Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:26 PM

166 posts, read 511,156 times

Advertisements

Most of the parks are really great. I walk my dog at Winged Deer park most every morning, sometimes twice a day, they have some nice trails - but if you like hiking, check out Buffalo Mountain. Bay's Mountain is kind of a let down as far as the animals.

Here are a list of parks in JC: City of Johnson City, TN - Parks and Recreation - Parks & Facilities (http://www.johnsoncitytn.org/index.php?page=parks-facilities - broken link)

I'm trying to think of something special to the Tri-Cities for restaurants, but I don't usually go outside of JC to eat. Something like Cootie Brown's or Red Pig? Somebody else should have some good restaurant suggestions.

As far as traffic, before I was working at home - I was working in one of the main shopping centers in JC. My lunch break was around 1 or 2 every day, and I refused to go out - the traffic was insane. If you do come up here, please be careful driving. We have some "special" drivers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 48,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey. View Post
As far as traffic, before I was working at home - I was working in one of the main shopping centers in JC. My lunch break was around 1 or 2 every day, and I refused to go out - the traffic was insane. If you do come up here, please be careful driving. We have some "special" drivers out there.
Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't believe what I saw drivers down here in Florida doing when I first came to this state. I've honed in my defensive driving skills since moving here, hopefully I'll be prepared enough! Since I work from home luckily I can avoid the whole traffic issue during it's peak.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
haha, I guess it's all relative. I don't think the traffic is bad at all but yes there are some "special" drivers out there who haven't the foggiest notion about what they're doing on the road. If you're used to FLA drivers you'll have no trouble here.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,051 times
+I hear the area is heavily religious, mostly Baptist- how tolerant is the area as a whole? If they knew I was gay, what would the average reaction be? Is Johnson City more tolerant than the rest, or are they all about the same? JC would likely be your best bet.

+How's traffic? Better than most all places, but still tough enough to complain about.

+I understand Tennessee is a very tax-friendly state. How do Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport (or other town in the area- I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can give!) stack up tax-wise? Property Tax is lower in JC/Washington County. Sales Tax is pretty much 10%.

+Internet service. This is very important to me as my sole source of income is remote technical support (which blesses me with the ability to move wherever I want, as long as I can get broadband and a landline). Bristol, TN has a fiber network but the uplink speed is a joke and a half (256k is NOT broadband.) The local providers I see for the area are Charter Cable and Embarq Phone (whom I have here in Fla). Since service differs from region to region, how well do the two providers treat their customers in the area?

I get high speed internet and basic cable through Charter for $45. No problems. I would absolutely be crushed if Comcast or someone else were to buy out Charter.

+Are there a lot of trees / random patches of forest? I really miss that aspect of Wisconsin, as California and Florida are severely lacking in thick foliage.

Yes, with a short trip out of the cities. JC is not to far from the Cherokee National Forest. Kpt and Bristol have some excellent parks.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 AM

284 posts, read 759,216 times
Well, it appears I'm getting ready to move back myself - family lives there, and the recession has killed my self-employed position. However, hearing all of the job market talk is making me think twice. Maybe living with family will off-set the difficult job search.

Peerless is a regional steakhouse, very well known. And I always hit Pardners for barbecue. However, I'll let the full-time locals answer that one - I usually just visit briefly. I was sorry to see Carter on Main close in Elizabethtown, as well as Dogwood Lane in Jonesborough. I usually hit Asheville, NC, for the more interesting eating spots - an hour away.

I've found the grocery prices much higher in JC, than what I am accustomed to.

Traffic on North Roan in JC is TERRIBLE, around the mall, but other than that, nothing else I've noticed. Of course, I'm usually there at Christmas time.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 AM

What kind of restaurants do you like? The following are my "locally owned and operated" suggestions:

Upscale - Peerless or Russos

Eclectic - Cootie Browns

Quintessential East TN - Ridgewood BBQ (15 minutes outside JC). This little place in the middle of nowhere is nationally famous. Order 1 BBQ pork sandwich w/ slaw on the side, homefries, and baked beans. I have no idea why there are other items on the menu.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,606 times
East Tn is the recipient of lots of folks who failed in FL-

now the same folks are turning up in SC, NC and northern GA as well

Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
For tapas and wine, Cafe Lola.

>>"Traffic on North Roan in JC is TERRIBLE, around the mall, but other than that, nothing else I've noticed. Of course, I'm usually there at Christmas time."

Yep, the traffic is bad here around the holiday. Johnson City is the shopping destination for maybe people, Greeneville, Western North Carolina, SWVA, Kentucky, other ETN towns like Hancock. And I swear even people from Kpt and Bristol come here.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Yeah, the Mall is a "No Go Zone" for locals from Black Friday to Jan 1. There always seems to be more Non-Washington County tags than local tags in the parking lots.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM

24 posts, read 48,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeshobaTN View Post
East Tn is the recipient of lots of folks who failed in FL-

now the same folks are turning up in SC, NC and northern GA as well
I'm extremely lucky to be employed in a 100% telecommuting position. The company is based out of Mass. but they have employees everywhere that get paid the same rate. I'd be making "more money" in East TN (lower cost of living) and I'd be around trees and hills- which I love. So I'm not a classic Floridian failure, per se

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
What kind of restaurants do you like? The following are my "locally owned and operated" suggestions:

Upscale - Peerless or Russos

Eclectic - Cootie Browns

Quintessential East TN - Ridgewood BBQ (15 minutes outside JC). This little place in the middle of nowhere is nationally famous. Order 1 BBQ pork sandwich w/ slaw on the side, homefries, and baked beans. I have no idea why there are other items on the menu.
Thanks for the recommendations! BBQ sounds good... I'm hungry now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol