Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hmmm, let's see, people move here, then whine about not having a grocery store like one at the place they left. Why did they leave the place where they were from?

Then you talk about blowing competition out of the water? Locally-based corporations like Food City (Abingdon) and Earth Fare and Ingles (Asheville)?

Sorry, but that's bull****. And you people wonder why we don't like "foreigners"?

Sorry, I'm normally very optimistic here, but Jesus.
I thought the exact same thing as reading all the previous posts about Wegman's. I mean, it's one thing to miss things from back "home", but to wish that the stores you left behind would come to your new town and put them out of business is downright nasty. Newcomers say things like that here in Charleston too....we have a nice variety of grocery stores (many locally owned and most of whom buy only locally grown produce) and if I hear the word WEGMAN'S one more time from a Northerner, I'm going to let loose. I've quietly smiled and nodded until lately...but it's getting pretty darned old. (well, there are a few other stores we get to hear about too, but can't think of the names...guess I'm just a "backwards Southerner" who doesn't know what a "good" store is.....

Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 AM

243 posts, read 692,516 times
Jersey, I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that everyone you have met is "god centered."

I never ran into this when I attended ETSU. In fact, everyone I did talk to was quite the opposite. . . .more along the agnostic point of view.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
:shrug: Some people just want to see things a certain way, blindsolitude, and no matter what the reality is, that's how they see it.

Of course it could be that Jersey moved to Piney Flats, Gray or Colonial Heights. Then complaining about stuff like t hat would be a big 'duh'.

(Atheists & Agnostics FTW!! )

Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Sorry it has not worked out for you - it is very unfortunate. How rude of them not to show after being invited. Invite the folks here on the boards and we will come over. Perhaps you are just in a "snobby" neighborhood? Some people in the area can be standoffish, but its sporadic. We have lived in the neighborhood we live in now since 1995. We also lived here in the neighborhood from 1985-1988 and my grandparents moved here in the neighborhood since 1982. We know most everyone, but we do not normally associate with them. We are at the end of the road and pretty much keep to ourselves. Its diverse (not racially), but there are residents of many different ages and interests, then there are some really fine homes, then some not so nice and run down. We are not unfriendly people, but most of them are not our cup of tea so to speak.

We are fine with that, we like our privacy, but if you like to mix and mingle, maybe a different and more friendly neighborhood is in order. There are some "upscale" subdivisions here in Bristol where some people are "standoffish" and/or downright snobs to put it mildly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytenn60 View Post
Yes, you are right and the concern is everyones. I didn't make one friend since moving here 3 1/2 years ago and I came from an area where one wasn't concerned where your devotion to God was done, nor if you were born and raised in the same town. That is the problem we are faced with here. Its a closed community we have found. The area is a beautiful one, we love our home, but we are very lonely and we have lots of neighbors in the subdivision we are in. In fact we have had several outdoor parties and have invited many who said yes and never came. So enough, enjoy your life and I hope to move on to one I can also enjoy.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 02-02-2009 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 06:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Um, supermarkets......

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM

150 posts, read 426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
OOOPs I meant Food Lion
I was gonna say, what . . . ?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
Publix has an amazing deli and bakery. Not only that but their employees are awesome and their generic brands are some of the best I've had. I love the Publix where I live (as well as kroger) and back in chattanooga.

I was never really impressed with Food City. Maybe I've never been to a good one (the only one i've really been to is next to taco bell and hardees close to ETSU)? Food city always reminded me of Bi-Los. . .and that is not a good thing. The Kroger close to campus was always good when I went there. Earth Fare seems interesting.
I am going to have to agree with the AppalachianAngler. That Food City on Market and State of Franklin does need a touch of renovation. But there is a nicer one in Johnson City where I would usually go. It's on South Roan, just outside of town. Just about the cheapest gas in town, too.

You know, it's funny, you mention Bi-Lo. I had never heard of Bi-Lo until I went to Australia in 2001 (Right before 9/11), they got 'em down there. I didn't know we had them in this country until you said so. I've never seen one in the USA. I had never heard of IGA until I went to Australia, there it's Independant Grocer's of Australia. Then I started to notice them in Miami where it's Independant Grocers of America. I had never heard of a Aldi until I went to Australia, then I saw one in Memphis and then one in Brockton, Massachusetts (or quincy or plymouth or somewhere in there, I don't remember.) (Now, I'm really on a roll!!) I had never heard of LG electronics until I went to Australia, I've had two LG cell phones since I've been back. Something wierd happening here.

Sorry to Jack your thread there brother, but I think it is probably nearing the end of it's useful life anyway.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
They just recently built a new HUGE Food City off Eastman Rd and Ft. Henry. I LOVE their olive bar there.
Yes, that Food City, as well as one in Grundy and Gatlinburg are the the three largest Food City stores out there with the "upper level" dining/conference rooms.

Rumor has it there will be one in Bristol that will soon be one of the largest Food City in the metro area.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

243 posts, read 692,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
You know, it's funny, you mention Bi-Lo. I had never heard of Bi-Lo until I went to Australia in 2001 (Right before 9/11), they got 'em down there. I didn't know we had them in this country until you said so. I've never seen one in the USA.
We have them in Chattanooga. They used to be called Red Food, but changed to Bi-Lo back in the late 80s/early 90s. You also can find them in the Carolinas and smaller cities in Georgia (probably more north georgia). I will say that they built a new super Bi-Lo near my parents' place and it is MUCH nicer than their other ones in Chattanooga. That's what happens when there isn't any competition. . . Chattanooga only had Bi-Lo and Walmart for their groceries (with the exception of one Food Lion, a fresh market, and green life (expensive)). They didn't feel the need to do anything for the customer - Dirty stores, unwilling to help, etc. Once Publix came in, Bi-Lo started renovating their stores.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsolitude View Post
We have them in Chattanooga. They used to be called Red Food, but changed to Bi-Lo back in the late 80s/early 90s. You also can find them in the Carolinas and smaller cities in Georgia (probably more north georgia). I will say that they built a new super Bi-Lo near my parents' place and it is MUCH nicer than their other ones in Chattanooga. That's what happens when there isn't any competition. . . Chattanooga only had Bi-Lo and Walmart for their groceries (with the exception of one Food Lion, a fresh market, and green life (expensive)). They didn't feel the need to do anything for the customer - Dirty stores, unwilling to help, etc. Once Publix came in, Bi-Lo started renovating their stores.
Publix is alright, I like the Kroger in Johnson City better. Publix is usually pretty dependable. I would like to see a Wegman's like the OP was talking about, though. That sounds nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol