Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 17,919 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating due to job change...moving from a major city. What is life like? closest airport? we love to golf, children are collegee age so they won't move. Also, contemporary christian church is critical to us.. any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM

218 posts, read 417,027 times
Blountville may be a good alternate for you. Tri-Cities airport is located there, Housing is reasonable
easy access to interstates. Celebration Church is a super church. Kingsport is only minutes away as are the other two cities Bristol or Johnson City. Would depend on you job situation as to which way may be easiest for you. Golfing is nearby with several courses within 30-60 minutes. Good luck

Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times
Hello,
From what you have said thus far, seems like you should enjoy Kingsport. The closest airport is the Tri-Cities Regional Airport in Blountville (just east of gray, about 10 miles from Kingsport) but unless you are going to Orlando (sometimes $39!) it is expensive flights. There are several golf courses around, one being Meadowview right in Kingsport. There are several non denominational churches around.
Life is pretty good in Kingsport, if the oder doesn't bother you. Some get used to it and don't even smell it but once in a while and others are really offended by it and it bothers them. Me, I don't smell it but once in a while any more and it has never bothered me, but I am not prone to allergies. What smell you ask? hahahha Here they call it " The smell of economy" It is a combination of Eastman Chemical Co that Kingsport surrounds and Domtar that is a paper plant of sorts.
As for what to do in Kingsport, the list is long depending on what you like to do. On Thursday and Friday evenings all summer long there are free concerts on Broad st in downtown, Thursdays are mostly bluegrass and Fridays are for a bit of every kind of music. Farmers Market is on Wednesdays and Saturdays. There are many festivals, events, car shows and so forth through out most of the year, the biggest being Fun Fest that is the first of July, lasts a week and is a blast. There is Bay's Mountain park that is a 480 acre park that has a wildlife refuge, lake on top of the mountain and planetarium. Warriors Path State park has fishing, boating, camping, Frisbee golf and playground. There are a schlew of clubs and organizations to join if interested in doing so. Lots of chain restaurants and several independents, same with stores. Most of your big box stores are on 11W (Stone Dr.), Eastman Rd and Fort Henry Rd, the independent shops are mostly in the downtown area.
Can't think of anything else right off hand but if you are wondering about anything specific, just ask most of us here are happy to get answers when we can.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM

35 posts, read 81,478 times
Its great in Kingsport...as long as you dont mind the smell from Eastman. Or the Domtar Paper-Mill. Or the sewage-treatment plant. Or the chemicals that leak into the groundwater from Holston Defense.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 18,938 times
Does Eastman have any CDL or Electrician jobs. The factories and Mill, do they ever hire entry level?

How about apartments? If Joey Booth is around, I could use info about apartments. It seems like housing will be out. The house sold to an invester. One third goes to taxes and creditors, while the rest is split to its "heirs" of my mom. Me, my brother, my sister.

So I could get an apartment first, then the job??

Hey, kmbutler, good question. And thanks for that great detailed answer mbmouse. Thats what I need to know! Maybe Johnson City is not as good as Kingsport.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM

42 posts, read 152,781 times
Oh wow...the smell is nothing like it used to be!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM

431 posts, read 1,218,970 times
Default I've lived here 31 years....

what smell ??? Burned my nostrils out years ago... LOL.

Seriously I rarely smell Eastman now. Don't go around the mill enough to smell it. Also don't go by it often but the one smell that disgusts me is the "poopie plant" ...water treatment plant. Now that is YUCKY !! I hate driving past ...although mom said they have been working on reducing the smell.

There's a lot of churches in Kingsport and the Airport is an easy drive. Colonial Heights/Gray is a good area closer to the airport yet easy access to the interstates and all 3 cities. Pretty low crime,too.

Eastman has lots of different jobs but it's HARD to get on there.

I know that most of the factories around here hire entry level, just Eastman is the hardest to get hired/interviewed. I know that from personal experience.

American Water Heater / A.O. Smith is in Johnson City and they hire entry level workers through Addeco, I think.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 17,919 times
Hey! Thanks everyone! This was a great info. We will be visiting the area...anything we shouldn't miss? Also, where is hte best place to live? I have heard the islands..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol