Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

I haven't been very active in this section lately and something popped in my head. So I thought well what do I love about Northeast Tennessee? I mean I've been there twice in the last year and can never seem to get enough of the place. Every where I go I see some breathtaking view, a nice well kept farmette with a mountain backdrop. Or a small bubbling creek along the way to the top of Roan Mountain. I'm amazed by the amount of beauty there, I don't think some people truly know how good they have it. Those mountains mean alot to me, even though I'm just a visitor.

So for me it's them beautiful mountains.

How about you folks? What do you love about Northeast Tennessee? Culture? Scenery? You name it.

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,954 times
It's hard to peg, but NET just fits me like a nicely worn shoe.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
Nothing can beat the mountains. Ever since I was a kid and visited the Smokey Mountains I've never gotten them out of my head. There is something soothing about the mountains almost as if they were speaking to you - (if that makes any sense). Think it's time for a visit.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb View Post
i haven't been very active in this section lately and something popped in my head. So i thought well what do i love about northeast tennessee? I mean i've been there twice in the last year and can never seem to get enough of the place. Every where i go i see some breathtaking view, a nice well kept farmette with a mountain backdrop. Or a small bubbling creek along the way to the top of roan mountain. I'm amazed by the amount of beauty there, i don't think some people truly know how good they have it. Those mountains mean alot to me, even though i'm just a visitor.

So for me it's them beautiful mountains.

How about you folks? What do you love about northeast tennessee? Culture? Scenery? You name it.

Josh
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	1644
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	55439The view from my living room window. Kinda says it all as far as I'm concerned
You can't see it from this photo, but there is a creek at the foot of that hill too, and a fair amount of wildlife living in that field.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default LOVE this question!

Oh boy..where to start?? hahahaha I LOVE north east TN for so many reasons it is hard to pick just one so I will do a quick bullet point list.
* The people! They take pride in their home town and pay attention to what is going on in their community and stand up for it. Just go to any school on a Friday night during high school football season...the bleachers are packed!
* The scenery. The mountains are always there, around just about every curve and on the horizon of every hill, I will never get tired of seeing those beautiful mountains.
* The 4 beautiful seasons! It never gets dull and boring during commute time.
* The courtesy of everyone and the safety/friendliness shown to me and that I feel compared to where I have lived in the past.
* Things to do that don't cost an arm and a leg. There are so many things to do and see with your family on a regular basis that a family can actually afford to do.
* Cost of living. I am not sure why or how but income wise the same here as in other states goes MUCH further here.
* Options.....that sounds weird, but there are just a lot of options. Between types of houses or types of neighborhoods when it comes to buying a house (although I would like to see a lot less split foyers!) or looking for things to do on your off time, there are just a lot of different options.

That is the short list for me.

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-11-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Here's my bullet points:

* The mountains - No matter where I live in my life, these mountains call to my soul. Maybe it's because I was born here, but I hear other "transplants" say the same. I consider Asheville my mother city.

* The people - Lots of people have moved in now and diluted a once more homogeneous population, but if you go out in the country you can still find true Appalachian people. Many of these're the friendliest folks in the world - they'll invite you to supper without knowing you, help you out in any way possible, and don't judge you based on income, worldly possessions, or personal appearance.

There are a lot of drawbacks to living here, but the two above items I think outweigh many of those.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
In no particular order...

Pal's
Dr Enuf
My Church Family
My Friends
My Family
The Mountains
Ridgewood BBQ
Ability to wear orange and fit in
UT Football Games
Lady Vols
Local Produce Stands
Cost of Living
Four Seasons
Slow Living
Lakes

to name a few

Last edited by Beretta; 12-31-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Low traffic
Low taxes
Sensible people
Sensible government
Attractive country side
Friendly people

Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 AM

811 posts, read 1,385,990 times
I love northeast TN so much, and dream of living there some day. I'm very familiar with the Elizabethton/Johnson City/Watauga area. What do I love about it?
-the friendly people (Southern Hospitality DOES exist!)
-the mountains, and those ROADS, that are a dream for a motorcyclist like me!
-Watauga Lake/Dam
-Sycamore Shoals State Park
-Elizabethton Twins baseball games- LOVE that field with it old-time feel and view of the mountains!
-NASCAR races at Bristol
-the drive up to Roan Mountain
-stopping at the college bookstore to buy myself yet another ETSU sweatshirt!
-the Firehouse restaurant in Johnson City
-visiting the firehouses- My husband is a firefighter and we love visiting. It is truly a brotherhood
-Powder Branch Road in Elizabethton/JC. I had family ties till my cousin died. She lived up there and I loved the drive up to see her.
-I could go on, but I don't want to hog up this thread! You folks that live there are truly fortunate!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Wow those lists sure don't run short. I love reading everyones replies.

Those Mountains seem to be the biggest thing for alot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol