U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 65,555 times

Advertisements

I live and work in Panhandle of FL. Too hot here and I hate hurricane season.
I am more of a mountain person.

Looking to buy between 2-5 acres and have a small house built to retire in.

My interests are hiking, camping, horseback riding, ice skating, plays and symphonies. My children would be interested in snow skiing when they visit.

I would like a safe country setting for me and my dogs but less than 1/2 hr. drive for shopping, doctor, plays, etc.

I have been looking online in the Kingsport area as the prices are decent.

Can anyone tell me if I am looking in the proper area? I am in my early 50's.

A friend of mine suggested Johnson City but it seems considerably more expensive.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 08:56 AM

7,281 posts, read 19,052,754 times
Hi Dots,
I would be more than happy to answer any question about this area! I live in Gray TN, which is right in the middle of the tri cities. I work in Kingsport and I work with a lot of people moving to TN. From the sounds of it though, you might want to look a bit south of Kingsport as the big skiing area is Boone NC. As for culture, you may want to look twords Greeneville, Jonesborugh or Bristol. Property is always going to be better priced out in the couties but some are "way out' and that may not be what you are looking for either.
As far as hiking and such, again south of Kingsport gets you closer to the mountains. Have you looked at Blountville? Off of Hwy 75? There are some really nice areas in there. Email me and I can get you some links to area stuff if you want.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM

47 posts, read 250,045 times
Thumbs up Thinking of Moving to Tri-Cities area

Hi, Dots.
We sound a lot alike!

"I live and work in Panhandle of FL. Too hot here and I hate hurricane season.
I am more of a mountain person." DITTO FOR ME, BUT I LIVE IN PENINSULAR FL.

"Looking to buy between 2-5 acres and have a small house built to retire in.
I would like a safe country setting for me and my dogs but less than 1/2 hr. drive for shopping, doctor, plays, etc." ME, TOO.

I'm also im my early 50's and like hiking and outdoor activities.
Anyway, my sister used to live in Kingsport, and I visited her frequently. Sadly, she moved back to Florida..... I LOVE that area, and dream of retiring somewhere in TN in about 5 years.
I visited Kingsport last spring. They have an attractive, appealing downtown.
My b/f and I walked part of the Greenway trail along the Holston River. We enjoyed it very much. We also hiked up to the top of Bays Mountain, then climbed the fire tower for a spectacular view. We also hiked the Virginia Creeper trail up near Abingdon, VA.
I do remember occasionally getting a whiff of Eastman, the big chemical plant in town. That may bother some folks, but not me.
I don't know much about the cultural stuff. My sister was big into recreational shopping. I'm sure between Kingsport, Greeneville and J/C, there are plays and symphonies. I really enjoyed visiting some of the history-rich towns like Jonesborough, Greeneville, and Rogersville.
As for housing, it seemed pretty reasonable compared to north-central Fla. My sister and her hubby had sticker shock when they bought a house here. They're paying AT LEAST 3 times more here for homeowner's insurance and property taxes than in Kingsport .
I know a visitor's view may be different from one who lives there, but I find Kingsport/Tri-Cities area a very appealing area to live. I'm also going to check out middle Tennessee, where my ancestors settled. A lovely mountain view will make up for the 9.5% sales tax!!
Best of luck with your search!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:18 PM

Smile Moving to Tri-Cities Area

Thanks MB, I think I will be coming for a visit in the next few weeks or so and I will be staying at a campground near Mustang Alley Stables in Greeneville.
The culture is more important to me than the skiing but would like to be only and hour or so away from a place my children can ski when they come to visit but it's not a must. I have spent hours on realtor.com and get confused when you can find an acre for $12,000 and then find an acre in the same town for $50,000. I know it partly depends on being level and I'm sure location plays into it but it seems really scary to purchase without seeing. I will look at houses too but want at least an acre for my dogs to run. I am not handy so a fixer upper won't do. A friend of mine lived in Church Hill and worked in Kingsport and loved it. She said there was a lot to do in Johnson City. Your right, I don't want to be too far in the boonies. I don't think I've looked at Blountville yet. I have looked at Gray and found some properties I wanted to look at.

Thanks so much for your input!
Dots

Old 08-08-2006, 07:26 PM

Smile Moving to Tri-Cities Area

Hi Bup,
Thanks for answering. Where is Peninsular?? I think my friend who used to live in Church Hill worked at the Chemical plant you mentioned, does it have something to do with making paper? She loved Bays Mountain. She is actually the one that gave me the idea to move to that area. I can't wait to go visit and check the area out! Good luck to you too!
Dots

Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 AM

132 posts, read 519,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dots
Hi Bup,
Where is Peninsular??
Dots
I think she is refering to the state in whole. You know..."The Stick Out State". It sticks out into the water.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:11 AM

47 posts, read 250,045 times
Default Tri-Cities Area

Hi, Dots.
By peninsular, I meant the part of the state that hangs down from the
panhandle.

I live in Gainesville and have lived in the area all my life. It's grown so much, as has almost all of Florida. Between the university and community college, we have around 65,000 college students here. The restaurants and stores are all geared toward the younger set. Our downtown has a few nice restaurants, but has mostly cheesey, obnoxious nightclubs. There are a lot of vagrants and panhandlers downtown, so I rarely go there. As a child in the 60's, our family used to go downtown at night and "window shop" (pre-mall era) at the family-owned department stores and clothing stores. What a weird concept today.....

I pay $6,500/ year property tax on a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home--our county has ridiculous millage rates. My homeowner's insurance has almost doubled in the last 2 years, despite being 60 miles from the Gulf Coast and 80 miles from the Atlantic Coast. I just can't afford to retire here.

To get back on track and answer your second question, Eastman is involved with plastics technology--Coca-Cola bottles and cigarette filters, etc., according to my brother-in-law. When I'd mention the occasional odor, my sister would say, "It's the smell of money!!"

You must visit the area in the springtime. I was there the first week of May--I'd never seen pink dogwoods before. The pink and white dogwoods were in full bloom, and it made for a beautiful contrast with the deep blue sky and lime green spring growth. Redbuds were still blooming in the higher elevations. The temperature in Johnson City one morning was 38 degrees, while everyone back home in Florida was already sweltering! I was sold!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM

7,281 posts, read 19,052,754 times
Your welcome Dots,
If you like I can get you some contact information for some realtors? I am not one but I work with a lot of them and know some good ones. Just email me and I will do my best to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol