U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:44 PM

94 posts, read 199,354 times
Question amtrak in JC?

Hello., Does amtrak serve the JC area? If so, where to?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,833,187 times
Don't we wish it did!
Sorry but no - although Johnson City was once a major, central NS-EW hub in U.S. railroad traffic and the city's history is directly tied to railroading.. Alas, the only signs left are a great old train depot and an award winning website, johnsonsdepot.com which is well worth visiting..
The closest you'd get to Amtrak is Greensboro, NC - a good 4-5 hour trip from this area - or a town in Virginia again about 4-5 hours away - maybe Charlottesville and an Amtrak link (I think maybe) in Roanoke.. Anyone here know?
I believe, too that nearby Bristol, VA was trying several years back to get passenger railroad service there - especially after their multi-million dollar investment in their beautiful old train depot..

(We may soon need to reinvest in our abandoned railroad tracks as gasoline goes through the roof!)

Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM

92 posts, read 187,875 times
Amtrak has service from Greeneville, SC and Charlotte, NC. Most trains from these places require you change trains in Washington DC.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,612,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post

(We may soon need to reinvest in our abandoned railroad tracks as gasoline goes through the roof!)
Tell me about it. I just spent two weeks in Toronto and used my car a couple times while I was there. It was so weird to come back to east TN and have to get in my car *every day*.

I love trains, streetcars and subways.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 AM

Trains 'are' great! I grew up down the street from an old depot in
Elberon NJ, and used to watch the trains (and caboose) and
wave to the people (who waved back) the conductor to blow the whistle. My first trip on a train was to that station from NC
as a teen (visiting) Got off at night, it was snowing and so quiet.,
it was surreal. Noone around, what memories it brought back!
Trains (esp the older ones) really do seem to have personalities like Thomas the train Lots of songs about trains. Trains are good,
trains are our friends. We need more trains! (choo choo!)

Old 08-22-2008, 07:56 AM

I grew up riding trains from CT to NYC, many times as a little person with my dad going to visit family in NYC, then later as teenager with friends south to NYC and north to Bridgeport and New Haven to shop.. As teens we enjoyed that inexpensive freedom of movement so much..
Some of my favorite memories are taking my dad to the train station very early in the morning (all bundled up cause it usually was cold) then later waiting alongside the tracks for the train to bring him home, along with all the other dads (not that many moms working in the city back then)! Always loved, too, going from CT to Washington, DC for a visit - and the scenery (some beautiful, some depressing) along the way..
The sounds of the train whistle in downtown JC always brings back those memories --- we even hear it in Limestone on the other side of 11E!

What a dumb mistake it was to give up all the rights-of- ways for train tracks.. We may need them in the future the way things are going.. Yes, "trains are (or should be) our friends".

Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 PM

What gives with the no passenger train there? Is it political?
If the people requested it, would they bring it back? Or is that
up to Amtrak etc. ?
It seems that it would be a boost for the city in many ways.,
People could get jobs elsewhere & bring that $ back to JC, (if the jobs are limited there)., dont' know as I am not there yet)
How cool it would be to be able to take a train to the coast or ?!
With the oil/gas prices, people would use the trains more (as they are elsewhere)! This generation needs them! Just makes sense.
Wasn't there a depot there? How much more would it be used today! Someone should get a petition going!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,598,236 times
I hear what you all are saying but personally, I don't want to see trains,shuttle trains, commuter trams and such here. You add that into the mix and you end up with growth to fast. Part of the charm, draw, appeal or what ever you want to call it, is that it doesn't grow to fast. For the most part, I have seen smart growth patterns in the Tri-Cities areas over the past 10 years or so. I for one, would like to keep it that way.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Not to worry Mbm - it won't happen in our lifetimes - not unless with the price of gas, people start hopping freight trains as a means of transportation..
Seriously though, I know one of the main drawbacks to passenger rail service is that freight companies control the lines/tracks and don't want to be bothered having to worry about passenger trains sharing those lines.. The only saving grace is the once a year fall foliage tour, I think to Chatanooga(?).. In the past it left from downtown JC. Have always wanted to take that trip but was usually busy that same weekend. It's supposed to be a fantastic and fun trip.. Maybe I'll treat myself and get my train fix this year - if it is scheduled!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, but it would be nice to be able to take a train somewhere..,
They had them there before, did it cause any problems or over growth?
If not for commuters at least for those that want to travel and see
where they are going (rather than by air) Trains are fun.
I read they were greatly missed when they closed the depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol