Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM

110 posts, read 229,368 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly a lurker here, but I ran across something today of which I was totally unaware. For those of us that subscribe to DirecTV, apparently we may lose both NBC and Fox later this week. (No SuperBowl provider! )

WCYB has a news release out regarding this at WCYB - DirecTV May Remove This Station From Their Service (http://wcyb.com/DirecTV-May-Remove-This-Station-From-Their-Service/3650951 - broken link)

It has been bad enough that DirecTV has not been able to provide HD NBC and Fox, but now we're possibly going to lose them altogether.

I emailed DirecTV about this. I'd encourage others affected to do the same. I suspect that most DirecTV subscribers in this area are totally unaware of this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,189 times
This is just a publicity stunt by the media company to get people to contact Directv. Not that it is a bad thing to contact Directv, but the service will not be cut off for very long, if at all. They will get their negotiations worked out and everything will be fine.

If it NBC and FOX were to permanently be removed from Directv (which they wont), I would consider moving to Dish. Never will I again have service with Comcast, they have lost my business forever no matter what the circumstance.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Dish went through all that a couple months ago. They were having trouble getting a contract signed with some of the broadcast companies. Then you start getting advertising from both Dish or Direct, and the station owners blaming the other and telling you to contact the other one. I've had Dish for 10 years and had Direct for several years before that. I've seen it on both.
jch, I went through that with our cable service where I used to live. That was when you had local owners of your cable. The way ours was, if your cable went out over the weekend, and you called him at his house, he would tell you to call him at work Monday morning. Some of the employees would slip out and fix it.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Also, while this would certainly would impact us locally; these types of issues are happening in a lot of other places across the country. I did a quick Search and saw these same types of discussions in other forums. These things usually get worked out.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:31 AM

16 posts, read 50,744 times
I work at WCYB. We got an email around 8 this evening saying that the conflict had been resolved and to remove the commercials and online articles. That sure didn't take long.

Greg

Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpeck View Post
I work at WCYB. We got an email around 8 this evening saying that the conflict had been resolved and to remove the commercials and online articles. That sure didn't take long.

Greg
Thanks for the update Greg. I look forward to more posts from you in the future.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 AM

110 posts, read 229,368 times
Greg, thanks for letting us know. I received word from a contact at DirecTV as well last evening that this had been resolved. I was really surprised that as you noted WCYB already had taken down the web page sometime last night. That didn't take long to update.

I do have one other question for you, if you know and if you can say. Any news on when DirecTV might be distributing your HD signal? Just about everything I watch now is in HD, but having to watch The Office, 24, AI, football games, and other things in SD is....disappointing.

Thanks for sharing the news with us that you did.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM

16 posts, read 50,744 times
I work in news, so I'm not sure. I really wasn't aware that they weren't carrying the HD signal.

Greg

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
Default local hd

[;6981381]I'm mainly a lurker here, but I ran across something today of which I was totally unaware. For those of us that subscribe to DirecTV, apparently we may lose both NBC and Fox later this week. (No SuperBowl provider! )

WCYB has a news release out regarding this at WCYB - DirecTV May Remove This Station From Their Service (http://wcyb.com/DirecTV-May-Remove-This-Station-From-Their-Service/3650951 - broken link)

It has been bad enough that DirecTV has not been able to provide HD NBC and Fox, but now we're possibly going to lose them altogether.

I emailed DirecTV about this. I'd encourage others affected to do the same. I suspect that most DirecTV subscribers in this area are totally unaware of this situation.[/quote]

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
i am thinking of switching from dish to direct because they tell me i can get all my locals in hd. but according to these post that is not true. is direct not telling me the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol