Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pima247 View Post
Right now were living in a 3 +2 1000 Sq foot apartment and paying 1900 a month.... were just not happy anymore. My kids need a yard ( the dog would not mind one either) I'm looking for a community... family things to do places to go, and a good place to raise the kids.... and time to enjoy it all with them, not watching them threw my corporate office window!
There are several in the JCPress. The problem will be finding pets allowed. For Example:

NJC - 1510 Baxter St. 3BR/2BA Hdwd & tile thru-out, Lg yard front & back, Exc Loc $975/mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 25,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
There are several in the JCPress. The problem will be finding pets allowed. For Example:

NJC - 1510 Baxter St. 3BR/2BA Hdwd & tile thru-out, Lg yard front & back, Exc Loc $975/mo

Is it hard to find a place that will rent with pets??? I love my dog... no way I could ever leave him behind.... would not go over well with my 7 year old either!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Most will say no pets. Others may charge extra. Others will not care. It always helps if you can demonstrate the dog is well behaved. Pets just make the search a little more difficult.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,659 times
Quote:
Is it hard to find a place that will rent with pets??? I love my dog... no way I could ever leave him behind.... would not go over well with my 7 year old either!
You'll probably be able to find something to rent; however, you'll discover that the Tri-cities (and the South in general) is not as welcoming (or progressive or whatever) regarding dogs as CA and other western states. They are treated as, well, dogs here. People still fight dogs (it's illegal) and you'll see them wandering around in the country loose, malnourished and generally looking "rough". They don't always have their shots updated either. It's a country thing.

RC is right. You'll probably have to pay more in terms of a pet/damage deposit or you may find that only small dogs will be allowed. I don't know why people use a small dog as an indicator of no damage or good behavior--not always the case. No pets will be the most common.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 25,729 times
RC is right. You'll probably have to pay more in terms of a pet/damage deposit or you may find that only small dogs will be allowed. I don't know why people use a small dog as an indicator of no damage or good behavior--not always the case. No pets will be the most common.[/quote]

We are big dog people always have had a dog... always will. Right now we pay $50.00 per month extra for "Dog Rent" along with a$500.00 dollar pet deposit!

You are right on the little dog thing though... size is not a factor on damage! Our boy is 60 pounds and a perfect house pet.... we love him the big couch potato!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,659 times
Quote:
You are right on the little dog thing though... size is not a factor on damage! Our boy is 60 pounds and a perfect house pet.... we love him the big couch potato!
I have two big "lazies" lying around in the house right now. They sleep all day inside but love to race around the yard. We've always had big dogs and never had any problems with them. I'm sure you will find appropriate housing for everyone.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
I've found that even if they say no pets, ALWAYS ask. If you sound/act like a responsible adult, especially if the owner/lessor is an individual and not an agency, they sometimes relent for a pet deposit.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM

295 posts, read 750,550 times
Glad you'll have a solid income. My education and background is in environmental science. I have been living on my savings and investments for 25 months now [yup, 25] Still love it here but there are not only zero jobs in my profession but if there were they'd maybe pay 2/3rds of what I used to make. I have spent the last year corresponding with everyone from commissioner Fyke on down as well as their counterparts in WNC, outlining my almost 30 years of experience in consulting, construction, property development and environmental science offering to sell my home at a loss and move anywhere in the state and work for the parks dept. or dept. of the environment for free [yup, for free, gratis, zero, zip, no money/no bennies] and they have been polite and supportive but declined my offer. They canvas colleges for upcoming grads who've never worked any where else much before from January to April, offer them seasonal temp positions and then keep one or two of them at the end of the summer as full time. There doesn't seem to be any other way into the parks dept. or dept. of the environment, maybe if I was a veteran but...
The best recommendation for a job I got recently was from the head of JC's chamber of commerce recommending me to a tele-marketing company [I'd rather eat bees than sit in a cube all day and harass citizens about vinyl siding, re-financing or doing collection calling].
I love it here but I'm bored off my a--. There are no jobs now not Wahlgreen's or CVS or Homey Depot or Lowe's. I've tried them all multiple times since June of 2007. I am seriously thinking of locking this place up and moving my clothes and other essentials back to my family home in MD and just taking some work there in the interim and building my savings back up and maybe coming back in a year or so and open the house up and try and find work when things get better. I love it here and aim to spend the rest of my life here but for now I'm not even finding interesting volunteer work that might get me in the public eye and in front of potential employers. But, the upshot is in your situation you will be able to find an affordable home to rent and live in a beautiful place where you can rent for 6 months to a year until you find what part of the area you wish to live in and put that 2 grand a month you have coming in down on a nice home where you can have all the dogs you want and hike with them up in the hills and pay no income tax and low property taxes like I have been for two years.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 07-30-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM

NL, my sister recently graduated and is looking in a field related to yours - quite unsuccessfully. Turns out you need to know a senator to get a job in a park.

One of my good friends from HS, wants this type of job as well. He caught on at the Job Corp, hoping to transfer into a forest services job. Two years plus of applying for almost every opening nationwide has yielded nothing.

So you definitely have my sympathies.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM

295 posts, read 750,550 times
I am afraid you must be mistaken rccrain. The President has assured the entire nation that all the jobs lost in manufacturing etc. will be more than made up for in the green, environmental sector.
I pity any person who reads this who is currently sending their child to college for any environmental science career. Maybe the next college degree you buy them will be in physical or occupational therapy, nursing, or maybe even social work. Much more opportunity there. Environmental jobs are as scarce and as high paying as jobs in art or ancient history. If you find work in the field it is about as fulfilling and interesting as being a law clerk or doing title abstraction 40+ hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol