U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:05 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,536,332 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Anyone know of a nice place to park a 31ft Travel trailer with full hook ups for a few months in East TN, or do you know of a listing of various RV type places?

I'm moving from WA state to TN via RV (first time RV'er) I'll be "test driving" various parts of E TN to see what each area is like, but I'd like a nice place with full amenities that we could stay in for a few months (in case we like the area enough to shop for a home).

I'm closing on my house here in WA and with no mortgage to pay, plan on spending a month or two driving across country, seeing a few sites along the way.

Anywho,

Thanks for any input or websites that I can check out.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
I'll see what I can find for ya around here Tony.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Ok Tony, I found some, as it is specific contact info of these places, I can't post it here (I have to follow the rules too! ) so please check your PM, hope one of these will work for you and your family!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 5,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Ok Tony, I found some, as it is specific contact info of these places, I can't post it here (I have to follow the rules too! ) so please check your PM, hope one of these will work for you and your family!
I'd be interested in what you found as well.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:00 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,523 times
Tony: I'd highly recommend you join the Good Sam Club and get their big catalog of campgrounds. They rate them, and are up to date. They have the best discounts and information on RV'in that you will find anywhere. We belonged for years and relied on Good Sam all the time.

When possible we always stayed in the National Forest campgrounds (Great Smokey National Forest is awesome! and has several entraces in TN). With that size camper you won't be limited to a pull-thru spot so you will have more choices. If you buy the "blue tank on wheels" you can go to the dump station when necessary and that will open up several more options for you on where to stay. Sometimes a campground will have full hookups and other spots without full hookup just power and water.

Have fun ! www.GoodSamClub.com

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I'd be interested in what you found as well.
Sending, please check PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Mbmouse,

As always, I'm highly impressed with your willingness to help total strangers and being a tireless one woman welcoming committee to TN!!! I received your PM, you are the best

Thanks to all and the Good Sam's idea, still shopping for my RV, I'm told you get a Good Sam's membership when you buy new.

Tony

Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Mbmouse,

As always, I'm highly impressed with your willingness to help total strangers and being a tireless one woman welcoming committee to TN!!! I received your PM, you are the best

Thanks to all and the Good Sam's idea, still shopping for my RV, I'm told you get a Good Sam's membership when you buy new.

Tony
well i wouldn't say that. We bought new just last year a 30 travel trailer and didn't get any "special membership" with Good Sam club but i do enjoy their magazine but one thing i may say about buying a new RV or camper, their value drops real fast on them so be aware of that.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 PM

You are most welcome Tony, and I agree with Daniellfort, you can still get financing on a used one. If it is the same as with cars, if it has less than a certain amount of miles on it, financing is the same but you don't have to eat the "first drive off the lot" devalue. It might be A LOT cheaper that way!
Here is a thought also, seeing as the wife and kids are staying in WA until school is out and you will be coming to Tn first (still the plan?) You could always drive on vehicle here then buy an RV when you get here. I know there are several RV lots with really good reputations around Tri-Cities.
That would save you A LOT on gas plus you wouldn't have to worry about pulling a vehicle. This is of course depending on if the wife will allow you to pick one out without her approval hehehehehe. I know how us woman can be about that stuff. Just a thought.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Actually buying an RV in TN would be much cheaper there than here, but we'll be using the RV here for the wife to stay in and then travel the country on the way to TN. We have to be out of our house here at the end of march, plan on using the rent savings to help offset the cost of the RV, i.e. instead of paying an apartment rent + utilities, use that on the RV instead. This is one of the only justifications that I can see for buying an RV.

As to buying used vs new, make complete sense, but the used prices here are on 2-3k less than a new one with warranty, so unless I can pay substantially less for a used one, I'll take a new one instead. Besides, I'm a blood thirsty shopper, I will shop till I drop for a good deal, and the dealer may make some money, but not much on anything I buy

I'm still shopping but it's hard to pick out which brand is best, from most people I meet, they say Jayco is best, but who knows.

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol