Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM

45 posts, read 99,679 times

Advertisements

hello soon to be neighbors,
My wife & I are moving to the tri-cities area the end of this month & i'm looking for some info on the area. I hope it matches what i've "learned" online, because it sounds just short of heaven. If someone could confirm a few things for me , i'd be very grateful.
1.) CRIME!- My "research" has shown that it is nearly non-existant?
2.)COST OF LIVING- I currently own a home in Tampa FL (nuf said?)
3.)RECREATION- My wife & I love camping & especially FISHING.
4.)WORK-What is the pay scale like? (I am a painter of 20yrs)
We will be living in Church Hill & I figure to have to travel to at
least Kingsport, Johnson City & possibly even Bristol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,463,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavers View Post
hello soon to be neighbors,
My wife & I are moving to the tri-cities area the end of this month & i'm looking for some info on the area. I hope it matches what i've "learned" online, because it sounds just short of heaven. If someone could confirm a few things for me , i'd be very grateful.
1.) CRIME!- My "research" has shown that it is nearly non-existant?
2.)COST OF LIVING- I currently own a home in Tampa FL (nuf said?)
3.)RECREATION- My wife & I love camping & especially FISHING.
4.)WORK-What is the pay scale like? (I am a painter of 20yrs)
We will be living in Church Hill & I figure to have to travel to at
least Kingsport, Johnson City & possibly even Bristol.
1. Crime is in the tri-cities, but there is not a lot of violent crime. It is mainly domestic or property.

2. Cost of living is a whole lot lower than Florida. There seems to be multiple people on here from FL that now live in East TN.

3. There is a ton of recreation. Being in the tri-city area, you are right by some great trout & small mouth fishing. Below the South Holston dam (in Bluff City near Bristol) you can wade (when they are not generating water) and fish there. However, if you are going to fish for trout, you need the trout stamp on your fishing license. It is very expensive, but it takes care of the trout (Last year the fishing license with trout stamp was around $46 - that also included hunting). The Nolichucky River (near Erwin, about 45 minutes from Church Hill) has some great small mouth action. There is a lot of campgrounds. Check out this web site for some info on campgrounds around the area:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/

4. The pay will probably not be equal, however, I really don't know what a painter makes. The good news is that your travel time will not be bad. From Church Hill, you can get to any of the tri-cities in under 20 minutes.

Hope that helps

Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times
Angler beat me to it, but yep, I second what he (she?) said!
I work a stones throw from Church Hill and it is a nice quite area. There is also the Holston River that has many fishing spots, that would be the closest to you. However even though the Holston runs right by Church Hill, B.A.E. ( Used to be Holston Defense. It is an ammunitions plant) it is owned by the government and you are not allowed to get close to it so you have to go up or down stream from it to be able to legally fish there.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM

45 posts, read 99,679 times
APPALACHIANANGLER/MBMOUSE, thanks so much for your input. We are REALLY looking forward to arriving to our new home & getting settled in!
The more I read on this forum, the more I KNOW I'm going to love NE TN & more importantly the people in it. You folks have demonstrated a genuine kindness without being "sickeningly sweet", true southern hospitality in my opinion. Thanks again for your help & I look forward to continued correspondence with ya'll & others on this forum.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,233,099 times
Happy to help! Stop by when you get into town and I will help you get acclimated to the area. I hope you will love it half as much as I do here!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,262 times
The holston river has one of the best smallmouth bass fisheries in the state. Float down from Church hill to christians bend boat ramp. its a 5 or so hour float but you will catch fish the whole time. try small minnow type lures or tubes. 3 to 4 inch grubs work awsome too.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM

28 posts, read 130,774 times
Default It is a lovely area.

Houses are cheaper but then again so are wages.

I love the mountains here and really miss them any time we go to the beach or etc where there are none.

I don't know what kind of painter you are but I talked to a guy last year who did house painting and he wanted 500.00 to paint my living room, foyer,kitchen, and hallway. My house is a 1100 sq foot split-foyer. He said he would take 250.00 if I bought the paint myself.

( He came to my garage sale........I don't "know" this guy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol