U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Default From Buffalo NY. to Johnson City TN.

Hi Gang, Bob here, Was wondering if my family and I would fit in living in the Johnson City area? I'm a 45yo who met my wife in S. Korea and we have a 22yo daughter who is an LPN. We currently live in a home I built in a nice suburb of Buffalo (Hamburg) High Tax, weather and other such crap make me remember how much I liked the South when in the Air Force. My wife dos'nt like it real hot so I'm looking for a mid temp place (between the North & South) Somewhere with LOW CRIME ,shopping and a fun nite life(large enough not to be boaring ) for my daughter yet you can still go home to a calm neigborhood ,I do worry about the sex offender data and if my wife who is now a citizen would be a problem? Everything else I read about the area seems nice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 PM

12,470 posts, read 17,719,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmiia View Post
Hi Gang, Bob here, Was wondering if my family and I would fit in living in the Johnson City area? I'm a 45yo who met my wife in S. Korea and we have a 22yo daughter who is an LPN. We currently live in a home I built in a nice suburb of Buffalo (Hamburg) High Tax, weather and other such crap make me remember how much I liked the South when in the Air Force. My wife dos'nt like it real hot so I'm looking for a mid temp place (between the North & South) Somewhere with LOW CRIME ,shopping and a fun nite life(large enough not to be boaring ) for my daughter yet you can still go home to a calm neigborhood ,I do worry about the sex offender data and if my wife who is now a citizen would be a problem? Everything else I read about the area seems nice. Thanks
You will all be welcome here. You will love the temps compared to Buffalo and choose a good neighborhood to move into and stay out of questionable situations and you will be fine with the sex offenders. Your daughter will be able to find a job easily. Make sure that you have jobs lined up before you come. There is plenty of shopping and low crime (imo) and enough to do at night. Come for a visit!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM

50 posts, read 88,472 times
Ditto to what SmokyMtnGal said!

Decades ago many people around here were not real keen on "outsiders" moving into the area (I'd say it still applies in some of the more remote areas but they're more the exception than the norm). In more recent years we've had so many folks from all over the country move into the area. In many ways it has become one of the "melting pots" of the Southeast. I wouldn't think you guys would have any trouble fitting right in.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

1,508 posts, read 3,402,014 times
I agree w/ SmokyMtnGal, I think y'all would enjoy it here very much provided you can find decent jobs.

FWIW, my girlfriend is from Busan and she's fit in here just fine, though she's still not keen on our winters. Of course, after Buffalo you guys will laugh at our comparatively balmy lows that rarely dip into the single digits. Depending on what appeals to you, you'll likely find a nightspot or two in JC that you'll enjoy. And random crime is generally not a major concern for most folks who live in NE Tennessee.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,919,288 times
I was laughing at anyone from the Buffalo area wondering about crime in east TN. It's just really not here if you're smart, and since you're used to an urban environment, at least part of the time (never been to Hamburg, spent some time in Amherst and in Buffalo proper), you'll have no problems being smart about being safe.

Winters are easier than what you're used to; our lows never dip below ten or so with the lows usually resting in the upper teens and lower twenties. Highs on the coldest of winter days are in the thirties, sometimes forties. Summer it gets up to the lower 90s, with a few days of upper 90s and 100s, lows are usually in the lower 70s.

I really hate that media, etc. has portrayed (modern) Appalachia as "backwards" or "questioning" when it comes to ethnicity and race. There are VERY few people here who would even give your wife a second glance. Those few people are found all over the world, as I'm sure there are bigots in Buffalo and Beijing, as well.

And, as SMG said, as long as you move into a decent city or (larger cities) decent neighborhood, your family will have no problems with crime of any kind, including sex offenders/rape.

I'm going to be honest with you here, there is some night life in Johnson City. A LARGE majority of it is clubs geared at 18-24 year olds, which we have a lot of due to the university here. There are other things to do, classy restaurants, a dancing venue (Russo Orlean's), there are various symphonies and chamber orchestras about, etc. Asheville is about an hour's drive away and also offers some good night life. If you're into anything more than just a "casual" night out, you might want to look towards larger cities.

Shopping is decent here, we have Target, a mall with the usual (Belk, JCPenney, Sears, the usual teen clothing stores), TXMaxx, Old Navy, Best Buy, Ross, Dress Barn etc. There is rumour that a Dillard's might go into the mall where another anchor tenant just pulled out (Goody's, southern chain) but that's just a rumour.

Again, if you're into more than "casual" shopping, like a Macy's, you might want to look towards larger cities.

And the MOST important thing is what SMG said: have jobs lined up before you come. The job market here is extremely tight, like in most of the nation, and the Tri-Cities metro is generally lacking in professional jobs anyway. Your daughter shouldn't have too much trouble as healthcare is a staple in Kingsport and Johnson City. I'm not sure if you're retired from the military, but... again... have jobs here before you come. Or at least enough cash to live on for 2-3 years while supporting yourselves with retail work.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 AM

37 posts, read 74,556 times
Talking Greetings from Silver Creek, New York

I live approximately 25 miles southwest of Hamburg on Lake Erie, and I work in Derby. For the past 6 years, I have been researching different areas for my future retirement. Because I will be relocating alone, there are certain criteria which are givens for me and, well...Northeast Tennessee has captured my heart.

I have been sitting here trying to compare Buffalo/ Hamburg with where I want to be, the Elizabethton area, and frankly, I just can't. Buffalo is an armpit and driving around Hamburg is like being in a Nacscar Race...to me, anyway.

You know, you get back what you give. My first visit was Oct. '08 with my grandaughter. We made eye contact, put a welcoming smile on our faces and shook hands with people. People could not have been nicer to us. She is currently going to college and working at Applebee's and when we had dinner at the E-ton Applebee's, she got her employee discount for us without us asking, the manager came over and chatted for a bit and she is still in contact with one of the servers there.

It is a slower pace of living, definitely not for everyone. Please do not hesitate to DM me with any specific questions I might be able to help you with.

Jan

Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,919,039 times
I will chime in with my agreement of the others assessment of the area here. I am originally from CT. The weather will be wonderful for you in comparison, especially in the winter. However, you said your wife doesn't like it really hot. It does get HOT here in the late summer for several weeks and in some years has lasted over a month with temps in the 90's and the humidity can get nasty in the middle of the day. But it usually doesn't last long. You also want to think about allergies. Even though the topography isn't a whole lot different than Buffalo (a mix of rolling hills and mountains) we do have different trees and plants here that some transplants have had issues with as far as allergies go.
Your best bet is to plan a trip or two at different times of the year. Not trying to be a wet blanket here, just giving you as much info as we can.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Thanks Everyone ,The info given here is great!! As for myself, I loved the SouthWest ( San Antonio to Denver) And in Korea, all I could do was smile (this SMILEING THING GOT ME MARRIED) LOL (thanks Rocinante56 ) I"m trying to avoid the "Why did I let you talk me into this thing by getting as much info as possible, I'll probably be taking a 2 week vacation in Apirl to the area, Start getting info from the local building inspector about permits, I'm dreaming of a timber frame home with the loft!/ Has anyone heard of Hearthstone timber and log homes from Dandrigde Tenn.??

Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,930,498 times
I am from Kingsport originally (about 20 or so miles from Johnson City) and grew up in the area. I now live in CT.
What others have said is excellent advice. My sister works as a nurse at the VA Hospital in Johnson City and loves it. Nursing/healthcare jobs are quite plentiful in the area, for the most part.
Buffalo's winters are nightmarish (LOL) compared to Johnson City's. Johnson City may receive 3 to 5 snowfalls a year, and we are talking 3 or 4 inches AT MOST, usually. You'll think you died and went to heaven there. Summers are nice and long...not too humid, but there can be super humid days at times.
The scenery is just stunning and one of the most beautiful parts of the country geographically. You'll love that part.
JC also has ETSU, making it more "cultured" than some of the tri-cities. (no offense to anyone living in the other cities)
As for Dandridge, my dad has looked into retiring there...apparently it's become a little retirement hotspot. Don't know about that particular company, but know retirement in that area is popular, or becoming so.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM

37 posts, read 74,556 times
Just a bit of a "heads-up" for you.......April is the spring kick-off for trophy trout fishing and many of the groups have standing reservations from year to year. We had originally wanted to book for Easter week and this is why we had to change to May. Every cabin, every day was taken.

It is my understanding that they come from all over the United States to fish in Tennessee's beautiful rivers and lakes. We thoroughly enjoyed watching the fly fishermen from our back porch last year.

Of course, we stay at a specific cabin on the Watauga and opted to change our time-frame rather than location. Perhaps the influx of fishermen does not impact the actual Tri-Cities. (?)

Best of luck to you and your family.......and it is good to hear that you have that "smiling thing" down pat!!

Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol