Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM

150 posts, read 425,023 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Let me try a better introduction to the state of TN. (JMT and GrannyLois know what I'm talking about.) I've been looking around at different Colleges of Pharmacy throughout the SE US (VCU and Hampton U in VA, UGA in Athens, UF in Tampa, JAX or Gainesville, SIUE in Edwardsville, IL) as well as ETSU in Johnson City, TN. I just wanted to say hi, introduce myself, because I am kinda new to the forums, and see what the town is like. Any advice or suggestions.

One thing that worries me is the train tracks. Looking at the maps online, they go right by the campus on three sides. Do they blow the horns at night. I grew up in Miami 20 miles from the nearest train tracks, but in Orlando, I was only half a mile. In Sydney I was right across the street (nightmare.) Are they allowed to blow the horns at night, and if so, how far away should I be looking to live so I don't hear them. Anybody recommend good places to live. I'll probably buy a 2/2 or 3/2 condo and rent out the other rooms to other students.

You'll notice that I mentioned living in three big cities (I also studied in Madrid, Spain.) Johnson City is probably rather differrent, eh? (Major understatement.) That is what I am looking for. You know my last vacation? Hiking in the mountains. 11 days 200 miles. I visited a friend in Asheville in February 2000 and loved it. Comparisions between Asheville and JC? Similar? I have only seen the leaves turn twice, never driven in snow (There wasn't really snow on the street there in Asheville, I suppose it was well salted. So if it's snowing and you see a black Acura driving really slow like some freakin idiot, that's me) and only ever seen snow about 6 times, so I admit I am in for a shock. But I can't stand Miami, I'm dieing to get out, and I really like the idea of a little town in the Mountains. It's too hot in Miami, too many people, traffic sucks, it never gets cold, it NEVER snows and I don't like it. I like snow and cold. Spent a winter in Michigan, didn't really bother me. Though admittedly maybe I won't like snow after digging out my car, or slipping on an icy sidewalk and busting my ass. Maybe what I need is some snow to help me appreciate the warmth of Miami.

Anyways, I know I am going to love the area, the mountains, lakes and forests. What about town. I NEVER go to the clubs on South beach. When I go out in Miami, I go to one of the more laid back bars in Coconut Grove or South Miami. Problem is, these are disappearing to be replaced by fancy clubs where they charge a $10 cover and $8 drinks. I've heard Nightlife in JC is laid back, live music, venues. True? Sweet!

Finally the last thing. Tennessee State Residency. I am seriously thinking about staying. Obviously I don't know the place and this might be a mistake, but I am definately not going back to Miami. If I don't like the small town thing, then after graduation I can stay in TN and move to Memphis or Nashville (both cities that I have lots of great things about. I love the music scene in both cities, Elvis, Opry and Country.) I have heard that Tennessee is the only state in the country that doesn't impose a minimum time of living in the state before one can apply for state residency for tuition purposes. Anyone know if this is true. If I go to Georgia or Virginia or Illinois, I will apply for state residency my second year, but I would love to apply my first year. Any suggestions on this front. I always had Athens as my first choice, but this factor may change that.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 AM

408 posts, read 1,971,345 times
I have heard that Tennessee is the only state in the country that doesn't impose a minimum time of living in the state before one can apply for state residency for tuition purposes. Anyone know if this is true. If I go to Georgia or Virginia or Illinois, I will apply for state residency my second year, but I would love to apply my first year. Any suggestions on this front. I always had Athens as my first choice, but this factor may change that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read before that it you have to live here one year to be a resident. There is a link on here that should tell you for sure: http://www.etsu.edu/admissions/ResidencyForms.asp (broken link)

Last edited by insanesmooch; 02-13-2007 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: didn't seperate the quote

Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,666 times
Default train tracks

The only trcks that are used on a reg bassis are the ones that east to west about 2.5 to 3 miles away and they dont blow the horns at night usually. there is only one crossing that crosses the road and it gates. the rest are above the street

Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 73,182 times
Okay a couple of quick answers to your post. ETSU's pharmacy is brand new and their intention is to train pharmacists to stay in the region. Now, everyone knows that students will travel wherever the jobs are- but the niche that the College of Medicine has found is rural medicine- I can venture to guess the same will happen with pharmacy.

Next- ETSU and Johnson City are not particularly known for the party/club/live music scene. If this is what interests you I would suggest UGA - Athens. On the other hand there are wonderful quaint "watering holes" and music clubs. I would recommend that you visit the Down Home and the downtown area on the weekend during school sessions. They offer a lot of unique music, ales, and meeting places. It is more laid back then you might expect - but they are exceptional.

Snow- your joking right??? In the last 5 years we have probably had 1 measurable snowfall. The biggest problem we have in the area when snow storms are forecast are people running to grocery store and idiots that do not know how to drive. Icing on the roadways can be an issue as in most mid-south states.

As for condos- they are plentiful in the area. I would suspect that you would have no problem finding a reasonable one away from the railroad tracks. JC is not a huge city but it is like anywhere else - there are good and parts.

Good luck- If you choose JC I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,853,825 times
If patying is what you want then check out the University of Florida in Gainesville. The school motto is " The best five or six years of your life ". GO GATORS!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM

7,497 posts, read 17,100,431 times
During my time at UTK, it was pretty much party central, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol