Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Abingdon: charming little town, beautiful hills, friendly people, location, job interview

Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 AM

27 posts, read 62,844 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to give an "e-shout-out" to this region. First a brief backstory.

My wife and I are both from a tiny community in southern WV (about a three-hour drive from Bristol). For the past five-plus years, we've lived in Portsmouth, VA. Anyone familiar with Hampton Roads can imagine the culture shock. We were okay with that ... until the birth of our first child in July '07. Now, with elementary school just around the corner (in the grand scheme of things), we don't like the idea of raising our daughter in such an urban area, with gang problems and whatnot an in-your-face issue.

So, long story short, I find a job in Abingdon. I get the offer. It's a pretty significant pay-cut, but I'm still ready to roll. So now, the only holdup is getting our house here to sell... which could very well end up costing us this opportunity.

BUT... whether we end up moving there or not, I just wanted to sing this area's praises. Before the job interview, I was only vaguely aware of the area. I'd visited Bristol once before, but it was in the early '90s, when I was 18.

But I was just blown away by so many things about the area in the couple of days we spent here last month for my interview. I've always loved the hills, first and foremost. And they don't come much prettier than this area. My mom and dad always dreamed of retiring to a farm in the Fancy Gap area, just a little south on I-77. They never made it, though... but that's another story.

Another BIG thing that will jump out to an outsider visiting is the people. They're friendly, open, kind. It's just an amazing breath of fresh air. Even without the beautiful hills, the people would make it a great place to live.

One final thing that makes the area so attractive to me is the location. My wife's parents still live in our hometown region, so it's much closer to them. It's even closer to the Gatlinburg area, which we also love. It's also a relatively short drive to a host of other places, including Charlotte.

And, to narrow out Abingdon for just a minute, I truly believe it's the prettiest little town I've ever seen. I fell in love with it.

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. I never really got anywhere with this post, but I just felt the need to sing the praises of the area. Wish us luck in our efforts to make this move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Following up...

After my initial post, I decided to check in with my potential Abingdon employer. They're willing to wait for me as long as it takes. So that's pretty exciting news!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,802,875 times
Very nice post, hrhf! It's always enjoyable to hear non-natives rave about our little neck of the woods. I hope you get your Portsmouth home sold very soon so you can join us for good!

I also love Abingdon (for those who aren't familiar w/ the town, it's near Bristol in Southwest VA) and wouldn't mind settling down there one bit.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM

290 posts, read 1,053,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhf View Post
I just wanted to give an "e-shout-out" to this region. First a brief backstory.

My wife and I are both from a tiny community in southern WV (about a three-hour drive from Bristol). For the past five-plus years, we've lived in Portsmouth, VA. Anyone familiar with Hampton Roads can imagine the culture shock. We were okay with that ... until the birth of our first child in July '07. Now, with elementary school just around the corner (in the grand scheme of things), we don't like the idea of raising our daughter in such an urban area, with gang problems and whatnot an in-your-face issue.

So, long story short, I find a job in Abingdon. I get the offer. It's a pretty significant pay-cut, but I'm still ready to roll. So now, the only holdup is getting our house here to sell... which could very well end up costing us this opportunity.

BUT... whether we end up moving there or not, I just wanted to sing this area's praises. Before the job interview, I was only vaguely aware of the area. I'd visited Bristol once before, but it was in the early '90s, when I was 18.

But I was just blown away by so many things about the area in the couple of days we spent here last month for my interview. I've always loved the hills, first and foremost. And they don't come much prettier than this area. My mom and dad always dreamed of retiring to a farm in the Fancy Gap area, just a little south on I-77. They never made it, though... but that's another story.

Another BIG thing that will jump out to an outsider visiting is the people. They're friendly, open, kind. It's just an amazing breath of fresh air. Even without the beautiful hills, the people would make it a great place to live.

One final thing that makes the area so attractive to me is the location. My wife's parents still live in our hometown region, so it's much closer to them. It's even closer to the Gatlinburg area, which we also love. It's also a relatively short drive to a host of other places, including Charlotte.

And, to narrow out Abingdon for just a minute, I truly believe it's the prettiest little town I've ever seen. I fell in love with it.

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. I never really got anywhere with this post, but I just felt the need to sing the praises of the area. Wish us luck in our efforts to make this move...
I wish you the best of luck on your move and your new life in the Tri-Cities area. I hope everything works out for the best for you. I envy you!

I am in Nashville and would love to move back to the Tri-Cities area, but in my industry (television editor), I don't think I could make enough money at a TV Station there to support my family, unless my wife goes back to work. I promised her, when we married 10 years ago, she would not have to work.

She home schools her son. The High School he is zoned for here in Nashville is horrible.

I, during my 55 years of living, have lived in Johnson City (3 different places), Kingsport and Bluff City. I love that area.

Best wishes to you and your family!
Buzz from Nashville

Old 12-12-2008, 08:36 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Great post,hrhf.

I have to agree with everything you've said. I hope that things work out for you! I was able to visit Abingdon on my trip down there,Charming little town!

Hope you sell your home and find peace no matter your location.

Josh

Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 PM

61 posts, read 170,013 times
Thats how we ended up here... I was born and raised in St. Louis. My hubby worked out of town 100% of the time... we needed a change. Our youngest daughter was 2 at the time. He was contacted by a recruiter. He came out here for an interview.. drove across the bridge over South Holston (421?) and over the mountain and he was in love. I think it took less than 3months from that initial interview until we had moved here. We have been here 4 years now. I miss our family and friends back in St. Louis, but I am thankful every single day to live here in TN! I hope your home sells quickly! I really like Abingdon alot.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
What a very nice post hrhf. I too moved here from elsewhere. It would take a crow bar to get me out of here and that would be kicking and screaming LOL!. I have two kids in the schools in this area and we all love it. Hopefully you can too call this home very soon.
Merry Christmas!

Last edited by mbmouse; 12-15-2008 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks for all the well-wishes, folks. Happy holidays.

And BuzzCam: Where there's a will, there's a way. Don't give up. Keep your ear to the ground.

I'm taking a pretty substantial pay cut, but I think we can make it work. The cost of living's lower, and my wife will likely make a little more in the area. Plus, there's the whole "quality of life" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol