U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 AM

426 posts, read 823,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLABLOVER View Post
, whole foods, mellow mushroom coming .... it just seemed so much ahead of kingsport.
Whole Foods in Johnson City? You sure about that? Couldn't find it on their website and they are currently only located in the more affluent (and populated) areas of TN.

Did see the info about Mellow Mushroom, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,021,967 times
I believe they meant Earth Fare instead of Whole Foods.
Granted, 6, 5 or even 4 years ago ( I have lived in East TN for 12 and the Tri for 5), I would agree with the comments of JC over Kingsport, however it has been obvious over the past 3 to 4 years that Kingsport has decided as a whole to make their city better. They have gotten together and done huge leaps and strides to accomplish it. From infrastructure projects such as new schools, traffic pattern repairs, signs, etc. To enticing new stores such as Target, Michaels, Dicks, Kohl's, Books-a-million, Best Buy, Old Navy and more to come to Kingsport with the opening of the Kingsport Pavilion.
It has one of the best schools in all of east TN in Dobyns Bennett, plus several good private options. Two fantastic parks in Warriors Path and Bay's Mountain which has a brand new planetarium. And that is just outside the immediate downtown area which also has grown business and residential wise exponentially in the past 3 years which also includes beautification of the sidewalks and walk ways within the city. The creation of the Green Belt which added a fantastic walk way along the river for everyone to enjoy.
All of the above and more caused not only property value increase during a countries re-sale value crash but Kingsport was able to lower the property tax rate to one of the lowest in recent history.
When it comes to Eastman, yes it can smell once in a while (because it has it's own sewage refinement plant) and yes, some people who have allergies can be very effected by it, but the majority doesn't. It exceeds all EPA requirements, all water testing in recent history has exceeded requirements. It is also the largest employer that has the highest pay rates in the region. It also keeps a whole lot of highly educated employees in the region.
So all in all, if you look at what Kingsport has done for their city and people in the past few years and compare that to JC, Kingsport is leaps and bounds a head. Heck recently Bristol and it's revitalization is moving a whole lot faster into the next century than JC who has still yet to address the flooding issue in their downtown.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

58 posts, read 75,949 times
Default About this Eastman business ...

Is Scott County, VA in the same watershed as Kingsport, and is it upriver or downriver?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 PM

1,511 posts, read 3,440,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQofPA View Post
Is Scott County, VA in the same watershed as Kingsport, and is it upriver or downriver?
Kingsport is downriver from Scott Co. and the city shares two of Scott Co.'s four watersheds:
Search Results: kingsport | Surf Your Watershed | US EPA
Scott County | Surf Your Watershed | US EPA

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM

2,326 posts, read 5,971,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I believe they meant Earth Fare instead of Whole Foods.
Granted, 6, 5 or even 4 years ago ( I have lived in East TN for 12 and the Tri for 5), I would agree with the comments of JC over Kingsport, however it has been obvious over the past 3 to 4 years that Kingsport has decided as a whole to make their city better. They have gotten together and done huge leaps and strides to accomplish it. From infrastructure projects such as new schools, traffic pattern repairs, signs, etc. To enticing new stores such as Target, Michaels, Dicks, Kohl's, Books-a-million, Best Buy, Old Navy and more to come to Kingsport with the opening of the Kingsport Pavilion.
It has one of the best schools in all of east TN in Dobyns Bennett, plus several good private options. Two fantastic parks in Warriors Path and Bay's Mountain which has a brand new planetarium. And that is just outside the immediate downtown area which also has grown business and residential wise exponentially in the past 3 years which also includes beautification of the sidewalks and walk ways within the city. The creation of the Green Belt which added a fantastic walk way along the river for everyone to enjoy.
All of the above and more caused not only property value increase during a countries re-sale value crash but Kingsport was able to lower the property tax rate to one of the lowest in recent history.
When it comes to Eastman, yes it can smell once in a while (because it has it's own sewage refinement plant) and yes, some people who have allergies can be very effected by it, but the majority doesn't. It exceeds all EPA requirements, all water testing in recent history has exceeded requirements. It is also the largest employer that has the highest pay rates in the region. It also keeps a whole lot of highly educated employees in the region.
So all in all, if you look at what Kingsport has done for their city and people in the past few years and compare that to JC, Kingsport is leaps and bounds a head. Heck recently Bristol and it's revitalization is moving a whole lot faster into the next century than JC who has still yet to address the flooding issue in their downtown.
Great post, mbmouse!

I grew up in and around Kingsport, in Church Hill and Surgoinsville areas, and those areas are excellent places to raise kids. The OP mentioned a "small rural town"--which Surgoinsville would fit the bill perfectly. Church Hill is also small, but not necessarily "rural" like Surgoinsville is. Also, check out Rogersville--a gorgeous, quaint town reminiscent of the early 1900s, about 30+ some odd miles or so from Kport in Hawkins County.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
I'm thinking of moving to the Bristol, TN area when my home here sells. I like living in a historical district, revitilized downtown areas {hate malls} hiking, whitewater rafting, bluegrass and jazz. I'm also concerned about the job market, I've been in business to business sales for years.
So, is Bristol a good idea???

Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,213,752 times
Bristol is good, but you may like Kingsport better - it has the best downtown. Concern about the job market is warranted. Unemployment is running about 9%.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,905,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSue View Post
I'm thinking of moving to the Bristol, TN area when my home here sells. I like living in a historical district, revitilized downtown areas {hate malls} hiking, whitewater rafting, bluegrass and jazz. I'm also concerned about the job market, I've been in business to business sales for years.
So, is Bristol a good idea???
Come visit and see. You are smart to be concerned about the job market. It's tough stuff here (like most places). If Bristol doesn't suit you I am sure that Kingsport will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol