U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,174 times

Advertisements

I would like to pose this question to the folks who live in the tri-cities area/ northeast TN- As someone who frequently visits your area from up here in NJ and is looking to eventually move down there...I'm curious....how do you rate the area you live in in terms of noise? The houses sure do seem spaced apart nicely down there (for the most part) so does that mean it is relatively quiet? or do you folks also have to deal with noisy, early-morning lawnmowers (landscaping), dogs left out barking all day, neighbors with their powerwashers, loud motorcycles, etc etc

or is that just all up here in the north where houses are on top on each other?

so do you find your neighborhood to be quiet?
is airplane noise a frequent problem?

Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,488 posts, read 14,325,180 times
I moved from an area that had mostly .25 acre (or less) yards to a neighborhood of .5 acre yards. Half as many yards in the same amount of space means fewer homes and families, so fewer yards to mow, fewer people with barking dogs maybe, etc. It might make the noise problem a little less bothersome, but not by a lot. I can still hear my next door neighbor slam her car door at 6am, if that's what you're asking.

In my neighborhood I don't hear any planes, but I do hear trains (which I actually kind of like). Not a lot of window shaking, bass thumping cars here either. No loud parties. Few barking dogs. My neighborhood is mostly older residents, so I do hear EMS sirens more often than I might if I were in another neighborhood.
Mostly I think it's going to depend on who your neighbors are. I've got a guy a couple houses down from me who cranks up his riding mower, or the hedge trimmer, or the weed whacker, or the leaf blower almost every single day after work, from April through October. I'm only happy we don't get enough snow for him to play with a snow blower all winter long.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 AM

67 posts, read 209,791 times
I am originally from that area. It really depends on what kind of neighborhood you move into. But compared to the urban parts in Jersey, any area would be pretty quiet. I am currently living in the suburbs in Gray and it is pretty quiet. Sometimes the dogs bark, but it's not a constant, early in the morning thing. It's comparable to living in a nice quiet town in Jersey. I think you are doing the right thing by visiting and looking around before you move down here. I think you will like it here.

It's funny, my husband and I recently went to NYC to our daughter's graduation and we couldn't wait to get back home to TN. It wasn't so much the noise, but all the traffic congestion and masses of people where you feel like you can't slow down enough to just look around you. I found it stressful and I grew up there!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM

430 posts, read 1,022,675 times
Default Just depends.

It's nothing like a big city, but it just depends on where you are. There are always going to be annoying neighbors.

We hear dogs bark sometimes, and we do hear some airplanes but we live in Colonial Heights which is sorta "on the way" to the airport for a lot of flights. Lawn mowing and etc. is not too much of a problem. My neighbor's house is about 20ft from me on one side and nobody lives on the other side/all my land.

Thankfully we are blessed with good neighbors where we live now.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,184,834 times
I live in one of the denser areas of Johnson City (Mountain Home) and I do get lots of noise. Lawnmowers, the house next door is renovating, parties on Lamont St behind us, etc. etc. We can also hear the train but it's quite close. No airport noise but we're miles from any airport. FWIW the house to the right is about ten feet away, and to the left about fifteen. The houses behind us are seperated by an alley, so they're all a good distance back.

What cuts down on a lot of noise here is lack of a true grid. My neighborhood is an exception to that rule, but generally here you won't find row upon row of streets with houses. That leads to a lot of noise pollution.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM

61 posts, read 141,982 times
We live in Bristol and it never fails to amaze me just how quiet it is in my neighborhood. We moved here from the West Suburbs of St. Louis County. I do hear a train from time to time. We are a few miles away from a train track. I actually kind of like the sound of the trains. We live at the back part of a subdivision on a cul de sac. There is not much traffic back here. I hear alot of birds though : )

Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,174 times
Cool, thanks for the replies.

I actually already own about ten acres in a wooded area in northeast TN and I still want to buy more all around me...Yes...that is how much I want to escape the noise. Last time I visited my land I was just standing there leaning up against my truck with my eyes closed and I actually heard the *whoosh* sound of a large bird flapping its wings overhead. Now THAT's quiet.

But I figure even in the woods I will probably still jump outta my chair when I hear gun shots from hunters nearby...or coyotes <?> howling or whatever they do. But I welcome the regular nature sounds...Its all this man-made, gas powered crap or the boom car music, or the early morning horn honking..and yes..car door slamming is very irritating. Its very claustrophobic with the neighbors on top of us here, the closest one is only 17 feet away. One morning I actually counted her car door slammed 23 times.....insane!!! Guess they were loading, unloading....very irritating

Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,816,991 times
Where we live in Limestone (30 mins from JC) in the country there is essentially no noise except for the sounds of birds chirping, cows mooing, horses whinnying, weekend lawnmowers and tractors haying. The loudest sounds we hear are from four peacocks (we inherited with our place) calling out to one another - what IS the sound called that peacocks make? They are VERY noisy.

Other than the aforementioned, it is sometimes earily quiet! But we love it - plus the absence of any real traffic. Having just returned from a trip to Charlotte, NC, the contrast is striking. I dread that trip every time I make it - best part is climbing the hills into Wilksboro and finally sighting the mountains!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or