U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM

416 posts, read 710,371 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, i have some buddies coming up from Florida in a few weeks. We are wanting to camp and do some hiking at Grandfather Mountain. Are there any good camp grounds or state or local parks in the area? The only one i know of is Roan Mountain state park, and i have never been there, just moved to Knoxville 4 months ago. How far is that park to Grandfather? Are there any other camping areas? We will be camping in tents, just would like water at the site, and a bath house.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM

1,536 posts, read 3,522,370 times
From Roan Mountain State Park's campground to Grandfather Mountain is about 21 miles (35+ minutes). It's not a bad drive as the highway through Elk Park isn't very curvy.

But I'd also look at the campground in Julian Price Memorial Park (http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/NaturalHeritage/NationalParks/BlueRidgeParkway/julianpricememorialpark.html - broken link) near Blowing Rock. It has 129 tent sites and is just 14 miles (20 min.) from Grandfather Mountain. About the same distance south of G. Mtn. is the Linville Falls campground, which has 50 tent sites and is on the Linville River.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM

20 posts, read 39,741 times
I would highly suggest Table Rock in Pisgah National Forest. The camp site is very near the parking lot (ideal for casual campers or people who like lots of amenities) and the area offers an amazing view of Linville Gorge-- I sight that personally I haven't found an equal for except the Grand Canyon.

heres a link with good info including some directions
Linville Gorge Wilderness - Pisgah National Forest

This location puts you close enough to visit Boone NC, Asheville, or Grandfather depending on what mood youre in. Also, keep in mind that Grandfather is privately owned (well, half of it is) and there is an access fee as well as required permits if you're taking the trails on the backside of the mountain.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
Default hiking/camping in Kingsport

Hi everyone,

Are there any nice, secluded hiking/camping spots in Kingsport? I've been looking online at the Greenbelt -- is camping overnight allowed there? I've also been looking into the Appalachian Trail -- are there any trailheads in the Kingsport area? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM

407 posts, read 613,661 times
Default Greenbelt

I don't think there is any camping allowed there.

Warriors Path State Park has camping, but not very secluded.

I know there are probablly some other nice ones, I am not a camping gal.

I did notice that Cherokee Lake Park in Morristown had a nice camping area.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM

4,224 posts, read 10,678,295 times
Bays Mountain. Beautiful place, huge! Scenic views, a lake, animals et cetera.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 PM

1,536 posts, read 3,522,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose82 View Post
Hi everyone,

Are there any nice, secluded hiking/camping spots in Kingsport? I've been looking online at the Greenbelt -- is camping overnight allowed there? I've also been looking into the Appalachian Trail -- are there any trailheads in the Kingsport area? Thanks!
Camping's not allowed along the Greenbelt. As JoshB mentioned, Bays Mountain Park is huge (3500+ acres) and there are 15-20 miles of backcountry trails that very few folks use. There's a primitive camping area in a remote section of the park with a small mountain stream beside it.

I believe the closest AT trailhead is just south of Erwin, which is about a 40-minute drive from Kingsport.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 48,301 times
To camp - Appalachian trail near Erwin , natural tunnel start park in VA is not too far from Kinsgport and they have campgrounds for a nominal charge .
As for day hikes Bays mountain park in KPT , Buffalo mountain park in Johnson city is very beautiful. Bristol has steele creek park and it is one of the biggest city parks in the state if not entire country. Then there are several smaller parks to walk and jog like winged deer park ( JC) , willow springs park ( JC) , warrior state park ( Kpt) has mountain biking trail if you are into that . enjoy

Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

30 posts, read 46,258 times
Question Car/Tent Camping

Hi all,

My family and I are planning to go car/tent camping at the end of the month but we don't know where to go! My dad and step mother are interested in checking out Wataga Lake but I've been looking online and I cant seem to find any information on sites in the area. Is there a good place to be in that area or should we look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Oh and, we're in Bristol and probably don't want to go further than 1 hour away.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,265,660 times
There's a good campground just past The Captain's Table on Watauga, but I just can't recall the name. Someone here surely knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol