Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Cost of living difference and state income tax.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Yes there is that, but you'd think that the govt would pay the same no matter what, but even that doesn't add up, JCVA pays there CNA's $2 more per hour than the Asheville VA. But they can do what they want, just as long as I start working soon

Tony
It also has to do with supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Quote:
I've been offered a job with the VA in Asheville, but I don't want to leave Johnson City, I like it here and my son is on his 2nd High School already.

My options are to move to Asheville or commute, it's an 1hr 10 min commute from my house to the VA 5 days a week. I applied to the VA here in JC, but I can't even get an interview here and I'm a vet, too many people applying.

I figure I'll commute for a while and try it out, I was wanting to buy a bigger home and move out of the trailer we are in, now that I'm done with school.

Any thoughts on whether to move or not.

Tony

p.s. For those few that know me here, I've finished school, passed my boards and I'm now a Licensed Practical Nurse!!!!

Congrats Tony! Have you sold that other parcel of land you had? Sounds like you've come a long ways since we met back in May. I also wanted to mention, at least your commute is on one of the most beautiful interstates in the country I-26! I'd always carry and extra change of clothes in case you have to stay in Asheville some night due to weather. You also have a car that's a 4 cylinder if I recall? That should be do alright gas mileage wise.

Congrats!

Last edited by JoshB; 10-04-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Added a little more ;)

Old 10-04-2009, 06:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
They don't make 4 cylinder Mustangs anymore Josh hehehehehe.
Hey Tony, have you sat down and done the math yet on the state income tax and gas per mile and all that? $3 an hour difference might get eaten up pretty quick.
Then again, if you can put a cooler in the car, you can do the weekly grocery shopping just after work and save some sales tax.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:52 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
I'm confused, Jab drives a Mustang I thought?
Tony Drives a Toyota? Or at least I thought he did?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM

All three of us have Mustangs. But maybe Tony does have a Toyota too...which would be MUCH better gas mileage for over the mountains and that commute.....Tony?

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-05-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
We need a Tri-Cities Mustang Club.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,135 times
Quote:
All three of us have Mustangs. But maybe Tony does have a Toyota too...which would be MUCH better gas mileage for over the mountains and that commute.....Tony?
I do have a Toyota as well, wife drives it, 4 cyl Matrix.

I did the math. It's not pretty.

$0.98 per hour to pay state income tax
$1.50 per hour for gas at $2.25 gallon, 700 miles per week
= $2.48 for working in Asheville

$18.53 - $2.48 = $16.05 for the TN equivalent. Assuming I was offered a LPN position at the JCVA, it would be $15.52, so even accounting for income tax and gas, I'm about .53 cents an hour to the good. But in the big scheme of things, that's pretty much a wash. Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten an interview at the JCVA, so it's also a mute point.

I'd much rather work at the JC VA, but until I get a job offer or even an interview, I'll have to start in Asheville.

BTW, I just received a phone call with a full time job offer at my hospital in Bristol, it'd work out to be around $18hr to start, but no benefits, retirement, etc.

Too many jobs, too little time

Tony

Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Boy, that is close in the math dept. Great that you are starting to get more offers! The Bristol hospital, is there a possibility of benefits after a certain amount of time? With the extra almost $3 an hour, could you buy a family policy in the mean time?
Sorry, but you know how I think hahahahhaa.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,111 times
Quote:
BTW, I just received a phone call with a full time job offer at my hospital in Bristol, it'd work out to be around $18hr to start, but no benefits, retirement, etc.
Wellmont is offering full time but no benefits? That's terrible!!!
Would you, by chance, qualify for them after a certain length of time on the job?

I would also add that if you are commuting 2-3 hours roundtrip per day to work in Asheville, then you should add the weekly commute time to the total number of hours worked per week and divide that to come up with your overall hourly wage. Most people do have some sort of commute time involved with a job but you can easily turn a 40 hour work week into a 50-55 work week with a commute like that. Your time is worth something, after all.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,135 times
Quote:
Boy, that is close in the math dept. Great that you are starting to get more offers! The Bristol hospital, is there a possibility of benefits after a certain amount of time? With the extra almost $3 an hour, could you buy a family policy in the mean time?
Sorry, but you know how I think hahahahhaa.
Sorry for the confusion, the $18 with no benefits, includes all of the differentials, night, acuity pay, pay for skipping benefits, etc. I could get benefits (insurance, etc) but if I skip them, I get 20% extra pay, which helps bump my pay up to $18, otherwise my pay would be closer to $15.60

I get medical benefits from the military, and the 20% from my hospital would pay for those benefits and then some.

And a big positive, I'm swimming in job offers, which is AWESOME, I'm excited about being able to starting my new career. I really want to start and get settled, buy a bigger house, etc. Almost all of my classmates are already working in their new jobs.

I'm way excited, didn't even think that I'd find a job over $15 an hour. I really like it here, so many positives. No real bad job choice, just some have better long term potential (V.A. Hosp)

Thanks

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City