Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,587 times

Advertisements

We have an extended family and would love to live fairly close to one another. If we are looking at an existing home on 3+ acres, how many hoops do you have to jump through to build a 2nd home and a workshop(business use).
Meaning are there rules for one house per so many acres? And how difficult to get mixed residential/commercial use? We want to be relatively close to the Johnson City area, like the Gray and Piney Flats areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 82,296 times
I don't know the answer to your question but I just bought 2 acres in Church Hill with 2 homes on it and a garage/workshop on it.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
There are a lot of mixed use zoned land around the Tri-Cities area. It is not very hard at all to get the permits to build an extra house on your own property. That is if you are out of city limits, in city limits it is a different story all together and you might not be able to do so. Heck, in the county you do not have to ask anyone any permission to put up a shed, fence etc. like it is in a lot of other states/cities.
I would just check with your Realtor and then the county office in which you are planing to purchase for the exact rules and regs for building on that exact land before you buy, that way you will know for sure!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively View Post
We have an extended family and would love to live fairly close to one another. If we are looking at an existing home on 3+ acres, how many hoops do you have to jump through to build a 2nd home and a workshop(business use).
Meaning are there rules for one house per so many acres? And how difficult to get mixed residential/commercial use? We want to be relatively close to the Johnson City area, like the Gray and Piney Flats areas.

Thanks!
My parents, a few years ago, sold 1 of the 3 acres their house is located on. The people who bought the 1 acre lot, built a house right next to my parents house, plus built a rather large garage/workshop behind their house.
I wish my folks never sold that land as they had a beautiful yard. The house built next to them is so close, I could probably spit out the window and hit the new house. This is in Washington County (Boones Creek area). My folks original land bordered on the Johnson City City Limits.
There are two houses down the street from my folks built so close, they have a covered walkway between them. I assume both house are occupied by members of the same family.
So, it doesn't sound as if Washington County has any restrictions on how close houses can be built.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 8,587 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. We will definitely check into it as we settle on an area, I just wanted to get a little information up front.

Thanks again and can't wait to visit at the end of the month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol