U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM

5,551 posts, read 9,195,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am actually concerned about the race population of 98% whites and less than 1% other races in MC. Are other races welcomed and accepted in Mountain City? Is there any diversity in this town?
No... ??? Why in the world would you wonder about diversity in a mountain town? If that's what you're looking for, definitely stay away from rural east Tennessee, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
srg

16 posts, read 24,609 times
I recently purchased a home in Mountain City - I did a lot of research, visited many areas in ne tn and found Mountain City to be Just what i was looking for in a retirment home. I have also found the locals to be very friendly and helpful!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:40 AM

9,807 posts, read 6,263,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71boobie View Post
I am actually concerned about the race population of 98% whites and less than 1% other races in MC. Are other races welcomed and accepted in Mountain City? Is there any diversity in this town?

If you want diversity, find a town that has a poultry processing plant.

Morristown, for instance.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
Default Anyone know anything about CAFO?

Wife and I are looking at a property in MC and researching the area and market. We've come across the CAFO controversy and wonder if anyone has any insights. Issues we've seen raised include odor and ground water contamination. Appreciate any insights.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,504,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casus View Post
Wife and I are looking at a property in MC and researching the area and market. We've come across the CAFO controversy and wonder if anyone has any insights. Issues we've seen raised include odor and ground water contamination. Appreciate any insights.
The proposed CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation) fell apart a few years ago. I think the only thing they did was clear some land on the Maymead farm, and then the project died.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,938,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
The proposed CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation) fell apart a few years ago. I think the only thing they did was clear some land on the Maymead farm, and then the project died.
Thanks, kamoshika for disclosing that info. After living in MC for almost 20 years - then moving off the mountain -I'd lost touch with that issue which was tearing factions in the community apart. It was a horrible idea and could have quickly polluted a nearly pristine waterway - leading to Watauga Lake. But there was a lot of big money in the deal and some state politics involved so many folks thought it *would* happen. A dedicated group of locals fought dilligently, held meetings and researched then disseminated info to keep the public informed about the potential environmental harm. I believe one of the main proponents and future partner in the deal was found murdered in his NC home.
(I only know some of the more lurid details because at one point was asked if I'd consider working on a lengthy news article for the media - I'd worked at the local paper)
I am pleased to hear it's over and that there was a positive resolution for beautiful Mountain City (except of course for the death of one of the participants).

Employment opportunities in MC are so few and far between that *anything* holding the promise of jobs is strongly considered - often without thinking of the consequences. A few years back it was a utility company windmill farm.

It is a lovely town for retirees and has many benefits..

Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
Mountain City is one of those Confederate flag flyin' towns but will give till it hurts to anyone, no matter their race.I must say that it is definately one of the most religious places I've ever been.They are the old -timey shoutin',pushy,in your face,churches...very different...guess you could call it "the hills religious". And for goodness sake....you better join one if you live there!Its definately "backwoods"....& thats the way I think living should be like,personally.Go back to the "old days".....you know,the "Little Big Town" song....5 card poker on Saturday night....church on Sunday mornin'! Wish i could go back there.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 AM

50 posts, read 59,524 times
We visited MC several times as we were shopping for property. It really is beautiful. BTW, they have a GREAT Mexican restaurant if you like that sort of thing.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 PM

12,532 posts, read 18,207,413 times
younglisa7 is pretty much an expert on Mountain City. You ought to message her. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol