Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times

Advertisements

The truth is, I've never heard of any of those businesses and most other people living in the Tri-Cities nowadays haven't either. I'm sorry you can't live in Bristol from 1955, but everything changes. If it doesn't change, it dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,211,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlywild View Post

The recent demolition of King's Mountain Memorial Hospital should be enough to deter any sane person from entering Bristol.
I am a life-long resident of Bristol as well and I really dont remember much until the 80s when I was a kid... I remember when JCPenney was down on the corner of State and Piedmont.... that was neat. As far as that, I think it was kinda dead down there?

I too wish it could be redone exactly like it was, but like MBMOUSE said, its almost impossible. The buildings weather and have to be redone and perhaps some of the same materials cannot be replaced back, but some do a good job of it. I was a little disappointed to see that they removed the old original wavy awning that ran along there were Java Js is now... that was a neat design and it was in good shape... I hated to see it go. IMO, it was uncalled for.

I also was sad to see the old Kings hospital destroyed too. Yeah, it was run down, but I was hoping someone would save it, but apparently the foundation was in very poor conditions, at least that what was said... perhaps to keep tempers flaring? Like when they tore down the old Bristol Memorial Hospital back in the mid 1990s, they said that it had staff infection and that the land there was going to support a new city park... that was in 1995, 14 years ago and still no park is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
quietlywild, welcome to the forum.
Maybe someone in your circle is using the wrong terms, I believe the word that describes what is happening in downtown Bristol would be termed "revitalization" not "preservation".
It would be nice to keep or return any downtown city to it's original look, feel and inhabitants during a revitalization, but the reality is that it just can't happen. Unfortunately businesses go out of business, they get replaced or what they sold goes out of style of the current times. I do agree that if during a revitalization of a town that it should be a requirement that an old fashion diner and ice cream shop be opened and look just like it did "in the old days" but the truth is, unless an investor/entrepreneur steps up and opens one, it just wont happen.
You have to admit though, what is happening is MUCH better than a bunch of old buildings that are allowed to sit and rot, crumble into rubble while filled with drug deals and the homeless community at war for the spaces which does happen is some other old buildings in cities across the country.
Nicely put MB! Yeah its also true that sometimes you just cant get that same material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The truth is, I've never heard of any of those businesses and most other people living in the Tri-Cities nowadays haven't either. I'm sorry you can't live in Bristol from 1955, but everything changes. If it doesn't change, it dies.
Yeah, all of those places mentioned were booming places in downtown Bristol in the 50s and maybe until the 70s. I guess most everyone 45 and older probably remember these places. My mom is 54 and she remembers alot of old places downtown... that was the only place to shop in the 50s.

But what you say is true, everything changes.

The south moves north, the north moves south, a star is born, a star burns out.... the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes, everything changes....... time marches on..... time marches on.....

like the 90s country song goes.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 AM

47 posts, read 168,253 times
I live on State Street in one of those lofts and absolutely adore it. They've come so far just from when I moved here back in February. Believe in Bristol does a lot to bring people downtown to celebrate what made Bristol the city it is. I've lived many different places in my short time and Bristol has been by far the city with the most motivation to preserve a history. I really don't think there should be any complaining.

But if you guys get a chance come see the business just opened up on State Street I help run! To stop this from being an advertisement just PM me for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol