U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM

203 posts, read 245,228 times
Default Mall in Kingsport continues to lose tenants

Well Radio Shack has now officially left Kingsport Town Center (Fort Henry Mall). They now are located across from Kingsport Pavilion right behind the new Eastman Credit Union location. According to this article Chick-fil-A closed down the mall location saturday and Waldenbooks is set to close in mid January. To read the full article please click on the link below.

Radio Shack leaves site at Kingsport mall - Kingsport Times-News Online
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM

12,324 posts, read 17,138,133 times
It's interesting about what is old is new again. I remember when the Kingsport Mall was the IT place to be. Then, Ft Henry Mall opened and it was THE place to be. Now things are migrating out of the Ft Henry Mall. It's come full circle.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM

349 posts, read 492,158 times
Kingsport seems to be turning into a doughnut- there is going to be a big empty hole in the middle called "Kingsport Towne Center".

Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM

12,324 posts, read 17,138,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
Kingsport seems to be turning into a doughnut- there is going to be a big empty hole in the middle called "Kingsport Towne Center".
I remember when that "doughnut" was a wooded area, full of trees! Had to walk through that to go home from Ross N Robinson. (A little scary at times to a middle school girl) Would've made a great park! After the mall opened I remember my brother would sneak and stop at Gold Mine (video arcade featuring Pac Man) on his walk home from school. If my parents found out my brother would be grounded. Haha.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 AM

203 posts, read 245,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
Actually Kingsport over the past few years has grown and added a lot. The mall though is a sore spot for Kingsport. Kingsport Pavilion and The Commons have taken a lot of business from the mall. Causing some shops to close down and others to move to another location. We really haven't lost anything because of this. Radio Shack just moved to the Kingsport Pavilion area. Chick-Fil-A is still right down the road on Stone Drive and Books-A-Million which is a far better book store anyways is also off Stone Drive at Kingsport Pavilion.

Last edited by ComicalMoodyDan; 12-30-2009 at 05:30 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,604,641 times
I wonder if these vacancies in the mall have to do with the impending remodel of the mall that have been pushed back?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM

45 posts, read 51,145 times
Quote:
Kingsport Pavilion and The Commons have taken a lot of business from the mall.[LEFT]

That's the malls side of the story and partially true. However they are fleeing due to the malls ever increasing rent. It is cheaper to lease outside the mall.

I am very familiar with the company that bought the mall, from when I lived in Baltimore. They are very good at convincing the community they are revitalizing, then forcing tenants out, declaring the mall non profitable, than flipping the property to a developer at a premium. Just Google Golden Ring Mall in Baltimore. There is a second one I used to frequent as a high schooler called Eastpoint mall which is about to close as well. Both are owned or managed by the same company.
[/LEFT]

Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 19,469 times
I've never actually been to Kingsport but I have a best friend who lives there and she told me they recently opened a huge Forever 21 store somewhere- I think it is one of their largest stores. Is this in the "mall" or the Pavilion or Commons?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,618,026 times
The Forever 21 Flagship was opened in Johnson City (in the Mall at Johnson City). Kingsport doesn't have a Forever 21, at least as far as I know.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 19,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The Forever 21 Flagship was opened in Johnson City (in the Mall at Johnson City). Kingsport doesn't have a Forever 21, at least as far as I know.
Oh, my bad lol. Thanks for the correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol