Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM

25 posts, read 80,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Zach Wamp just rubs me the wrong way. He reminds me too much of Lumpy Lambert.
LOL! I'm not a very "political" person, but that made me laugh! When we moved to K-ville, I couldn't believe there were signs for someone running for office named Lumpy - REALLY? To what strange place did we move? Sorry, that is a bit off topic to those outside the area.

As far as Haslam goes, I haven't been in Kville long enough to know what it used to be like. I can say that I'm pretty impressed with how the city is run now. I love the downtown area, the parks, and greenways. I'm sold on the city. I can't tell you who is responsible though.

I can only hope that Haslam has a strategy with his ads to "sell" his persona first, and then move on to some ads with more substanance.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,632 times
I have done a lot of research about the downtown Knoxville area.

Bill pushed to have the new movie theatre renovated and built downtown through private investment as opposed to using taxpayer contributions as the primary source. When he didn't get enough he got family members to help fund the project. In addition to that with his encouragement family members invested a substantial sum in 4 market Square (where Cafe 4 is and The Square Room) because he believed Market Square needed revitalized and in order to do it needed a faith based anchor to encourage other businesses and people to return to downtown. The Square Room has church every Sunday and concerts and occaisional comedy many other nights.

Bill seems to be convinced, which I agree with, that you can get a lot done through private investment as opposed to tax payer funding. I believe this is integral to growing Knoxville properly and exactly what Tennessee needs to move forward.

Bijou Theatre is also renovated and doing shows again thanks to Haslam. He also opposes any state income tax coming to the table but I would imagine all candidates agree on this item.

Note, I usually vote democrat, but I really see what Haslam has done to downtown and feel our state needs a business minded person in office as Governor. So I will vote Haslam.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntim View Post
I do not think that we need more lawyers or career politicians in City Hall, Nashville, or Washington. I think it takes a businessperson to run government like a business who will look after the shareholders, (i.e. taxpayers) and still get the job done. That is why I voted for Bredesen both times, and will vote for Haslam this time.

Jabogitlu, you’re not the first liberal democrat that I know say that they will be voting for Haslam.
I like the fact that Haslam is a centrist, which seems to be becoming a rare commodity these days. I know many democrats that will be voting for him.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstoogood View Post
LOL! I'm not a very "political" person, but that made me laugh! When we moved to K-ville, I couldn't believe there were signs for someone running for office named Lumpy - REALLY? To what strange place did we move? Sorry, that is a bit off topic to those outside the area.

As far as Haslam goes, I haven't been in Kville long enough to know what it used to be like. I can say that I'm pretty impressed with how the city is run now. I love the downtown area, the parks, and greenways. I'm sold on the city. I can't tell you who is responsible though.

I can only hope that Haslam has a strategy with his ads to "sell" his persona first, and then move on to some ads with more substanance.
Even more upsetting is the number of Campfield signs that I see. If you're not familiar with this clown, look him up. He prefers pulling political stunts as opposed to getting anything done. He is also a slumlord. He is an embarrassment to Knoxville and Tennessee. Even the state legislature is tired of his crap. Here's a list:

1. Proposed that death certificates be issued for abortions
2. Whined that he was being "discriminated against" because he was not allowed to join the TN Black Caucus (obvious stunt)
3. Threw a fit when he was kicked out of a football game because he would not take off a face mask.
4. Has had multiple lawsuits filed against him by former tenants.
5. Video of him pumping raw sewage into the a street drainage system at one of his properties

This guy makes Lumpy look ok. We have a city full of scientists, doctors, lawyers, and professors and these are the morons being elected?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Even more upsetting is the number of Campfield signs that I see. If you're not familiar with this clown, look him up. He prefers pulling political stunts as opposed to getting anything done. He is also a slumlord. He is an embarrassment to Knoxville and Tennessee. Even the state legislature is tired of his crap. Here's a list:

1. Proposed that death certificates be issued for abortions
2. Whined that he was being "discriminated against" because he was not allowed to join the TN Black Caucus (obvious stunt)
3. Threw a fit when he was kicked out of a football game because he would not take off a face mask.
4. Has had multiple lawsuits filed against him by former tenants.
5. Video of him pumping raw sewage into the a street drainage system at one of his properties

This guy makes Lumpy look ok. We have a city full of scientists, doctors, lawyers, and professors and these are the morons being elected?
Stacey Campfield. Ugh.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
I have done a lot of research about the downtown Knoxville area.

Bill pushed to have the new movie theatre renovated and built downtown through private investment as opposed to using taxpayer contributions as the primary source. When he didn't get enough he got family members to help fund the project. In addition to that with his encouragement family members invested a substantial sum in 4 market Square (where Cafe 4 is and The Square Room) because he believed Market Square needed revitalized and in order to do it needed a faith based anchor to encourage other businesses and people to return to downtown. The Square Room has church every Sunday and concerts and occaisional comedy many other nights.

Bill seems to be convinced, which I agree with, that you can get a lot done through private investment as opposed to tax payer funding. I believe this is integral to growing Knoxville properly and exactly what Tennessee needs to move forward.

Bijou Theatre is also renovated and doing shows again thanks to Haslam. He also opposes any state income tax coming to the table but I would imagine all candidates agree on this item.

Note, I usually vote democrat, but I really see what Haslam has done to downtown and feel our state needs a business minded person in office as Governor. So I will vote Haslam.
Okay, this is good and specific. Too bad he doesn't say as much in his TV ads.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Zach Wamp is extremely negative and he started that last year.

He's accused Bill Haslam of raising taxes. The truth is that Haslam inherited a $10 million shortfall. In 2004 there was a 35 cent tax hike. However, Haslam lowered the city's debt by 25 percent, balanced six consecutive city budgets, and reduced the size of government. Today, Knoxville's tax rate is the lowest it has been in 40 years and I believe we have the lowest taxes of the four largest cities.

Meanwhile, Wamp called on Obama to spend more on his stimulus package.

Personally, Wamp makes my skin crawl.
But aren't you a liberal who will probably not vote in the Republican primary? Wamp voted against the stimulus.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Also, Haslam plays with the big boys and thus has the potential to land Tennessee more jobs. I feel like Wamp, and all the other insignificants, are just too regional for that.
What do you mean, Haslam plays with the big boys?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But aren't you a liberal who will probably not vote in the Republican primary? Wamp voted against the stimulus.
Yes. He voted against the stimulus package but has been very hypocritical about it. Think Progress » Wamp’s Monthly Stimulus Hypocrisy: Stimulus Both A

Like the other two liberals in this thread that said they are probably going to vote for Haslam, I am talking about the November election. The point is that I will not be voting for the Democrat.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:26 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,632 times
And I don't really consier myself a Liberal although I know you were not referring to me directly. I consider myself a moderate. Fiscally conservative mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville