Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 22,544 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to Jonesborough. Since we are from Nebraska, it is quite hard to tell if this would be a fit for us. I know it is a smaller town and it is close to JC. Is this area mostly hills and lush or is it very mountainous? We would like to find a home 3-4 bed rooms,with a small amount of land maybe 1-3 acres. Are there homes like this avalable there? Is there a newspaper link that I could look at for jobs/houses in the area? my Hubby works in Construction, CDL A driving, Foreman type work. Is this kind of work is short supply around Jonesborough? any infor would be helpfull. I am a stay at home mom of four kids ages9- 9 months. We would love to make a change in living before the kids get to much older, for school and friends. Also, Is outdoor sports a big deal in this area since it is so nice for so long? Like Soccer, or softball? What about wrestling? It is a big deal at school where we are from. I would like to hear what you who live there have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
I lived outside of Greeneville on the Jonesborough-ish side for 18 years, and now I live in south JC about ten minutes outside of J'borough's city limits.

The actual city itself is basically western Johnson City at this point, as sprawl/retail has connected the two cities. This is continuing as a Walmart has went up in western JC and a Lowe's is slated to open soon on the eastern edge of Jonesborough. It is still very easy to find houses with breathing room, though; it's very open country in western Washington County. And if you find something outside the city limits (of J'borough) then you can avoid some extra taxation.

Your hubby might find work in Jonesborough, but it's more likely that any company like that would be based out of Johnson City. I would check johnsoncitypress.com, bettertcjobs.com, craigslist.com and timesnews.net (Kingsport's paper, it has a better classifieds database) for work. I know that when I was job hunting (a year ago) there were ads for drivers. Construction has slowed down a lot, of course, in the current economy.

Sports are a big deal here, school-wise. Afterward graduation there might be some offerings, but not a whole lot. Wrestling isn't all that big here, but the school I went to (in Greene Co.) had a good program and I would assume the Washingon Co. / Johnson City schools would as well (you could always call and ask).

I only stress: please, please have a job lined up before you move. And make sure your family can support itself on Tri-Cities wages. Some people have found that they tend to be lower than other regions'. Since you're from Nebraska, you might not find that to be the case, though.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Default Yep

I second what jabogitlu said. Be sure to have a job lined up first. There are some trucking hubs here in the N.E.TN region such as Land-Air, Old Dominion and some others I can't recall the names of right now.
If you want 1 to 3 acers, I would say go just outside the Jonesborough or Johnson City limits to places such as Telford, Chucky, Limestone, Gray, Sulfer Springs. All the schools are pretty good.
None of that area, except maybe very south Jonesborough or Limestone areas are what you would call mountainous, more like rolling hills.
Here are some pictures from around that area. Hope it helps!

Here is Jonesborough Main St/downtown.

Scenes around the Jonesborough out skirts, Telford, S.W JC, Chucky etc.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 22,544 times
Thank you very much for the input! I love the pictures! So beautiful! From what I have read Jborough is a small ish sized town, it never tells you about the urban sprall that you all can tell my about from actually living there! We live in a small town and have to drive for work in a larger city to work. What kind of wages are offered there average? It is about 9-1050 to start at most places for males to work in Nebraska. Is the average income about 30 37 thousand a year in this area? This is what I have read, but that was in 2000. Is this about what it is currently? We haven t really had the Hard job impact here yet. Are you feeling it there? If so what kind of jobs are laying off? These are the kind of things you cant google! Ha! Thanks again!

Thanks for the newspaper links! I will check them out!

Last edited by Wantingtogosouth; 03-16-2009 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Mainly industry line worker jobs are laying off, but I heard a woman today who works at Welmont as a nurse tell someone else that there have been some lay offs in the medical industry, but again, that was just over heard, not substantiated.
Totally depends on the industry but I think 30kish a year in CDL is not unheard of but I would count more on the 25kish range here to be safe, then again, that is IF he could get a job. There really aren't many around right now in about any fields.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

50 posts, read 139,905 times
Wanting,

Here's some links that might help you in your research:

Jonesborough website: Town of Jonesborough
Moderator cut: please the city-data main page for this
Athletics calendar for JC:
http://www.schoolmatters.com/ (broken link)
Athletic calendar for JC: http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/uploads/Documents/Parks%20and%20Recreation/Calendars/2009/Athletics%20Calendar%20Jan%2009.pdf (broken link)

Hope this helps and good luck to you guys!

Last edited by mbmouse; 03-16-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingtogosouth View Post
is this area mostly hills and lush or is it very mountainous?

mostly small hills, medium hills, and big hills.

we would like to find a home 3-4 bed rooms,with a small amount of land maybe 1-3 acres. Are there homes like this avalable there?

yes. I'm thinking 3 beds 2 acres $200,000.

my hubby works in construction, cdl a driving, foreman type work. Is this kind of work is short supply around jonesborough?

i think it is available but very competitive right now. Expect $25 to $40k - depending on the job and responsibilities. There is also a pretty big radius to look for work and still live where you want to (bristol to greeneville).

also, is outdoor sports a big deal in this area since it is so nice for so long? Like soccer, or softball? soccer is prevalent but not high profile. Softball is a pretty big deal. But basketball and football are king.

what about wrestling? you'll have to check with each school because i never hear anything about it.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM

243 posts, read 692,516 times
I love those pictures, MB!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM

46 posts, read 152,563 times
Thanks for the pictures of jonesborough. We are thinking of moving to tennesse and looking for a town about the size of jonesborough or dunlap. The research I have been doing on city data.com helps by sorting and comparing crime rates, median income, population, etc. I wish someone had photos of the area around Dunlap TN!!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drskinneymoon View Post
Thanks for the pictures of jonesborough. We are thinking of moving to tennesse and looking for a town about the size of jonesborough or dunlap. The research I have been doing on city data.com helps by sorting and comparing crime rates, median income, population, etc. I wish someone had photos of the area around Dunlap TN!!!!
Welcome the the forum. There are some beautiful pictures of Dunlap on the city-data.com page about Dunlap. http://www.city-data.com/city/Dunlap-Tennessee.html

Just as an FYI..... you will get more responses about Dunlap in our Chattanooga forum than Tri Cities. It is close to Chattanooga where Jonesborough is appropriate in the Tri Cities forum. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol