U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 13,238 times
Hello, You are going to love this area, we just purchased property in Piney Flats ( just outside JC ) we are both retiring form Law-Enforcement Jobs in Central Florida and searched this area out of 20 other prospects. Two Words describe this area " CLEAN LIVING " take your time searching for property, we purchased ours through Remax as well and they did us a great job. What type of work did you guys do?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:10 PM

20 posts, read 52,019 times
My boyfriend and I are very seriously looking into moving to the JC area when we are done with college. Of course, we're from Florida, haha. He's always wanted to move to Tennessee, and I've just recently started wanting to move close to the family farm on Buck Mountain. So, we'd be moving to the Roan Mountain area, and I'd HOPEFULLY be looking to work in Johnson City. I'm finishing a degree in Chemical Engineering, and he's going to school to be a pharmacist. Are there job opportunities for a chemical engineer in JC, or would I have to look more toward Kingsport? We've got probably 5 years before we'll both be done with school and have enough money saved up to move (after saving for a wedding), so obviously things will probably change. But, me with my engineer mind, I want to be as completely prepared/ researched as possible.

Both of us are past tired of all of the rude people here in Florida. I realize that there will be a culture shock, but it's one that we're both really looking forward to. We currently live in a town where the population is 4,089 people per square mile. No thank you! I also realize that both of us will probably take a cut in pay, but we're okay with that. I imagine that it won't be too hard for him to find a pharmacist job (though, it may just be because I'm coming from one of the most medicated places in the US) but chemical engineer jobs may be harder to come by. Anyway, this has gotten rather long-winded. Thanks for any help/information you can offer!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,906,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelKay View Post
My boyfriend and I are very seriously looking into moving to the JC area when we are done with college. Of course, we're from Florida, haha. He's always wanted to move to Tennessee, and I've just recently started wanting to move close to the family farm on Buck Mountain. So, we'd be moving to the Roan Mountain area, and I'd HOPEFULLY be looking to work in Johnson City. I'm finishing a degree in Chemical Engineering, and he's going to school to be a pharmacist. Are there job opportunities for a chemical engineer in JC, or would I have to look more toward Kingsport? We've got probably 5 years before we'll both be done with school and have enough money saved up to move (after saving for a wedding), so obviously things will probably change. But, me with my engineer mind, I want to be as completely prepared/ researched as possible.

Both of us are past tired of all of the rude people here in Florida. I realize that there will be a culture shock, but it's one that we're both really looking forward to. We currently live in a town where the population is 4,089 people per square mile. No thank you! I also realize that both of us will probably take a cut in pay, but we're okay with that. I imagine that it won't be too hard for him to find a pharmacist job (though, it may just be because I'm coming from one of the most medicated places in the US) but chemical engineer jobs may be harder to come by. Anyway, this has gotten rather long-winded. Thanks for any help/information you can offer!
Chemical Engineer.....Eastman will do you a song and dance, move you up here lock stock a barrel too!
Eastman - Eastman Chemical Company - Home Page
With all the pharmacies, hospitals and national chains like Walgreen's, I would say he should be able to find something as well.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM

20 posts, read 52,019 times
Hmm, well that certainly does sound promising! I'm just a bit worried about the commute, as I really do have my heart set on living on Buck Mountain. I don't imagine it would be a real problem though, especially if we both work in Kingsport and could carpool together.

As far as Eastman goes, from looking around at various threads I'm seeing that it seems to be a good place to work if you can, but why exactly is it so desirable?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 20,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelKay View Post
Hmm, well that certainly does sound promising! I'm just a bit worried about the commute, as I really do have my heart set on living on Buck Mountain. I don't imagine it would be a real problem though, especially if we both work in Kingsport and could carpool together.

As far as Eastman goes, from looking around at various threads I'm seeing that it seems to be a good place to work if you can, but why exactly is it so desirable?
Five years from now, who knows? Right now he will have a much easier job finding work as a pharmacist than you will a job as a chemical engineer. Eastman is desirable because for our area (I was born here, moved away and came back 30 years ago) it pays very well, has great benefits, working conditions are good, and currently it is stable. Eastman (or THE Eastman as it has been called) went through some tough times under the former CEO Ernie Davenport and had a RIF of probably 4 or 5 thousand in the '90s, but the current CEO Brian Ferguson has turned it around. They are predicting the need for about 2,000 employees to replace retirees probably starting in a couple of years. I've done a number of contracts for work with them and find them very fair and professional.

From my point of view you are talking a pretty serious daily commute if you want to live somewhere around Buck Mountain. It's about a 30 to 40 minute drive to Johnson City from there and you have at least another 20 to the Eastman compound on Wilcox. My guess is you are looking at a minimum of an hour 15 minutes 'round trip each day. It's probably about 45 to 50 miles one way, but I'm just guessing and you will either be on windy two lane or will go through Elizabethton to get to I 26 in Johnson City for the last 25 mile run to Eastman. But - pharmacists and chemical engineers make lots of money and if you DINKS you can afford the gas.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,855 times
I have lived here for most of my 39 years with a few spent in Texas - Dallas & Austin and a few in Nashville.
Cheap to live here if you can find a decent job. I know many hard working, college degreed people working in call centers/retail/restaurants. I know many others who left the area to find work. If you are in the medical field you'll easily find work. Otherwise get used to barely better than minumum wage jobs.
As far as culture, compared to other places I have lived and visited it is slim pickings. If you like sports, church, and cable TV you will love it here.
As far as allergies, I have suffered here more than any other place I have ever been. I live with yearround headaches, migraines and breathing problems.
And I encounter just as many rude and mean people as anywhere else I have ever been. Frankly, I recently spent a week in NYC and found people friendlier than here.
I was born and raised in Bristol. I was always harassed and considered a freak by other locals because I was not a conservative Christian Republican. I have had my home and car vandalised and was even egged while walking down the street by a pack of idiots in a pickup truck. I still after 39 years mostly spent in Bristol and now Johnson City, get looks comments, the works. I feel like I have to pretend to be someone I am not to get and hold jobs. People here (not all but the majority) are judgmental and rude to anyone who is different - i.e. not conservative christian whites - and as a white girl raised by the offspring of Southern Baptists and Methodists I know firsthand how a lot of people around here are.
Can't wait to move away. I thankfully now have a great job that will soon take me away. Sorry for the rant but some of these posts really made me annoyed as they rang so very untrue of the world I live in.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazonga View Post
I have lived here for most of my 39 years with a few spent in Texas - Dallas & Austin and a few in Nashville.
Cheap to live here if you can find a decent job. I know many hard working, college degreed people working in call centers/retail/restaurants. I know many others who left the area to find work. If you are in the medical field you'll easily find work. Otherwise get used to barely better than minumum wage jobs.
As far as culture, compared to other places I have lived and visited it is slim pickings. If you like sports, church, and cable TV you will love it here.
As far as allergies, I have suffered here more than any other place I have ever been. I live with yearround headaches, migraines and breathing problems.
And I encounter just as many rude and mean people as anywhere else I have ever been. Frankly, I recently spent a week in NYC and found people friendlier than here.
I was born and raised in Bristol. I was always harassed and considered a freak by other locals because I was not a conservative Christian Republican. I have had my home and car vandalised and was even egged while walking down the street by a pack of idiots in a pickup truck. I still after 39 years mostly spent in Bristol and now Johnson City, get looks comments, the works. I feel like I have to pretend to be someone I am not to get and hold jobs. People here (not all but the majority) are judgmental and rude to anyone who is different - i.e. not conservative christian whites - and as a white girl raised by the offspring of Southern Baptists and Methodists I know firsthand how a lot of people around here are.
Can't wait to move away. I thankfully now have a great job that will soon take me away. Sorry for the rant but some of these posts really made me annoyed as they rang so very untrue of the world I live in.
Profoundly incorrect/exaggerated ... except for the allergies. The University area of Johnson City could even be considered liberal - war protesters, etc.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 10,658 times
Default Hi, I have a question for M.B.

Hi mb, my name is mark and have enjoyed reading all the posts on this forum. Today I was browsing through pictures you posted back in 2007, of downtown Johnson City. I also am a wannabe transplant from N.W. florida, and love your area. Anyway, I noticed alot of railroad tracks in your pics and being a train buff it got me even more interested in the area. Tell me mb what company uses those tracks and how often and buisiest times of use. I would love a couple acres just outside of town with views of the railroad, maybe even cutting across my property.....love trains and the noise. any pics of areas like that you might get a chance to take would make my day. Thanks in advance. Mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol