U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 AM

426 posts, read 843,801 times

Advertisements

Actually, if you read the posts from the top, you'll see that I only mention Troutdale as the fine dining option in Bristol. Then I mentioned the Martha and The Tavern as options for Abingdon.

Nomad, sometimes threads expand and take on a life of their own. After it was implied that Bristol and Abingdon were lacking in restaurants (presumably compared to Johnson City and Kingsport) I made a quick list of "local places" in Abingdon and "good places" in downtown Bristol. Those places on that list (Bella's included) were not meant to be classified as fine dining nor did I say they were.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 AM

227 posts, read 505,607 times
There is an interesting article in the current issue of the Marquee about Troutdale. Also a good one about Kingsport and Music on the Square in Jonesborough.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:12 AM

5,567 posts, read 9,339,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Nomad, sometimes threads expand and take on a life of their own. After it was implied that Bristol and Abingdon were lacking in restaurants (presumably compared to Johnson City and Kingsport) I made a quick list of "local places" in Abingdon and "good places" in downtown Bristol. Those places on that list (Bella's included) were not meant to be classified as fine dining nor did I say they were.
Ah, if you have the license to be nitpicky, then do so I. Nope, I never implied that Bristol was lacking in "good places" or "fine dining" (at this point, I'm unsure of which we're conversing, and even more unsure of what boundaries, if any, define each) compared to Johnson City and/or Kingsport.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Sorry, let me stop laughing.

KIDDING!!!!!! Before I get anyone riled up. I'm sure Bristol and Abingdon have nice restaurants. I just don't know about them.
So, if I was incorrect about your post, then please tell me....What were you trying to say? It came across as very snarky.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM

63 posts, read 153,819 times
GSP--no offense intended, I was just amused at the mention of Bella's in this context even though I knew you weren't trying to pass it off as 'fine dining.' I had a good laugh to myself as I contemplated the 'fine dining' establishment of Bella's, with its courteous and responsive staff, excellent hygiene practices in the kitchen, and gourmet menu options

Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Nomad--now I like a good Bella's pizza when I'm in town (and I have missed it on my most recent visits)

Oh Lord, is there something I need to know regarding the hygiene practices at Bella's? Should I cross it off my list?

Now, I do miss Napoli's. But I always wondered if it was a front for some shady dealings. Can you scope out Machiavelli's for us? I don't know when I'll be in town again.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 AM

I've worked in food service before, and where I worked was very adamant about health code regulations. (Mind you, this was in the Hudson Valley area of New York, so standards may be different between the two places.) The main ones were wearing a head covering and always wearing gloves when you handle food. They do neither at Bella's, at least not with any consistency. Just go in and stand near the counter and watch them next time you're in (I'm talking about the one in Bristol, near Virginia Intermont, btw), and you'll see what I'm talking about. The only way they could be any more casual about it in there would be to lick their fingers or scratch themselves before they touch the food

I don't even want to know what goes on in the back of the house where you can't see. I also love how when you eat inside you'll often notice that the restaurant is full of empty tables that have gone un-bussed and un-cleaned for quite a while. Then finally, some stoned-looking employee will lazily amble down the aisle and clear the tables. It's about the sloppiest restaurant I know of, but dang, their food is good

Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Also, what struck you as "shady" about Napoli's?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Well, I guess I should say that my earliest impressions of Napoli's were formed in the 80s, when Napoli's had practically no business and was run my a bunch of Italian, New Yorkers. Now, let me say, that back 25-30 years ago, there was sooo little diversity in the Tri-Cities that almost everyone you'd meet from outside the area had transferred in with the larger companies like United Intermountain Telephone, Westinghouse, Raytheon, Univac (Sperry/Unisys) and they were basically educated, upper/middle, management types. Also, there have always been the rumblings/rumors of organized crime in Johnson City, so the natural questions popped into people's minds. I'm sure it was largely indicative of the local culture at the time.

Now, I loved Napoli's (they used to be on State Street across from Akard Funeral Home) and we ate there all the time. They said they had a truck that would come South from NY once a week and deliver cheese and other supplies to places in the South. Looking back it was probably totally legit as I'm sure the local police dept. watched them like hawks. They had such good food.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM

I'm with you--that sounds more like the fevered imaginations of locals shocked by the presence of anyone without a regional accent ("Italians from New York? They must be mobsters!" ) than anything reflective of reality, but who knows. I do wonder what drew them here. Maybe the low cost of living and the hope of doing a good business in an area with very little competition, maybe family. I hadn't realized they'd been here so long, that makes it even sadder that they shut down.

And where are you living now, btw? I'm getting ready to leave the area again myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol