Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,829 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm new to this board, but I would love to ask some questions regarding the area and possibly help with finding a place to live.

Some background:
My husband is going to be stationed with the Army in Korea for the next year, so my three small children and I are moving to TN with the hopes of when he ends his Army contract next year he can get out and either go to school or start a law enforcement job there.

We are pretty simple people, and love living in the mountains. Our dream is to live simply. We really want a log cabin, and although I found a great one on craigslist, it looks like someone beat us to it.

My questions are these.

What areas do you recommend we live? We don't need to be super close to any of the large cities, driving a little never hurt anyone.

We need to rent right now, as we have a home we own in Va that we can't sell yet, and that we rent out to others. Does anybody know a good rental agency or place to look for homes, even word of mouth would be nice. We need 3 bedrooms, rent between $500-$800. (and if you know of a little log cabin for rent or lease, PLEASE let me know!! ) I've been all over the web (craigslist, chamber of commerce, Johnsoncitypress.com) and there are some houses I saw promising, but I wanted to get an idea of the areas first.

Understandably, my husband wants me in a safe area while he is away, so are there any areas I should avoid?

My kids will be entering Kindergarten and 1st grade. Are there any school districts I should avoid?

We are planning to move anytime after the 1st of July.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times
Have you checked here yet? Classifieds Results | Times News Online - Houses for Rent (http://www.timesnews.net/classified_details.php?category=House%20For%20Rent - broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 23,250 times
Hi,
I just moved here a few months ago myself so I dont know too much about the area, but I saw that you asked about rental agencies and I just wanted to let you know that you should AVOID Property Listing and Rental Agency in Johnson City. I used them when I first moved here and it was a big scam, I paid $50 for them to give me their listings and every number they gave me was disconnected... I called them and told them about it and they said they would call me back but they never did and they never answered anymore of my calls. I finally found a house on craigs list that I liked.
Just wanted to let you know good luck finding a place!

Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
Blountville and Gray would be good areas to rent while you look to buy in the Tricities. They are centrally located and have plenty of rental options.

Here is the location of some small cabins I've seen while driving. 5958 bobby hicks hwy 37615
Link: 37615 Map

Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,521 times
On second thought, they look to small. See link: street view.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I would say to find three bedrooms for under 900 you'll need to stay outside Johnson City. Erwin (or Okolona), Gray, Blountville, Surgoinsville are all nice.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:05 PM

218 posts, read 417,137 times
We own a rental in Cottage Colony a small cul-du-sac with 22 log homes. Most are 1&2 bedrooms, but there are a few 3 bedrooms. It is off Walnut ST. in the Southside
school district which is one of Johnson City's best. Our house is only 1 bedroom and our daughter lived there while she was in school. Mostly college and Professional people - not a lot of kids but a few. Built by Marvin Carter, I know there are several for sale, possibly you could find one who would rent. Best of luck to you

Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Thank you everyone for all your help! Your suggestions have been most helpful. We still haven't found a place yet, twice now we have almost gotten a house only to be beat out by someone else. It's starting to feel like a wrestling match or race rather than simply finding a place to rent. Kinda discouraging. I've never had this much trouble finding a place before. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM

510 posts, read 1,387,041 times
"TheEClassified" is a local on-line resource theEClassifieds That might have some listing you haven't seen. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Jim, I hadn't checked that one out... I will definitely try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol