U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:16 PM

40 posts, read 54,256 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 sons (ages 6 and 3) and myself are also planning to move to the Johnson City area - from New Hampshire. We just visited and loved the area. I have friends there who are J.C. natives and they suggested the area. It reminds us of here somewhat, but without the mega-cold temps and snow. We are also looking to be out in the country more. We currently drive 9-10 miles to the supermarket. It's 30 minutes to the nearest mall. We're used to traveling a little bit to get what we need. Privacy and peace is more important to us than convenience. We love nature! Schools are important too. I will be running my business from our home. (My husband will eventually join me.) I already checked with the state/county and it looks like it'll work. Moderator cut: deleted
Anyway, nice to "meet" you all! We're excited and look forward to being a part of your community! We are very friendly, honest people and I'm hoping we'll fit in.

Good luck to the others in this thread! Maybe someday we'll cross paths!

Last edited by Beretta; 03-22-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: no advertising please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:21 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,334,336 times
Quote:
Anyway, nice to "meet" you all! We're excited and look forward to being a part of your community! We are very friendly, honest people and I'm hoping we'll fit in.
Make sure to keep us updated with your move. It's very exciting to have people moving in here!!! I'm sure that as long as you're friendly and eager to live here that you'll have no problems transplanting successfully - it's all in the mindset!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
We have Johnson City power and rates have gone up HORRIBLY. Like 100.00 more than what we were paying this time last year.
Same here.

Quote:
My husband works in Johnson City and it's a 15 minute drive depending on traffic on the interstate. Personally, Johnson City feels too big and congested for me to consider living there but, to each his/her own.
Weird. I lived for years way out in the country and while I like that, and could still do it, living in Johnson City feels "just right" to me. Not the traffic or infrastructure of a big city, but always something going on.

This weekend with the races there's a lot of extra people in Johnson City, too. Many of them found their way into Target and gee were they a rude lot!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM

166 posts, read 331,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
This weekend with the races there's a lot of extra people in Johnson City, too. Many of them found their way into Target and gee were they a rude lot!
I live right off of Bristol Highway. Went to get dinner tonight around 8:30 and it took me 5 minutes of waiting to get onto it and 5 minutes to turn back onto my road

I braved the traffic and drove through Bristol yesterday night to drop something off to a couple that lives there. What was with all the smoke? Burned our eyes in the car it was so bad.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM

No idea unless they burned rubber or something... wouldn't produce that much smoke???

Yeah I wouldn't get on the Bristol Highway if you paid me. Thank goodness I no longer work in Bristol.

I just am curious if they got all the road construction wrapped up at the track before the race.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 PM

149 posts, read 267,837 times
I'm glad the race is over. I have never seen so many drunk, rude, unbearably offensive redneck morons.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,352,159 times
Smoke might have been the fireworks they set off after the race???

Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,768,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey. View Post
I live right off of Bristol Highway. Went to get dinner tonight around 8:30 and it took me 5 minutes of waiting to get onto it and 5 minutes to turn back onto my road

I braved the traffic and drove through Bristol yesterday night to drop something off to a couple that lives there. What was with all the smoke? Burned our eyes in the car it was so bad.
Bristol Hwy is HWY 11?
My first year here and I was expecting horrible traffic, but I really didn't run into a lot of extra traffic on HWY 11, other than on Thursday afternoon. Is the traffic just at certain times? Certain areas? Is most of the traffic between JC and Bristol? Not making that daily commute to JC anymore, so maybe I'm missing the worst of it? Saturday afternoon I was one of the few cars on the highway. I was a little suprised, but maybe everyone was still at the track...

About utilities, I was disconcerted to discover that water and sewer were not a part of the electric company bill here. I was used to all that being on one bill. So when people were talking about their bills it sounded cheap to me. The reality is a bit different. Funny how we assume things sometimes, it never occurrd to me that when people were talking about their electric bills they really did mean only electric.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'm glad the race is over. I have never seen so many drunk, rude, unbearably offensive redneck morons.
I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. It does seem that many of the people coming in for the races are very rude, at least in my retail experience. Of course it might be the old "I'm away from home, so I can act however I want to," phenomenon.

Of course, I'm sure that many of the people who visited our area were very charming, as well.

DubbleT, yes, Bristol Highway is 11-E (not 11-W) and 19-W (or is it 19-E? one runs toward Elizabethton, the other continues on into JC and hops onto I-26 to Asheville).

I think I'm right on that. Someone will correct me if not. So many roads here have so many different numbers that I get confused. 11-E is Andrew Johnson Highway through Greeneville, Jackson Blvd aka Jonesborough Hwy, then Market Street, John Exum Pkwy and N Roan St. through Johnson City. I can't figure out HOW it jumps onto the Bristol Highway, which is why I think I might be wrong.

Oh well, anyway! LOL!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,352,159 times
Your right on the 11E jab! Except that on some maps during some portions of it from I believe Morristown to Greeneville it is also called hwy 32! LOL! I have never seen one road with SO many names hahahahhahaha.

Oh, and it is 19-E (even though it runs north and south ) that connects Bluff City to Elizabethton.

I went to a Bristol race once......greatest comedy show ever if you just sit in the stands and watch the crazy drunks stumble on by LOL!!. Don't think I will ever be going again though, was just way too many people. Being short, I don't like crowds, get claustrophobic in them and Bristol is a HUGE crowd and the majority have lost some faculties by the end of the race.

To be totaly honest, at the race, besides the few that create a good floor show, for the most part race fans are a pretty good group in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol