Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Just a thought, but you might really want to consider moving to the DC/Northern Virginia area, which right now probably has the most jobs, and government ones as well. The area is very diverse, also very expensive.
Sorry, but no more jobs here in DC.
All filled.
Nothing to see here.
Move along.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 PM

37 posts, read 61,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Sorry a little confused from your original post. Are you having trouble finding "any" job? or just a job that you want? If the latter, expect to wait as that is the case in any part of the country. For the former, what about taking a restaurant job or something similar until you land your ideal job?

I will be moving to Knoxville at the end of the year. My wife has a transfer lined up in the restaurant business and she will also have a massage therapist job lined up as well. For me, I won't have anything guaranteed lined up. I do freelance photography and design but its not consistent income. I will be looking for fulltime work once I get up there but in the mean time will take a restaurant position to get by if need be. I can only assume those types of positions are available as turn around is high in that industry. Have you looked into that?
Right now I am having trouble finding any job...I have tried several restaurants, no luck so far, even though I waited tables while I was a student. Of course, I would love to have an office job, but right now I am ready to work any job. I do not know why I did not get hired over there, all managers who interviewed me were women, it could be the reason...Good luck on your move to the area!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Hmmm
I dont recall you mentioning where you are from?
Could you tell us?
Here is the deal. And I will try to be as P.C. as I possibly can.
A majority of Americans (natural born and naturalized) are really pissed off about illegal immigration and the Federal Governments refusal to enforce the immigration laws. This frustration about the impact that illegal imigration has on our society can sometimes find unfortunate avenues of expression. The unfortunate thing is that sometimes law abiding immigrants that have followed the rules, Like you. Are lumped into that same catagory and are unfairly penalized.
Here is another fact you must consider. When every job opening generates a stack of resumes 6" tall the person screening applicants will find easy ways to shorten the stack. For instance I have heard that all resumes from out of towners get round filed. Same goes for people without degrees. (even for entry level jobs). Next criteria might be they are looking for verifiable local experience. Not saying its right, just that it happens and with so many applicants for every job the employers can be and are very very selective on who they hire.
I think I have mentioned already that I am originally from Russia. I am pretty sure it is easier for me to find a job than a Hispanic immigrant because I am white and Caucasian. Also, I have degrees and when I get married, it will happen pretty soon, it will be hard to tell that I am not American. The problem is that I have already spent a lot of money on my education and would love to return some of my money back.
P.S. I hope employers do not think that I am a Russian spy )))lol I am just joking)

Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Just a thought, but you might really want to consider moving to the DC/Northern Virginia area, which right now probably has the most jobs, and government ones as well. The area is very diverse, also very expensive.
I am stuck here at least for an year because of my apartment lease. When my lease is up, I will definitely move to the East coast.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
hmmm
Russian wants to move to DC and get a government job.
Prolly a Russian spy.

seriously
Once you move to DC and find out how much rent is here....
Rent is very high here in DC.
what you are paying for rent in Knoxville ( the whole year) will prolly equal 2 months rent here.
So no use waiting a year there. think of it as a mooving expense or an extra large cleaning deposit.
BUt This time get the job lined up first tho.
Oh and one other thing contact that friend you have that lives in the DC area and use their address on your resume
They filter for locals in DC too.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
hmmm
Russian wants to move to DC and get a government job.
Prolly a Russian spy.

seriously
Once you move to DC and find out how much rent is here....
Rent is very high here in DC.
what you are paying for rent in Knoxville ( the whole year) will prolly equal 2 months rent here.
So no use waiting a year there. think of it as a mooving expense or an extra large cleaning deposit.
BUt This time get the job lined up first tho.
Oh and one other thing contact that friend you have that lives in the DC area and use their address on your resume
They filter for locals in DC too.
You mis understood me. I do not want a job in DC!I am in Knoxville and looking for a job in Knoxville. Some people just suggested to me to move to DC. I have lived in DC and was fine. Yes, it is expensive, but you always can have a roommate over there. About the whole Russian spy situation, it is just funny to me)))

Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaDan View Post
About the whole Russian spy situation, it is just funny to me)))
It's funny to me, too.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
You mis understood me. I do not want a job in DC!I am in Knoxville and looking for a job in Knoxville. Some people just suggested to me to move to DC. I have lived in DC and was fine. Yes, it is expensive, but you always can have a roommate over there. About the whole Russian spy situation, it is just funny to me)))
However, I was thinking about DC because my professor told me it would be more likely for me to get a good scholarship over there for my master or American JD degree...But I am planning to go back to school in one year or so and probably will move in that area in 1-2 years.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 12,957 times
Quote:
Hello, my fiancee and I moved into Knoxville 3 weeks ago and still can't find a job, actually any job. I have a bachelor degree and 2 years professional experience in legal field. My fiancee is a junior at college, he has transfered to UT recently. We have attended dozens of interviews, especially my fiancee, but still no luck...My fiancee starts thinking that it is because he is biracial (white and black), but he looks more black than white and I am a foreigner...I do not want to think this way, but really do not have a choice, my friend who is Russian too can't find a job in Knoxville since February. I am legal and has always been legal in this country and I am so upset that with all my qualifications and an American degree I can not find a job...Any advice on where we could try to find a job?We both have a clear background. Thank you
"I do not want to think this way, but really do not have a choice, my friend who is Russian too can't find a job in Knoxville since February."

First of all "yes" you do have a choice of the way you think.
Do you not listhen to the news? Do you not know how many American's are currently unemployed by no fault of their own? Do you not know that unemployment benefits have been cut off due to our wonderful politician's in Washington? Aparently not!
I don't mean to sound harsh but, your post does offend me. Just because you chose to move to the "South" or, Knoxville and can't find job does not mean we are racial! And do you not know that Sevierville is an outshirt of Knoxville which would mean that is the "South" as you call Knoxville.

I am caucasian, female and i've been out of work since Nov. 09. So, don't come off with this racial stuff. No matter where you live you're always run into some ignorant person who is racial but, don't use that for an excuse.

Go out there with a possitive attitude and keep trying.
Best of luck to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,957 times
Quote:
I think you are the one who is assuming. Did I say all of them hate Mexicans?Nope I did not, but you just go to any forum, for example, craiglist and read what Americans say about that. Second, of course, managers did not tell her in her face, but she knows people who work over there and it is not a big mystery!Just walk in to any restaurant and see who works over there!It is many illegal things by law, but people still do it, including discrimination!You will be surprised, but I did not have any problem with jobs anywhere in the US and I have been here for more than 3 years. I did not have any problems with jobs in Sevier county as well, that's why I came here again. And I was just naive to assume that it is the same in KNoxville!

Am i confused here? You've been in Knoxville for "3 years" or "3 weeks" as previously posted??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville