Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times

Advertisements

I think that Philly sub place lasted longer than the others. I visited the Mexican and it was horrocious. I felt like I was eating dog food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM

284 posts, read 758,888 times
Jay,

Moderator cut: cut

I never went for the reason that I stated. I have heard the same complaint from numerous people in here, but mainly from others in the "real" world. When four restaurants fail in the same location, it is obviously the location that is the problem. Look at the location, and what do you see, practically no parking, and very difficult access. We can keep going around this circle, I suppose. A sister knows one of the other tenants, Weddings by Edna I think, and THEY have said that these two issues make residing there very difficult - I only know this because we were in a car together driving past, and the subject actually came up - months ago, when the last restaurant was just opening.

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by mbmouse; 01-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: working on it, but lets not bring it up on the forum ok.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Interesting, this East TN is. I know the history well, but I'll keep it to myself. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM

80 posts, read 219,630 times
The Mall at Johnson City was called the "Miracle Mile Mall. It had a Krogers and a Super X drug store and a Godfathers Pizza

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Wonder how they got the name? Thought it was "The Miracle Mall".....Previous posts have discussed the stores in the mall.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 PM

295 posts, read 750,109 times
Is Smokies going into that place on Oakland Ave. that was Thunderdome for about three months after it was a Cajun restaurant for about five months, after it was a seafood place for a about a year before that? Seems like a tough location to attract customers...kind of like being "clearly invisible". What used to be in the restaurant building across the street from it behind the auto parts store. That one's been empty for a few years. That looks like another easily overlooked location.
Anybody tried the Miso Teriyaki house near the university Kroger's. looks kind of cool.
Cafe Ole' apparently went belly up in the Parkway Center next to Bailey's. I see it's supposed to be replaced by a "Japanese Fusion" restaurant called Osaka.
Sushi Blues has become another sushi incarnation, Edo restaurant I think it is. We started to go in there about a week ago but the liquor license hadn't gone through and i kind of like to wash my raw fish down with sake so we took a pass for a while.
I noticed the Mexican Pasteria has closed up on Market St. I guess the most authentic Mexican food in JC is now just available at La Perla III
Won't be long for the Mushroom opens up I guess. I hope they have Sweetwater beers on tap like they do in AVL.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,622,030 times
NL, I'll have to try Miso and Osaka. I haven't been on the south side in a while; it's good to get an update.

Are either one teppanyaki style?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,219,213 times
Quote:
Anybody tried the Miso Teriyaki house near the university Kroger's. looks kind of cool.

I thought Miso was good. Somewhat like Moto's with sushi. Not teppanyaki.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 AM

295 posts, read 750,109 times
Lisa had the chicken teriyaki at Miso Teriyaki House since she's not into the raw fish experience and liked it very much but no Teppanyaki that I saw. I spent about 500 bucks on sushi. [Never, ever go to a sushi restaurant when you're hungry...eat a bologna sandwich or something before you leave the house FYI].
Anyway, the waiter extolled the fact that their sushi chef had 19 years in that business and they have their fish flown in three times a week from Hawaii, yada, yada...wherever it comes from the sushi I had was very, very fresh and worth the money. I heard from another diner waiting to be seated that the seaweed salad was great too. Good to hear that such standard stuff like that others found enjoyable. I had a roll 'off the menu' the waiter called "great white". It was a spicy yellow tail with thin slices of tuna and red fish roe and it was "da' bomb". A bit more expensive than your standard Cali roll but ask about it...good stuff!!

Osaka doesn't appear to be open for business just yet. Just put the sign up and working on the interior.

Still wish somebody would try a good Tapas restaurant in JC. Lisa checked out the one in Banner Elk last month and said it was good. Haven't been up there yet myself though. There is supposedly a new "gastropub" just opened in AVL on Lexington Ave. called [oddly enough] Lexington Ave. Brewery. A microbrewery/gastropub would be an angle not tried in JC at the moment either if people might be considering trying to open something other than another BBQ or lousy mexican restaurant in the area. A decent sit down and get waited on chinese restaurant would be novel too like in other cities instead of the AYCE or take outs we have here. I e-mailed Red Robin last month to let them know that we'd enjoy one of them closer than knoxville too and they responded with positive noises but...probably lip service. With Five Guys and Fudruckers in the area they probably will pass. A nice [or even mediocre] French restaurant might be another different/good angle for people wracking their brains what to open and probably go out of business in 6 months too. Cajun seems to be a current void in the local arena also.

Last edited by NorthernLights; 01-26-2010 at 01:59 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
It is not in JC but Kafe' Blues in Kingsport, when they reopen in their new location, is slated to have a wine and Tapas room upstairs above the dining room. They have great lunch food (I KNOW you have been there and liked it) so maybe their Tapas options will be to your liking too? I can't wait to give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol