Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,405 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring this year and think Elizabethton would be an ideal location-any info out there-please help us make a decision. What areas good/bad?

We come from a small town in upstate NY and love historic areas and lots of crafts-my husband spins, knits and I dabble in a variety of hobbies from jewelry to quilting.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 AM

65 posts, read 240,967 times
Elizabethton is a lovely town, but if are interested in history and crafts, Jonesborough is another area you should consider.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
frou, I love Elizabethton. There are Saturday night cruise-ins where old cars go cruising and parking during the spring, summer, and fall. It's close to the Appalachian Trail for hiking. There's a nice little airport. There's a nice river for fishing, and the town is close to Watauga Lake and Dam, which is absolutely gorgeous. Curious: where in upstate NY are you from? My good friend is from Oneida County.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 PM

176 posts, read 650,615 times
Default We visited there in April

We drove through Elizabethton while visiting the tri-cities in April. We didn't see much of the town as we're looking to be outside of a town, within a reasonable drive to one of the cities.
Jonesborough's downtown is cuter in a touristy sort of way, but smaller. The countryside surrounding Elizabethton is gorgeous; it looks very similar to NE PA. We found several lots that were priced right and looked great but the neigbors had yards full of cars on blocks, etc. They weren't all like that, but we saw more of that near Elizabethton than we did outside of Jonesborough and the three cities.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 18,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froufrou View Post
My husband and I are retiring this year and think Elizabethton would be an ideal location-any info out there-please help us make a decision. What areas good/bad?

We come from a small town in upstate NY and love historic areas and lots of crafts-my husband spins, knits and I dabble in a variety of hobbies from jewelry to quilting.

Thanks for your help!
Elizabethton is a great place. I've lived here almost all my life and it's a quiet town. I live in Stoney Creek, and it is a nice, quiet place in the country. You should look at houses in Stoney Creek. You will love it. Good luck. Lorabelleo

Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 18,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
We drove through Elizabethton while visiting the tri-cities in April. We didn't see much of the town as we're looking to be outside of a town, within a reasonable drive to one of the cities.
Jonesborough's downtown is cuter in a touristy sort of way, but smaller. The countryside surrounding Elizabethton is gorgeous; it looks very similar to NE PA. We found several lots that were priced right and looked great but the neigbors had yards full of cars on blocks, etc. They weren't all like that, but we saw more of that near Elizabethton than we did outside of Jonesborough and the three cities.
Did you try looking in Stoney Creek? It's a quiet place and it's out in the country. Elizabethton isn't a big city it's nice though/ i like it. I hate Johnson City. TOOOO crowded. I like the quiet and nice country air. Try looking up stoney creek, Highway 91. Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM

176 posts, read 650,615 times
Default Stoney Creek

Lorabelle, Unfortunately we didn't have time to drive around Stoney Creek but I've read some positive things about it on another website, too. From what I've read is it gets more country the further up the main highway you drive ( it's not shown on the TN maps I have so I can't tell exactly where it's at). But I've read that if you go a little too far you enter the 'snow belt' (higher elevation), which we want to avoid. What highway or road takes you from Elizabethton to Stoney Creek and how far can you go before hitting the higher elevations?
I know from checking out lots on the online MLS that Butler is rural with great country views but is in the 'snow belt' and sounds perhaps too rural-maybe better suited for a weekend cabin than a year round house. Is Stoney Creek more like Butler or Piney Flats, or something in between?
It's also not listed on the TN MLS as a town so we can view lots there; I assume any Stoney Creek lots would be listed under Elizabethton? If not, under what should we look for them? THanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:35 AM

64 posts, read 243,029 times
Default Found place in Elizabethton

Yahoo! I finally made it down here to scout around, and put 150 miles on the car yesterday just driving country roads around Elizabethton, Piney Flats, Gray, etc. Saw some incredibly beautiful scenes, and will share photos when I get back home.

It is even better than I thought it would be here, specifically the weather, the kindness of the local people, the road conditions, the views, the prices... Found a home in the country with cows & horses as neighbors, beautiful mountain views, yet a 20 minute drive to JC.

The Elizabethton Covered Bridge festival is taking place this weekend, and I'm looking forward to the craft show today & bluegrass bands tonight. Stopped at Winged Deer Park yesterday, and watched the fire company pump water into/out of the lake. There's so many places I look forward to exploring, especially the new Archeology Museum that's opening in Gray this summer.

Ate my first official Southern meal at Aunt B's - eggs over easy, country ham (the best I've ever tried), grits (they're awesome just plain) & sweet tea (a bit too sweet for me).

Thanks to you all for posting info on this forum - it was great to have a feel for the place before I arrived. Will write more next week.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 PM

64 posts, read 243,029 times
Default Photos of Elizabethton

Here are a few photos from my drive around Elizabethton last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Elizabethton, TN--any information helpful-elizabethton-covered-bridge.jpg   Elizabethton, TN--any information helpful-elizabethton-home.jpg   Elizabethton, TN--any information helpful-my-back-deck-view-1.jpg  

Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Eagle,

Did you stop and eat at Pal's Sudden Service Drive - Thru?? Another great reason to call upper East TN home!! Can't wait to see your pics!!

Kind regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol