Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to the Johnson City/ Kingsport area. I should be able to transfer my job to Pet Dairy in Kingsport. I have 3 children ages 2, 8 and 16 so schools schools schools are my major priorty. I am not opposed to a 30-45 minute commute to work. I hope to purchase a home also. We have traveled to the area before but need "the inside scoop" Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM

86 posts, read 373,165 times
Be more specific. What kind of area are you looking for? What activities are your kids involved in? What are their strongest subjects? There are lots of good schools, lots of good areas in which to live... you just have to narrow it down.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
I agree with TN2HI, can you give us some more info as to specifics? If you want a general opinion, I love the Gray (I live here) area for the schools and the people. The fact that it is right in between Kingsport and Johnson City also makes it very convenient. Less property taxes too. My office is in Kingsport and it takes me about 15 minutes to get there. Kingsport City has great schools, County, not so much, but still good. Washington County (Gray) schools are fantastic! I have my two boys in these schools.
What other questions do you have that we might be able to help you with.?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Thanks, I heard Washington County is a very good school District. Like most people I want the best of both worlds I would like to live in a somewhat rural area but be close enough to shopping. I don't want to be on top of my neighbors but it would be nice for my kids to have someone to play with. My son is only two so his only interest is tearing up the house. My eight yr. old is a Black Belt in Taekwondo so I will have to find a decent Martial Arts School. My oldest hopefully will be College minded so higher education availability is important also. My other transfer opportunity would be to Mayfield Dairy in Athens Tn. I have never visited there and know very little about the area.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 AM

After your last post, I say even more that you need to check out Gray TN. There are several housing areas where the houses have .75 acre or more and neighbors close by but not on top of one another. They also have one road in/out so it is safe for the kids to ride bikes, play ball in the street, etc.
As for higher education we have ETSU, North East State, Walters State, King college, Tussculum and branches of UT all in the Tri-Cities region.
There are several Martial Arts schools in the area too, one that picks the kids up after school and is an after care program as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Thank you for the info. I have another job prospect in Bristol Va. I thought Bristol was in Tn but I did a mapquest and it is like 20 miles from Kingsport. Do many people cross into Va to work? Are there many advantages or disadvantages to this?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM

13 posts, read 37,327 times
Bristol, VA has the main commercial sector of the city. It has most of the good shopping centers. Bristol, TN has the residential sector. Bristol, TN has about 25,000 residents while Bristol, VA has around 17,000. As for jobs, i'd say its pretty much equal. Bristol, TN has a lot of new industrial developments coming about. I'm not real sure about the VA sides industrial region. Like mbmouse said, the gray area seems like a perfect fit. I go to school at Boone and it is a really good school. The county is currently renovating the school so it should be even better.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert1 View Post
Thank you for the info. I have another job prospect in Bristol Va. I thought Bristol was in Tn but I did a mapquest and it is like 20 miles from Kingsport. Do many people cross into Va to work? Are there many advantages or disadvantages to this?

mbmouse already gave you info re: Gray. Johnson City has Science Hill HS and Cherokee elementrary- very high-rated schools district. Johnson City population is 56,000 but is spread out. Johnson City has nice developments- not all close together- we have 1 acre.

Bristol didnt have much for us, driving that far from here wouldnt really be worth it, for me. Good luck.

sunny

Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM

If you lived in the North JC area (gray for example) or Kingsport, it would be about a 30 minute drive each way to Bristol TN/VA for work. The advantage to working in VA and living in TN....you sometimes can get a bit higher wages in VA but don't have to pay state income tax if you live in TN. You do have to pay state income tax if you live in VA. The other great thing is that you can grocery shop in VA on your way home and save a bunch of money on sales tax. TN taxes food, VA does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol