well as wind, hydro, etc.

On on the pollution front, how much more damage could this possibly do with Eastman and Domtar (whatever its called this week) already "doing their part?"

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,291,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Totally agree with you, Donsabi! *Except for* nuclear for the aforementioned waste disposal reasons and concerns about poisoning the earth more than we already have.
I'll definitely give away my age with this. But more than 20 years ago I was writing feature stories (as a news reporter) about all kinds of alternative energy sources from passive and active solar to wind, hydro power and battery operated cars. It was a big deal back then in CT and there was lots of excitement about it.. I knew a whole group of people who were making it happen and encouraging others to do the same.
New age nuclear plants can reprocess much of their waste, and much of the environmental concern has been eliminated. I posed this topic because I feel nuclear power is the only power other than coal that this area is ideally suited to access. Note that Nuclear Fuel Services Inc‎ is located just down the road in Erwin, we have several sources of water, we have a university to provide skilled workers, and it could be operated or regulated by the TVA.

I would like for our local representatives to look into bringing the nuclear industry into the TriCities.

Ohh, and remember to vote Thursday everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol