Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,295,616 times

Advertisements

My son called hubby this afternoon and said as he was driving to Kroger by ETSU, there was a huge commotion at the First TN Bank across the street there. Said it looked like a car drove right into the banks front doors. Lots of flashing lights and such when he was driving by. I have looked at all the local news stations, radio stations web sites and such, can't find a thing. Anyone see or know what happened???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 17,196,026 times
JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

Late update I guess. Got it on my twitter feed.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,295,616 times
Thanks Jabogitlu,
That is sad, poor woman hit the accelerator instead of the break. I am glad it wasn't something malicious or on purpose. I also hope that they take this ladies license away. No one was hurt, but still, she is 74 and obviously has some driving problems. This brings up a good question, why don't they require driving tests every year for people over the age of 70? My folks are both over 70, Mom doesn't like to drive anymore and Dad does fine,but I would still like to see them have to take a test every year. There are so many well over 75, 80 year olds driving who should not be, for the safety of others and themselves.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:06 PM

712 posts, read 1,485,103 times
I have always said the same thing MB, but then everyone responds "well thats the only way they may have to get around". Im sorry, but If you cant get around safely you should find some other way.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM

383 posts, read 917,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
This brings up a good question, why don't they require driving tests every year for people over the age of 70....

...and under the age of 25.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 17,196,026 times
? People under 25 are perfectly capable. We hear better, respond better, think faster than you guys.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM

608 posts, read 1,706,933 times
How senile do you have to be to drive a small vehicle all the way over the large stone rectangular block in front of the handicap space?

I mean ... have you ever bumped into a curb? You can feel it even if you're moving 3 mph. To somehow manage to drive all the way over that block while attempting to go in reverse ... that takes some major loss of cognitive abilities right there. I definitely agree that after a certain age, drivers should be re-tested more frequently.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 AM

383 posts, read 917,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
? People under 25 are perfectly capable. We hear better, respond better, think faster than you guys.
None of that means "you guys" possess the skill set, experience, and maturity of a good driver. I think the insurance companies across the country would agree with me on this one Jab

When I was in drivers ed, we spent 6 months learning to drive: In a simulator, then in a parking lot learning to drive both manual and automatic transmissions, and then on the road. Today's drivers ed spends more time teaching consequences and repercussions of bad driving then it does teaching good driving skills. My daughter is 22 and my son is 19. I was amazed at the lack of training they provided these kids so I spent months (as I would have anyway) teaching them what drivers ed no longer does....starting in a parking lot at 6 am in the morning, learning the skill sets and habits of a good driver.

__________________________________________________ ________

City Data quote of the day: If we all obeyed every single traffic law, traffic would be at a standstill - Jabogitlu

Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 AM

712 posts, read 1,485,103 times
I agree with this point also. Young people are not prepared to drive when they start, and should be tested better also (many never have to take a drivers test). But that doesnt take from the point that elderly people should also be tested yearly. There comes a point to which we dont have the reaction time, etc. that is needed to drive safely. At that point, we should quit driving

Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM

608 posts, read 1,706,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I agree with this point also. Young people are not prepared to drive when they start, and should be tested better also (many never have to take a drivers test). But that doesnt take from the point that elderly people should also be tested yearly. There comes a point to which we dont have the reaction time, etc. that is needed to drive safely. At that point, we should quit driving
The problems with young drivers probably can't be remedied via testing. You can cram all the traffic info that you'd like down their throats. It won't change the fact the young drivers tend to be less mature, less experienced, and more prone to aggressive driving.

The only thing I think might improve that is requiring longer learners' permit times. Also, expanding public transit and building more bike lanes and making teenagers use those options rather than driving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol