Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,775 times

Advertisements

Just saw the evening news, 300 more layoffs announced on the news

There are to be 200 layoffs in Kingsport from Eastman

And 100 layoffs announced today for Greenville at Kennifin (spelling?)

Of course these are in addition to the 570 layoffs at Bristols Exide.

Now for some good news:

Lowes in Jonesborough is supposed to be hiring, though not at the pay scale that the above jobs were paying.

Who else is hiring that pays decent? I saw an ad for a list of jobs to be filled at the career center. Everyone laid off should get unemployment correct? I hope all get work that pays decent soon!! Or at the very least the layoffs are of a very temporary time period!!

Take care,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:42 PM

431 posts, read 1,219,140 times
Default I just hope everything settles down soon.

Mom was waiting by the phone today (LSE at Eastman). Her supervisor called and said they were in deliberations/meetings all day today and she would call if mom was NOT to report to work tomorrow. Said 5 people were already gone from the floor above mom.

I've been searching the job sites today online. It's so hard to find something when you are like me and have been a stay at home mom for the past 8 years ! Nobody wants to fool with me other than maybe a min wage retail job.

So...guess I will keep doing what I am doing now. Working for myself doing a "side" job to help my husband/income. Moderator cut: not allowed It's not much but it helps pay for groceries,etc.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Good news - Fannie Mae is bringing something like 800? jobs back into the US from Mexico. Not to east TN, but to Wilkes-Barre which is probably hurting around the same level as the TRI at the moment.

Not local good news, but.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Good news - Fannie Mae is bringing something like 800? jobs back into the US from Mexico. Not to east TN, but to Wilkes-Barre which is probably hurting around the same level as the TRI at the moment.

Fannie Mae, the mortgage govt owned, bailed out organization that helped bring down the US financial system through poorly thought out social engineering, that Fannie Mae or another. IF they are the ones I'm thinking, what possible jobs could they have shipped to Mexico that doesn't need to be done in English??

Sorry for the rant, but the current economic decline is supposed to be "solved" by giving our trillions to the very same people & organizations that caused the problem and it makes me see red. Real people are being hurt by all of these Wall street/banker games and it's not going to end well for us.

Tony

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
Unemployment is 90% for 9 months, I think.

NFS added about 100 jobs last year and has a bright outlook for this year.

I just don't think good news gets reported.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
--------" Unemployment is 90% for 9 months, I think------"

If so, TN has the most generous unemployment benefits in the nation.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM

Well, probably not then. Fortunately haven't had to deal with it. But I thought there was something about unemployment in the Stimulus. Anyone know?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM

243 posts, read 692,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post

I haven't heard about this. I did hear that Sallie Mae (the student loan company) was bringing a lot of jobs back to the US.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Ah, oops, lol. I did mean Sallie Mae. BRAIN FART!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Dang, I thought you meant fanniemay - makers of the best chocolate candies in the world. Now I'm hungry!

Fannie May Candies - Gourmet Chocolates, Candies and Gifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol