Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 AM

13 posts, read 13,928 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I happened on this thread while searching for active retirement areas as alternatives to A$heville and Knoxville. From what I've seen and read so far, the greater JC area holds a lot of promise - especially as we're looking for moderately high elevation and 4 distinct seasons. I was wondering if someone local could recommend some kind of itinerary that we could use to become more acquainted with the area from a neighborhood standpoint. When we recently traveled to Asheville and Knoxville, we had really only realtor-type listing info to go off of and couldn't really feel how "connected' each area was. I'd love to get insight on new master-planned communities and their proximity to town activities. Since we're a few years away from the actual move, we'd like to visit the area for the first time knowing inside info about locales/neighborhoods that offer great future access to shopping/dining/downtown, etc. We're probably looking at building a home in a community, in the 500k price range. If this inquiry makes sense, thanks for a reply!

Last edited by ebhjr212; 11-29-2015 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebhjr212 View Post
Greetings. I happened on this thread while searching for active retirement areas as alternatives to A$heville and Knoxville. From what I've seen and read so far, the greater JC area holds a lot of promise - especially as we're looking for moderately high elevation and 4 distinct seasons. I was wondering if someone local could recommend some kind of itinerary that we could use to become more acquainted with the area from a neighborhood standpoint. When we recently traveled to Asheville and Knoxville, we had really only realtor-type listing info to go off of and couldn't really feel how "connected' each area was. I'd love to get insight on new master-planned communities and their proximity to town activities. Since we're a few years away from the actual move, we'd like to visit the area for the first time knowing inside info about locales/neighborhoods that offer great future access to shopping/dining/downtown, etc. We're probably looking at building a home in a community, in the 500k price range. If this inquiry makes sense, thanks for a reply!
I would start in Jonesborough and look into various neighborhoods. If you want more suburban and upscale, The Ridges is a good choice. For a more urban choice, the Gump, Gump Addition, and Tree States in Johnson City all have good access to the city.

There really aren't mastered planned communities in the Tri-Cities.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:16 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,245,641 times
Hi eb. I'm not a local but I've been on the same mission as you are for the past 3 years. Having visited JC 3 times now I can tell you it's definitely where I'm hoping we end up, wife is still a bit apprehensive about moving so far from home (Maryland).

In a nutshell here are my thoughts for what they are worth: Johnson City and Jonesborough are really nice, both offer mountain views with Jonesborough having a slight edge. Since they are only about 12 miles apart not really a big difference one vs the other. Downtown Jonesborough has the old time town feel where JC feels younger due to the revitalization (more about that in a minute) and the prevalence of college kids from ETSU. The kids and the larger downtown area with more to do makes my lean JC but halfway in between may work too. As for the revitalization it is amazing the difference that downtown is from my first visit in 2012. Still a ways to go but it's really rocking now and will only get better.

As for neighborhoods all I can tell you is north JC is supposed to be the nicest area, larger older homes. The "Tree Streets" is a very unique area, again with older homes but they are smaller and right near downtown. It's kind of a Love it or Hate it area to me. Not for me but I can see the attraction. Seems to have more lower income people and a lot of college group houses. But that also means lots of character so that's appealing. The area we are looking are off of Cherokee Street. But we are downsizing to a modest 1,500 foot rambler type of home and that area is full of them, close to the mountains and also downtown. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:09 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,595,856 times
I could take an hour or more to wax on about JC and what it has to offer, but I don't want to, and this link does it better than I could have anyway. I recently came across this link which a local employer uses to recruit physicians to the area. It offers a very nice overview of communities in your price range.

Real Estate Market – Elegant Subdivisons, Historic Homes & Lots of Land

Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM

7,500 posts, read 17,105,101 times
That link is cool. There's a couple listings in New Halifax, a new urban-style development right outside Jonesborough. I forgot about it until now... it's a pretty cool area and walkable into downtown Jonesborough, which is pretty cool.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:47 AM

Is New Halifax the neighborhood just out of downtown on the way back to JC on the right? It had very interesting homes. Not for us, too close together, but very nice.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 20,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Is New Halifax the neighborhood just out of downtown on the way back to JC on the right? It had very interesting homes. Not for us, too close together, but very nice.

It is; it is immediately across the street from the new Senior Center (almost finished).

Old 12-05-2015, 12:43 PM

Yep, that's the neighborhood. Looked like a ski resort neighborhood in Aspen or something.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 13,928 times
Default JC area

Thanks rccrain - really good link to get started with. Just came back to this thread recently and glad I found it!! Really appreciate the actual subdivision references, they are very good to use for comparison going forward. Will visit the area for the first time this fall and looking forward to it. Thx again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol