U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM

12,461 posts, read 17,688,686 times
Glad you're ok inave! Some people have a death wish, which I totally respect. I just don't wanna go with them!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,358,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And, not surprisingly, my favorite.

Prettiest time of year and the crowds are gone.

Until a week or so after the new year... then seeing the lights gets really, really old. Nothin' like dancin' bears in February, right? lol

Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM

30 posts, read 61,247 times
I'm vacating in the Sevierville area as we speak. I'm from Chicago and one of the first things I notice anytime I visit the south (I've been to Tennessee and Georgia) is how friendly the people down here are. People seem to be nicer and especially more calm or relaxed. My buddy and his family who moved to Georgia from Chicago some 10 years ago said it was something that was obvious to them too.

So, I'm just curious. How do the locals around the area feel about tourist, especially those from the north? Do locals here feel that people from the north are maybe not as nice or rude? I wondered this to myself last year and I was thinking it again tonight after I got here.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM

374 posts, read 481,399 times
Default Tourists

are a mixed blessing in any area regularly deluged with people from out of the area. They bring money and a boost to the local economy. They also disrupt "normal" life with the traffic surges, long lines at businesses, etc. In most tourist areas I think the locals are happy to see them come and equally happy to see them leave. The real key is tourist attitude. If you go into an area and are happy to be there, grateful for what's there - local scenery and/or man-made attractions, are respectful, use traffic manners, and appreciate the fact that you're on their turf, you'll probably have a warm and welcoming reception. If you complain about the weather, the cost of something, etc, and especially if you mention the better way you do it "back home" you're probably not going to feel welcome.

I'm a native Floridian, left there 28 years ago, spent a total of 10 years in Pigeon Forge, 12 in Knoxville, three where I am now - 50 miles outside Knoxville. The majority of my life I've lived in areas where the primary industry was tourism. And occasionally, I've been a tourist in other areas.

Locals love and don't love tourists wherever "local" is. Perhaps in the south we are more genteel about the times we don't love them. AND, wherever you're from, we truly welcome you to wonderful E TN, we hope you enjoy your visit and we hope y'all come back real soon

Old 07-12-2010, 05:42 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,358,583 times
PSA annoucement to all tourists :0)

And if you're the tourists who had traffic backed up with your 'veered off the road and parked jack-knifed, almost touching the road' on Cades Cove Rd (not the loop, where it's expected- but on the two lane thirty five/forty mph ROAD) and lept from your vehicle to climb down the hill and shoot pics of the BEAR in the woods- I hope the bear ate you and we don't have to deal with you any more.

Those who are respectful of TN's customs, local ways of doing things and hello- the LAWS regarding interaction with the native flora and fauna are most welcome. Those who act like they're at DISNEY or the zoo, are not.

We love meeting new people who are enjoying themselves here.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,985,616 times
Aside from the rod runs (I like to forget about those), Sept is quiet. November IS quiet - just to reiterate.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,807,508 times
I was there mid December.

The reason I picked that week, was it was regarded as off-peak for my son's time share.

Hit great weather ( the heavy snow just dusted PF) and there were no crowds.

Motel after motel with flashing signs proclaiming-----VACANCY --and rates in the $20's and $30's.

Motel parking lots had few cars in the very early morning.

The guy on the tour bus that toured the light display stated it would get quite busy the next week ( Christmas and early Jan) and real slow mid Jan -mid Feb.

We hit a few days in mid Dec that were so clear and sunny that the view from the Gatlinburg overlook was crystal clear.

Spent a lot of time hiking in the Smokey Mountain NF.

We hit beautifull weather last year ( ,mid Dec) and few people in the Smokies. ( and in PF )

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM

330 posts, read 593,518 times
Thanks, Beretta. We were a little shaken, more for the truck he almost hit head-on.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

21,626 posts, read 30,614,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Until a week or so after the new year... then seeing the lights gets really, really old. Nothin' like dancin' bears in February, right? lol
I said spring.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,283,959 times
Calendar of events for Gatlinburg.. Gatlinburg attractions Once open "click " on the four seasons tool bar..

Pigeon Forge Calendar of Events.. http://www.mypigeonforge.com/events_calendar.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville