Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 22,573 times

Advertisements

Hi I am 26 years old and have a wife and 2 kids (4 and 2 yrs old). We are both originally from Wisconsin but currently live in Indiana. We are sick of the weather here and love the idea of Eastern Tennessee's climate. It is perfect for us. Our ideal spot is a smaller city that is close to a larger city (50,000 ppl or more. Anything from Knoxville and east of that is where we want to live.) We are looking for a place to plant roots and raise our family. We want good schools (how are they in TN?) and a close knit community feel. We love being outdoors. Which places in East Tenn. has the best view of the mountains? How much snow does E. Tenn. get? Please help me out! Do the people that live there love it? Is it a good place to raise a family?? Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well, I live here and love it. If you really want to plant roots, honestly the best thing you can do is crack open the Tennessee history book and learn about us and our culture. We'll love ya and accept you much more that way

But anyway, if you're moving into a city that size there's gonna be tons of transplants, so you'll do just fine. Seems to me like your major decision is picking between:

Chattanooga (tons of great outdoors stuff, a neat revitalized downtown, and major industry [VW] investing there)

Knoxville (close to the GSMNP and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, U of T football games)

Tri-Cities (very close to the mountains as well, though lesser known than the Great Smokies Park, a little more spread out but still with a metro area of 500k, East TN State U).

We usually get around 6-9 inches of snow a year unless you live in the higher elevations. This year was a bit of a freak winter, they've officially recorded 23 inches or so here where I live, and it's snowed again since then. It's more like the winters that used to happen here, before the warming of the late 1990s.

As for views of the mountains, gosh, take your pick. There are a couple things you should center your search around, though, I think. Number one, where's your job gonna be? The job market is extremely tight in east Tennessee no matter where you are. Number two is schools for your kids. The best systems are Washington County & Johnson City, Sullivan County & Kingsport City, Knox County/City, Oak Ridge and Maryville. (Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about Chattanooga schools...)

Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM

123 posts, read 357,566 times
Hi

What are the chances of a professional musician and music instructor finding work there? He has a thriving business in CA giving lessons and playing gigs in the local mountain communities. We just LOVE North East Tennesee. Kingsport or an outlying town look very appealing to us. We are a quiet, conservative, church going couple without any kids who'd love to relocate. Commuting is NOT a problem for DH. Is an hour unreasonable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee