Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times

Advertisements

Mouse, I believe he was referring to the existence of actual "merge" turning lanes at cross-throughs on 11E (towards Greeneville). The problem during commuter traffic lots of people slow down drastically to be able to safely hang a left into the median. If we had actual lanes for them to get in, instead of just cross-throughs, that would solve the problem.

Then there's the idiots who refuse to use the emergency lane to turn right, effectively slowing traffic down in that lane, too.

So, yeah, my biggest gripe is traffic. People here still drive like they did fifty years ago, when there *was* no traffic. Lots of basic skills (accelerating at red lights, driving in the right lane when NOT going fast/passing, actually using on-off ramps, turning left into turn lanes while waiting to merge out into the highway, etc.) are virtually unknown to the majority of drivers native to the region. It doesn't bother me with old people - but when my parents and even people my age(!) are the offenders, that tells me that we have a population largely ignorant of common roadway customs and laws.

What else? Hmm. I have a few gripes, but they mainly have to do with the way the university handles (or mishandles) its charge of overseeing funds. Also the city largely ignores anything south of Market/John Exum, when the area has SO MUCH potential. And who the hell needs another sprawling strip mall in North JC? The south side, where I live, is ripe for revitalization, is compact which would greatly benefit mass-transit or the promotion of walking/biking to work/shopping... The fact that the city is relocating its annex out of downtown is just more proof that the current government is saying a big "no, thanks!" to those of us living in southern and eastern JC.

Wow, I hope I don't sound bitter about living here. I love Johnson City. The fact that my gripes are largely nitpicks (I'm not really talking about heavy congestion, crime, etc.) hopefully shows that I enjoy the city enough to want to see it live up to its potential. For me, Johnson City is the best of many worlds; it has most of the amenities that I want and need, and many more things that make it appealing to me personally. As a roots musician, it's like my own heaven on earth. (Today, I had a guitar class at ETSU. I've been to two jam sessions, last Sat. and last night. In two weekends, I'm hopping over to Rhythm and Roots.) And it's very close to the mountains and nature that are vital to me as a native Appalachian. And, if you really try, instead of just saying "Good grief, this place sucks," then you will really find tons of diversity - of race, of thought, of background, of activity - in the greater city. (Especially on the south side! ) I've heard that Knoxville is Austin without the hype; I think a fitting comparison would be that Johnson City is Asheville without the hype. (And is becoming more so all the time!... if only we could get our downtown going...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:18 AM

94 posts, read 386,123 times
Oops., lets start over (hand slipped & posted too soon)!
In a way the area sounds like a real neat place., but that it's a little
backward (with all due respect), which seems kind of hard to imagine in the 21st century, with the media etc.
It's possible to be conservative but not hateful of others., that, I dont'get.
Coming from a city where 90% are non native to the area, we get all sorts of folks here. Which, with the exception of some bad eggs,
(in any color eggs, btw) makes for an interestingly diverse picture of 'community' . I could not imagine people being bigots in this
day and age, having friends that are 'mixed' marriages.

What bugs me, are things like what was mentioned about people
trashing the roads and parks, etc. for others to deal with.
Rude & crude behavior., & violence !
If people are decent, & be greatful!!!
To all who are stuck in yesterday out there., You may be stuck on the road with a flat tire in the rain one day and have "those" people drive by & offer you help and a hot cup of coffee!

of mixed race marriages and or is it just one denominations views?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I failed to mention traffic in the area. In Kingsport we get the usual mixture of nascar wannabes and mccain look-alikes driving at 10mph just other places. However, while driving in major cities, Philadelphia PA, Greenville SC , I have always found that drivers will allow another driver an opportunity to enter the traffic flow when the traffic stops. I have yet to see that here in TN. When I am trying to enter the highway from a store with bumper to bumper traffic the drivers fix their eyes forward and will not allow a car to enter. After a reasonable amount of time waiting I must force my way in and am greeted with the sound of horns and words I don't think their minister taught them. Secondly, while in bumper to bumper traffic I will let in stopped vehicles trying to enter the flow. Once again my action creates an orchestra of horns and a choir of profanities while I read a bumper sticker that says, "What would Jesus do?

Don

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
I hate, hate, HATE all the litter! I know I shouldn't let it affect me but it really does drive me nuts, especially because I'm a native.

This is far too beautiful an area to have to suffer an onslaught of trash but far too many folks just don't give a flyin' flip. Worst of all are those drivers who toss out their cigarette butts with absolutely no regard for those behind them...pickup drivers who use their truck beds as rolling trash receptacles...illegal dumpers who have spoiled more banks & creek beds than you can shake a stick at...and those imbeciles who apparently feel compelled to ruin any particularly scenic spot by leaving their refuse behind.

FWIW, I don't know if any southern states are much better than TN when it comes to rampant littering, but this is my home state and as the old PSA goes,
"There ain't no lower class than Tennessee trash."
I agree with you. What is crazy is that there is an easy fix for this and I have no idea why it hasn't been looked at. In Sullivan Co (where I personally see more trash) if it won't fit in a trash can, you have to PAY $15 to have anything dumped at the land fill. And there are weird rules to be able to dump there (what ever you bring must be covered with only two types of tarps or they won't let you dump and they only take certain things.) There is no other place for someone to bring their trash for free. In Washington and Greene Counties, there are "convenience" centers where you can bring that old fridge, mattress, cabinet etc.
In an area where there are a lot of people living pay check to pay check, they just can not afford to remove and dump that stuff properly. Why make it so difficult? It is just asking for a mattress to be thrown down a hill side.
There is no place to bring those old tires, paint cans etc. without paying either.
If these counties want to cut down on trash, they HAVE to have a free place where poor folks can bring their trash,or a service once a month to have it picked up, simple as that.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
Oops., lets start over (hand slipped & posted too soon)!
In a way the area sounds like a real neat place., but that it's a little
backward (with all due respect), which seems kind of hard to imagine in the 21st century, with the media etc.
It's possible to be conservative but not hateful of others., that, I dont'get.
Coming from a city where 90% are non native to the area, we get all sorts of folks here. Which, with the exception of some bad eggs,
(in any color eggs, btw) makes for an interestingly diverse picture of 'community' . I could not imagine people being bigots in this
day and age, having friends that are 'mixed' marriages.

What bugs me, are things like what was mentioned about people
trashing the roads and parks, etc. for others to deal with.
Rude & crude behavior., & violence !
If people are decent, & be greatful!!!
To all who are stuck in yesterday out there., You may be stuck on the road with a flat tire in the rain one day and have "those" people drive by & offer you help and a hot cup of coffee!

of mixed race marriages and or is it just one denominations views?
Huh?
I personally am very confused with your post. I know this is a "what you don't like about the area" thread, but the people here are great and I would not call it "backwards" at all in the Tri-Cities. It is not a metropolis by any means but that is the wonderful thing about the area for the majority that live here, they don't want that. Nature is our greatest asset (well one of them) and it is liked to be left that way.
And there are many mixed marriages here, I am not really sure what you are saying/asking with that one?
I am not sure of the "hateful" people you are referring to...do you mean in the Tri-Cities area or where you are from? Same on violence, we do not have a lot of violence here, again are you speaking about where you are now?
Sorry, I am just very confused by your post.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I failed to mention traffic in the area. In Kingsport we get the usual mixture of nascar wannabes and mccain look-alikes driving at 10mph just other places. However, while driving in major cities, Philadelphia PA, Greenville SC , I have always found that drivers will allow another driver an opportunity to enter the traffic flow when the traffic stops. I have yet to see that here in TN. When I am trying to enter the highway from a store with bumper to bumper traffic the drivers fix their eyes forward and will not allow a car to enter. After a reasonable amount of time waiting I must force my way in and am greeted with the sound of horns and words I don't think their minister taught them. Secondly, while in bumper to bumper traffic I will let in stopped vehicles trying to enter the flow. Once again my action creates an orchestra of horns and a choir of profanities while I read a bumper sticker that says, "What would Jesus do?

Don
Since moving back to Kingsport in '02, I've been let in to traffic and allowed others to get in countless times, and not once has someone blown their horn at me. Such niceties are definitely more common here than what I experienced in my 14 years in Atlanta.

Quote:
Lack of shopping. I find myself shopping in Johnson City because I cannot find the product I want in Kingsport. Grocery stores are Krogers, Food City, and White's all with limited stock.
Two of the worst Walmarts I have seen anywhere.
I don't know what product(s) you're not finding in Kingsport, but the retail options are quite strong compared to like-size cities (< 50,000 pop.) and getting better all the time.

Kroger has a good ethnic-foods section, the new Food City at Crown Point Shopping Center is huge (55,000 sq. ft.) and very nice, and I also like Ingles in Colonial Heights.

I've been in probably 20-25 Wal-Mart Super Stores in TN, NC, SC & GA, and the two in Kingsport are certainly no worse than most, IMO.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 AM

The topic of this post is "what 'don't' you like about the area?."

Don

I am not in the real estate business.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM

43 posts, read 133,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
However, while driving in major cities, Philadelphia PA, Greenville SC , I have always found that drivers will allow another driver an opportunity to enter the traffic flow when the traffic stops.
Don
Oh my, Don. I lived in Greenville SC (I definitely would not categorize it anywhere near being a major city!) for 3 years then moved to Philadelphia, PA for 2 years. You must have just been driving through the area and been VERY lucky if you were not treated rudely on the road. I can honestly say, after traveling to over 40 states and 7 countries, Greenville and Philadelphia are ranked in the top 5 places that have terrible drivers as well as roads. The road markings in Greenville are so bad they are comical.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 PM

jkmiller,
I used those cities as examples knowing that they are tough areas to drive in. My point was that even in these congested traffic cities many people still have the courtesy to allow others to enter a bumper to bumper traffic situation. Here in Kingsport even with the minor traffic volume I seldom witness the same.
Once again, he topic of this post is "what 'don't' you like about the area?."

Don

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM

94 posts, read 386,123 times
OK.,whoa..,Sorry, Let me see if I can dig myself out of this one!
I was not making a comment about the people there., I have not been there... (yet)!
I was responding to 'other posts' I have read on this
thread that have said the people seemed backwards about things
there, (like 'mixed marriages' and the way folks who have never lived anywhere else, view things). Other peoples views of the area.
Just going on what someone else wrote.
I was "under the impression" that a certain percentage of the population there are sort of living in a vaccume of sorts (from what I have read) ? people who have never left the area & see things in an old way.
Then, I was giving examples of what sort of things
I would NOT like ""anywhere"" I live (i.e. people who are rude & crude, disrespectful of others (which includes trashing the landscape) and of course violence.
and defending the good in people, reguardless of race, because
it's so silly to me that people actually still do have problems with
'other races' in various parts of the country.
Tucson is a melting pot of every kind of people, (esp due to the AFB here) I grew up not thinking twice about 'race', so i was on a soap box.
Anyway, I have lived in a small town in the northwest and in the south and can understand how views can vary by region.
I guess I was going on what I have experienced, trying to imagine
what it is like in JC. (why I am asking so many questions!)
Does that make sense?
Sorry if I wrote it weird, I should have been sleeping! ZZZzzzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol