U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 5,809,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I don't want to bad mouth Hawkins county/Rogersville but I feel I need to give you a heads up about some pretty strong issues that that particular area has especially if your concerned about being accepted or equality issues. I've had to have a lot of dealings out in Hawkins county for work and have been left with a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons. First is the prominent drug use in that area. I spoke with a TN state trouper and he reported that Hawkins county is one of the worst counties in TN for Meth/drug use. The schools in general are not very good. In addition, Hawkins county has a lot of dog fighting and rooster fighting. I witnessed first hand a lot of animal abuses and mistreatment and when I tried to report some of it I was told that they don't do anything about it in that area. However, I do want to be clear that there is a lot of nice people in Hawkins county and it is beautiful country with a lot of wide open spaces. I'm just not sure that nice people and beautiful countryside can overcome problem drug use
I grew up living in Hawkins County (and also Kingsport)--and have many relatives and people I know living there now. I am not shocked at all by those stats of drug use. I (sadly) have several cousins addicted to prescription drugs and meth living in Hawkins County. Also, my sister has said it is rampant throughout the county and you'd be shocked that the use is comparable to what you'd think would be in a bad part of a large city.

And I also agree that the county on the whole is gorgeous, in terms of landscape. There are a ton of wonderful people there as well. But it has a lot of problems that are not well-known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 796 times
Hello, Is there any National forest near Rogersville? We would like to be able to go back country camping,etc. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 354 times
I am looking at the possibility of moving to Rogersville to become a pastor in one of their churches. Just my wife and I and we are in our early 60's. I have talked to two people there so far (both from the church) and they seem very nice. We are from Phoenix, lived all over the world, but miss the small town and laid-back atmosphere. Should we expect good or bad things in Rogersville overall?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM

12,348 posts, read 17,183,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor_Bruce View Post
I am looking at the possibility of moving to Rogersville to become a pastor in one of their churches. Just my wife and I and we are in our early 60's. I have talked to two people there so far (both from the church) and they seem very nice. We are from Phoenix, lived all over the world, but miss the small town and laid-back atmosphere. Should we expect good or bad things in Rogersville overall?
Good! I have been to Phoenix a few times but go to Rogersville once a month so I can compare. The two places are like 180 degrees apart! But, if you want small town and laid back, this is your place!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM

20 posts, read 9,193 times
DH and I recently bought a home 9 miles E of Rogersville in Hawkins County.

We fell in love with the area and can't wait to sell our home here so we can finally move to our little piece of heaven.

Meth is a problem in this area of Il also.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM

17 posts, read 20,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn64 View Post
Hello, Is there any National forest near Rogersville? We would like to be able to go back country camping,etc. Thanks.
National Forests and National Parks aren't quite the same thing but as luck would have it, there's one of each about an hour or so from Rogersville. The Great Smokey Mountain National Park and the Cherokee National Forest. Google Maps will give you routes and distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol