Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,624,598 times

Advertisements

That is not what it's about Rip. It's not about breaking laws, it's about preserving freedom and liberty and suppressing tyranny. We shouldn't fear our own government, it should fear us.

It's happening...
SparkNotes: 1984
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,829 times
Recently, we camped at Lakeview RV Park in Bluff City. When we took a trip to Johnson City and I saw the new cameras. Unfortunately, I saw a flash, so they may have seen me too. Basically, when it comes to tickets, however, I think the elegant solution to the problem is to adheare to the speed limit. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Coach View Post
Recently, we camped at Lakeview RV Park in Bluff City. When we took a trip to Johnson City and I saw the new cameras. Unfortunately, I saw a flash, so they may have seen me too. Basically, when it comes to tickets, however, I think the elegant solution to the problem is to adheare to the speed limit. Then you don't have to worry about it.
You may have lucked out. I heard on the news that they are only sending out warnings for now. It will be a few weeks before actual tickets will start being mailed out.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM

The paper hinted that 1-1-2010 is when "real" tickets will start going out. Right now is just testing.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM

383 posts, read 918,862 times
Yeah, I went to Raceway Lights thing on Wednesday and wanted to "test" the system but the wife was getting upset with me so I backed off the pedal before I got to the cameras. I had big plans to post it up in the photos thread.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 AM

I was driving through the speed camera area one morning last week and the crowd was docile. If you've driven the stretch between bristol and JC in the morning you know there is typically some very aggressive driving happening but in the pack of 25-30 cars I was in, nobody was exceeding the speed limit until they got past the piney flats stop light. Mission accomplished..for about 1 mile of road anyway.

And for you haters, here's an article you'll love:

Arizona May Abandon Speed Cameras on Highways - NYTimes.com

Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM

284 posts, read 759,154 times
Yep, it works. And driving is not a right, it's a privilege. That's why they issue a license, have speed limits and hand out tickets. There is NO liberty to speed. So, again, more power to them. Honestly, these cameras are all around the country, but the response here is particularly interesting.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
I drove through them the other day, too. I've kind of changed my mind on them (though I'm still rather anti-traffic light cameras). Where with traffic light cameras I feel there is a general vagueness about what's being ticketed, and in what manner (varying yellow light lengths, etc.), that it's not a good system. More importantly, I feel that they may increase sudden speed ups (people trying to get through the green before it turns yellow) and even more sudden stops (when people stop for a yellow unexpectedtly, as they'd normally just go on through).

Anyway, back to the speed camera. They were clearly signed on the road "Speed Limit Photo Enforced" a goodly distance before the camera. And you're either going 45 or you're not - no wiggle room here. I felt that traffic flow was improved through the area, too - probably because traffic patterns followed the designed speed limit, hitting more green lights etc. I also felt safer, because as someone else noted, that stretch of highway can often be heavily trafficked and aggressively driven.

So, I'm not so against the speed cameras, shocking, coming from a nefarious speeder - I've had 8 or 9 tickets over my short driving record! The only real problem I have is that, again, the *car owner* is being ticketed - not necessarily the driver. That can lead to awkward situations.

However I'd still prefer that a bigger percentage went to the city than some corporation.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I've had 8 or 9 tickets over my short driving record!

I'm to cheap to speed...have had 2 lifetime but only 1 in the last 30 years and the cop was simply wrong (and a liar).

Anybody know if the laws pertaining to "tickets" received from these things is the same here as in Arizona? Specifically, if you ignore the ticket they have to serve you in person within 3 months or it's invalid?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
Yep, it works. And driving is not a right, it's a privilege. That's why they issue a license, have speed limits and hand out tickets. There is NO liberty to speed. So, again, more power to them. Honestly, these cameras are all around the country, but the response here is particularly interesting.

I'll bullet point this:

#1. I have the RIGHT to face my accuser in court. "Your honor, I'd like to cross examine the camera." lol

#2. Suppose I let Ripshin borrow my car and Ripshin gets caught doing 90 mph by the cameras. A month later I get a ticket and I'm like, "What the heck?" Is this justice?

#3. 50% of the LOCAL money collected from the tickets is siphoned off and sent to Texas or wherever the corporate interest is located. Stupidity!

#4. Look at the slimy collection practices. The camera gives you a ticket with a $100 fine. This ticket does NOT go on your record or your insurance. However if you contest the ticket, you have to pay the $100, and $300 court costs, and the ticket goes on your record, and your insurance skyrockets! This is larceny by government!

#5. I have a healthy distrust of all government bodies. I haven't met an efficient and ethical one yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol