Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 31,988 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

I last posted about a year ago on this board, and I've been lurking ever since. I enjoy reading such helpful information here, and I'm hoping you good folks could help me again.

My wife and I are relocating to Knoxville in August. I'm beginning a master's program at UT. She will work full-time, although we're still exploring job possibilities for her field, human resources.

We're looking to rent in either the Bearden or Fountain City areas, as we liked both of them a lot on our last two visits. $500-600 is our budget. Can you provide any specific contacts for trustworthy, reliable landlords in either area?
I should add: I saw a couple listings on Craigslist for Fountain City, but I wasn't sure if they were legitimate or not. Both postings required a $30 fee for a background check. Isn't that a sign of a scam? Or did I miss something?

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM

374 posts, read 940,911 times
Default I don't think

it's at all unusual for a landlord to request/require a background check for a new tenant, HOWEVER, I surely wouldn't give the ok/money for release of that information until filling the rental application/lease. Do that in person - not online is my advice.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
it's at all unusual for a landlord to request/require a background check for a new tenant, HOWEVER, I surely wouldn't give the ok/money for release of that information until filling the rental application/lease. Do that in person - not online is my advice.
That shows you how little I know. We're moving from a smaller place, and I've never had a landlord ask for a background check. Although I think it's great. It shows that the landlords care about who they rent to. I've run into a few in my current town who really should do it, but don't.

I guess the Craigslist rule for background checks is to make sure it's a valid Knoxville phone number then.

Thank you for your help, TN Gal now.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM

207 posts, read 640,728 times
Background checks by landlords are not uncommon. It will probably include checks for bankruptcies, liens, criminal background, prior evictions, credit check, etc. Most complexes likely perform the same check using part of the application fee.

I agree with the previous poster that it is advisable to do it in person. I would at least make sure that the person really has a place for rent (i.e., you have been inside, not just that you have an address - they could have given a fake address). Home owner names are public records, so you can probably search the address here to find the owner / landlord's name:

Property Tax Search - Trustee - Knox County Tennessee - A Great American Community

They may ask for your SSN to perform the check (I'm not sure if that is actually necessary). I would be more concerned about giving that to a scammer than I would losing $30.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:35 PM

374 posts, read 940,911 times
With the advent of information available on the internet I suppose someone could get a background check on just about anyone without their authorization, but I'm not sure what information that would include and obtained that way, probably only public information, and a SS would probably not be required. Requesting a SS number is common and a signed CONSENT for the background check is required by any reputable company performing those checks and generally (should) include limitations regarding who can see your private information. Landlords requesting that information are undoubtedly looking for someone who has stable credit so they will have a measure of comfort thinking they will receive the rent. I would imagine that responsible landlords will also want to know if someone has a criminal record, child/spouse abuse history, or is a known sexual offender. I'm not sure if apartment complexes, management companies, etc. charge the tennant or absorb the fee, but I imagine it would be included in the initial processing/application fee.

Aside from the landlord's "comfort zone" in learning about the tennant, if I was renting within an apartment complex I also would feel more comfortable knowing that everyone in the complex had been "screened" at some level - although that's certainly not a guarantee of character. If you rent a house, you're totally dependent upon outward neighborhood appearances regarding your neighbors...

Good luck with your move!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,636,177 times
Are those duplexes in Fountain City? There are several duplex "communities" in the greater Fountain City area that are quite nice. They do require background checks. I was shopping around for a rental several years ago. I remember some on Water Cress Drive that had nice yards. There are also some on Maple Road between Inskip and Highland.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 AM

603 posts, read 2,333,089 times
I rented a condo on Maple Road. I paid more than $500-600, but it was a great 2 BR, 2 bath (900 square ft). We went through Realty Management. There are duplex houses across the street--I don't know how much they are or if any are available.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Are those duplexes in Fountain City? There are several duplex "communities" in the greater Fountain City area that are quite nice. They do require background checks. I was shopping around for a rental several years ago. I remember some on Water Cress Drive that had nice yards. There are also some on Maple Road between Inskip and Highland.

I'm not sure if they were duplexes or not. The ad wasn't as specific as I would have liked. It did have a local number. I will look into the Water Cress Drive area, though. Thank you for the heads-up.

Quote:
I rented a condo on Maple Road. I paid more than $500-600, but it was a great 2 BR, 2 bath (900 square ft). We went through Realty Management. There are duplex houses across the street--I don't know how much they are or if any are available.
Any tip is a good tip. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,074,061 times
It is very common to have to give a social security number for a background check. I wouldn't give one out online or over the phone to someone, though.

Also, if you do not have jobs yet, you may have to pay quite a bit of money up front.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,764,859 times
You weren't specific as to what type of rental you are seeking, ie apartment, house, duplex, or townhouse/condo. I can tell you that you will probably not get a house, condo, or townhouse for 500-600 in Bearden. If you're looking at apartments, I can recommend Londontown, though I have no idea what west Knoxville apartments are going for nowadays. Keep in mind that both Bearden and FC are desirable areas and are priced accordingly. There are better deals to be had in North Hills/Whittle Springs closer in on Broadway from Fountain City, but the area becomes older, more urban, and more working class. I like it, but it may not be to your taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville