U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 PM

67 posts, read 127,571 times

Advertisements

SCBeaches, you are a wonderful person. Thank you for saving little Miracle. Jcpets, I hope that dog gets rescued.

I plan to adopt two dogs this Summer from the animal shelter, once we get settled into our new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:31 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,598,281 times
I've often thought about getting a second dog, but I don't think Bosco ( our big chocolate Lab ) would like it. Oh yes, he just nudged me to remind me that it's his birthday, 7 years old, and I should get off this thing and play with him.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,889,660 times
THank you SmokyMtnGirl! Ya'll, I can't even count the number of times I have reported animal neglect and cruelty and gotten something done about it. All of my other 5 pets are rescues too and each has a "story". Like you, jcpets, I can't just look the other way and hope for the best...my conscious won't let me. Hey, I even broke up a dog fighting ring by anonymously reporting it (found out from one of my students at school who told me how horribly the dogs were being treated as they were being "trained" and since I knew where he lived, was able to tell the police where to go....). It made the local news and no one ever knew who turned it in!

Well, I hope something is done for this innocent little prisoner. God bless you for doing the right thing. I will keep checking back to see if he is rescued.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,340,216 times
I also report animal neglect and cruelty. There is no excuse for it. Period.
Our dog just passed away and I want to adopt one in a few months. It's too soon right now.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Thank you, Madeline4...and Good for you, Mookster!! Our 4-legged companions need more people like you!

Armstrong, my 13-year-old lab/retriever/setter mix (also a rescue who I had since he was about 3 months old) had to be put to sleep last April, due to so many medical problems which were causing him pain - mostly the arthritis. My vet said it was time and would be the best gift I could give the old guy, since the meds were no longer effective. Everyone loved Armstrong....and it was a very sad and emotional day for my family. I was now down to 2 dogs and decided to keep it that way....then, 8 months later, in December, along came little Miracle. She has been a blessing to this family! She didn't replace Armstrong, but looking at how happy and excited she is to be here each and every day (she jumps up and down like a little wind up toy when anyone enters the room....and she actually smiles - no kidding!) just brings a smile to my face every time I look at her.
So, hopefully, Mookster, it won't be long before you're ready to share your love and home again with another special dog.

....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOSCO!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,340,216 times
Yes! Happy Birthday to Bosco!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpets View Post
I reported the trapped dog. I'll post news on a possible rescue when it comes up.

I'm just wondering if you've heard anything about this dog? Have you seen it lately? I've been thinking of him......

Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 15,386 times
I called the shelter a second time to see about the dog and was told the dog would be out of the cattle trailer in a week, that it's owner had it in there for a private reason and the dog's second location would not be check upon because they knew the owner personally.
I let the rescue operation know of the details and was told this is not uncommon. That the unprofessional manner of the shelter is a long standing issue that she herself along with other rescue organizations work to understand with each dog that is unfortunately left out in the folds of the bureaucracy. "The dog owner tells the shelter what they want to hear and the shelter tells the concerned citizen what they want to hear and then case closed."

Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 AM

What a terrible system! At least it's not hot right now, but what happens when the temps go up in the 80's? Maybe you can write a letter to the editor of the newspaper about this dog and that you've tried to help but are getting no where with the local shelter. It if gets printed, this will bring out other animal lovers in the area and perhaps public outcry might get something done? It's worth a try. Or the latch on the trailer door could "accidentally" get left unlocked and the door could be accidentally opened and the dog could "accidentally" get out??

Thanks for posting your follow-up progress.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 92,406 times
Have your pet spayed or nutuered, just like Bob Barker says. You need to stop blaming animal shelters for euthinizing dogs and cats, when the responsibility should be placed on the people who didnt get their pets "fixed". There are over 63 million dogs in the US today, if no dogs or cats were put down, that figure would be quadrupled, making over half of them homeless to rome the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol