Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 PM

33 posts, read 139,596 times

Advertisements

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can recommend a steak/seafood restaurant for me to take my hubby to on his birthday, anywhere from Greeneville to JC. I'm trying to find something with a great atmosphere and somewhat fancy. I would really appreciate any recommendations as I am still fairly unfamiliar with the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
We love the General Morgan Inn in Greeneville! Very charming and quite elegant (beautiful 2-story entry with blazing fireplace and lots of comfy armchairs).. Great place for that special meal and, with the atmosphere you get, the prices are really quite good!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Upscale dining!

Oh gee, that's one area in which this region sort of lags behind. I agree with Gen Morgan Inn, maybe Wellington's at the Carnegie (?)...

Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Picasso's in JC is also very good, pretty neat atmosphere too.
Home
If you want some dinner and dancing, Russo's have opened a second location in JC in the Kroger shopping center just off Roan st.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
The Peerless on Roan St.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
cheddars in jc is excellent,good prices too.theyre across the hwy from kmart

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kde38 View Post
cheddars in jc is excellent,good prices too.theyre across the hwy from kmart
Cheddars is good and all, but I wouldn't consider it "upscale." It is pretty much a glorified Applebees in my opinion.

General Morgan Inn in Greeneville (that is pretty much it in Greeneville)
Peerless or Wellington's in JC

Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM

31 posts, read 130,668 times
Default Bristol?

If you can make it up to Bristol, there is the Troutdale Dining Room: The Troutdale Dining Room 412 6th Street, Bristol, TN 37620 | 423.968.9099

No, I do not work for them or own them.

The peerless and Wellington's are also good

Peppermill in Abingdon

Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,566 times
The Troutdale is wonderful (as I recall). I was taken there *once* for my birthday 8 years ago! Yes, "upscale" for sure and very appropriate for a special occasion..

Not that I want to promote anything out of this area (which unfortunately boasts too few of those memorable places to dine) but only yesterday our whole family of 14 was treated by my mom to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. It was a very special occasion for our family. My first time there - and likely the last ($$$$) although I hope not! What an incredible experience and what a remarkably impressive place it is. If you haven't ever visited, it's well worth going for a drink at least. The massive stone architecture reminds one of a castle - and I've never seen such a humongous fireplace (in the massive lobby) in my entire life! We sat outside on an expansive balcony where they had a long row of heaters to keep outdoor diners comfortable (not terribly energy efficient though). It looked out over the mountains and the city of Asheville, and below rolling green lawns (golf course) and fountains. The food was delicious - and really not too bad price-wise considering the beautiful setting. The lunch menu ran about $13-$25 for smallish to medium size portions but was exceptionally good - and all the big guys seemed content! Deserts were yummy but ran $8-$9 (a little steep). Lots of the 'rich and famous' apparently stay there (pics of them abound in the halls) and my niece said she'd heard someone say the star of 'Home Alone' was currently staying there - that is, if you care about that kind of stuff.

I had always hoped - before it was sold - that 'The Oaks' in JC would become a fine dining restaurant open to the public. Not that it's nearly as grand as the Grove Park Inn but it is quite impressive. It would have provided a perfect restaurant setting - I believe it's now an alternative medical center and a spa.. Anyone know for sure?
Anyway, we're not that far from Asheville and sort of connected by the ease of 1-26 driving.
Just wanted to share another type of dining scenario for folks who might want something a little different than what's easily available here..

Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM

33 posts, read 139,596 times
Whoa! I didn't expect so many choices lol. Now I'm really confused, guess it's good that I have time to plan this. I probably will end up going to all of the suggested places at some point though. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and look forward to visiting all of them! Thanks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol