Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM

96 posts, read 563,140 times

Advertisements

I am seeking to retire to N/E Tn and , as such, jobs or schools are not of importance to me but good health care + good low maintenance housing is important to me.

Are there any good condominums/ gated communities/ townhouses or new housing to accomodate retirees in the Johnson City area ?

Are there good health care services/hospitals in the Johnson City area ?

Are there better towns/ areas in N/E Tn with new housing, condominiums or gated communities that are better suited to retirees ?

Are there better towns/areas in N/E Tn with better health care/hospitals than Johnson City ?

Thanks, DK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:55 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,824 times
A good place to start getting good answers to your questions is to do a 'Search' near the top of the page. I just plugged in 'Tri-Cities retirement' and 'Retire to Northeast Tennessee' and found loads of threads with answers to many of your questions! I especially liked one thread that showed the TRI as one of the top places to retire in the country!
I have been constantly amazed since I found this site a year or so ago just how many folks are heading this way after retirement! It *is* a fine choice with many good hospitals, excellent housing opportunities - of all stripes - from rural farmland to historic to well-executed gated communities. The mountains and lakes offer outstanding recreational opportunities (and superior beauty) and there's plenty of culture here (and in the surrounding areas) to satisfy the average person who'd like to occasionally hear a symphony or visit an art gallery.
I'm sure you'll also hear from other folks who've happily made the transition!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM

50 posts, read 139,860 times
In recent years we've had a huge amount of retirees relocate to this area. Dependant on where your moving here from gated communities are not as plentiful as other areas. There have been a few of the newer condo developments in the area that have been gated.

The availablility of quality health care is one of the attractions for the Tri-Cities in general.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
hm, I must've missed this post somehow. I think the biggest question is how much are you willing to pay for housing? Rental or own?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 PM

78 posts, read 180,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Cities Native View Post
The availablility of quality health care is one of the attractions for the Tri-Cities in general.
Don't want to whip a dog to death, but the consensus is that most doctors are not accepting, or are very selective, in taking on Medicare or any new patients.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
That is hardly the consensus. While doctors might balk at medicare, they absolutely accept new patients with insurance. JC is like a health care Mecca for the region.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
I believe the issue is that in Kingsport there are many Dr's that are just full and have a tough time getting to the patients they have. In JC, it is easier to get in with a Dr. as a new patient.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
The doctors not wanting to accept Medicare problem is only going to get worse unless Medicare changes its' course of action. This is a nationwide problem folks, not indicative of this region alone. With Medicare's rates, and proposed rates, it just doesn't pay some doctors to see you. We can argue the points of that all you want but we will have to do that on another forum.

I think JC healthcare and access is as good, if not better, than most areas in the country of same sized cities.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
That is hardly the consensus. While doctors might balk at medicare, they absolutely accept new patients with insurance. JC is like a health care Mecca for the region.
Anyone over the age of 65 has Medicare.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
The doctors not wanting to accept Medicare problem is only going to get worse unless Medicare changes its' course of action. This is a nationwide problem folks, not indicative of this region alone. With Medicare's rates, and proposed rates, it just doesn't pay some doctors to see you. We can argue the points of that all you want but we will have to do that on another forum.

I think JC healthcare and access is as good, if not better, than most areas in the country of same sized cities.
For the Retirees, once you turn 65 you must have Medicare and it becomes your Primary. I have Medicare and BCBST as secondary. Also it might be added that Doctors are very loathe, in the Tri Area, of accepting those patients with pre existing health problems. It seems like they just want those with no problems.

It doesn't come down to quality of care if you cannot obtain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol