Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 AM

243 posts, read 692,614 times

Advertisements

Mark, I don't think I understand your response. Who was being "cold?" No one on here, that I saw, suggested that anything was wrong with you being from germany. SMG simply asked if you had a green card and what not since that would help you, not hinder you. Law states that "foreign" workers have to have proper documentation and that companies are supposed to verify that information if they are following the law, which is why she asked the question in the first place. Three people, including myself, offered some ideas or places to go to for job ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 AM

243 posts, read 692,614 times
Also, have you stopped by any of the Temp agencies around johnson city? at least they could give you some work for a little while. Might be worth checking out.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
Markus, I assure you that everyone in this thread only wants to help you out. There was just some confusion - that's all.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 75,639 times
when i was looking for a job, besides the usual stuff in the paper and online; when i had to go to the store i would also as the cashier if they were friendly enough especially if i was in another county. had some good tips that way. i read the posts marcus noone was downing u because ur german. dont get discouraged, try to stay positive and things will hopefully get better.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:43 PM

46 posts, read 131,769 times
Mark,
Germany is a beautiful country. My sis in law is from a small town outside of Mannheim. I went with her to visit her Omma and had a wonderful time. Went during Fausching, wow what fun!!!!

I would say being persistant, keep looking, keep talking to people. Let them know you'll do anything. Busboy, lawns, baggers at grocery stores, and check the paper every day.

Best of luck to you! In these economic times I still believe if a person is determined to work they can find something. It may not be the ideal job, but it can be an important job to get you thru the difficult times that we all face.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
That seems a bit cold. What makes you assume he isn't a native son just trying to get through these hard times?

And even if he's not a natural born citizen he is asking for ideas about how to make an honest buck through hard work. I got no problem with any man or woman who asks such questions. We've got more than enough 'native sons' sitting on their butts 'drawing' and selling their Lortabs or Meth for a living. If this man wants to earn an honest buck, I say that's what America is supposed to be about...opportunity for people willing to earn their keep and sweat for a dollar!!!!
Seems cold? The last post from this member before he posted here he told us that he didn't have a work permit and he also said he was willing to do volunteer work. He mentioned that he was from Germany. He didn't update us here on his first post in this thread that he had obtained his work permit.

My post was to be taken at face value. Not sure why you thought it was cold but I presume you didn't check his previous posts (only two of them at the time he posted this thread) or remember him from before like I did. I asked how he was liking it here. Hmmm, I didn't think that was cold at all.

Blind, thanks for the backup!

Mark, glad you obtained your work permit! Good luck finding a job and I still would love for you to answer how you are liking it here but it's ok if you don't.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-02-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM

295 posts, read 750,550 times
Default Again. I apologize

It was all my bad. I apologize to all who read this post. Especially you Smoky Mtn Gal.
Please excuse my reading something completely wrong into your response.

I had another idea though for Markusde which I would like to contribute. Some folks I have spoken to recently who mentioned wanting someone to stain and/or clean their decks, also mentioned trying to find someone to apply sealant to their driveway. The big box stores sell latex based driveway sealant which is crap [lasts just about one season], but you may be able to look around and find the real petroleum based driveway sealant. [up in MD it was marketed under the Clipper Ship label, don't know what they call it down here] If you can apply that kind of sealant it will last for several years and people should happily pay you good money for doing that. You would need minimal tools to apply it and it could be good money.

Again, I apologize for creating drama where there was none to begin with.

Best of luck to you all.

S

Last edited by NorthernLights; 06-07-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol