U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,596,560 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering The University of Tennessee for undergrad school. I'm graduating in two years from HS, but I wanna start doing some serious thinking now.

I've done so research already, and I like what I've read so far. It's in my Top 3 schools right now.

I'm also planning a trip to the University in August, any advice? Any good questions I should ask?

Also, would y'all recommend UT for someone who wants to major in Political Science? Is Knoxville a Conservative town? (I know it voted republican from 1968-current)

Also, for Law school (this is 6 years away but...) is UT a good school for that?

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be living in Knoxville in two years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM

187 posts, read 389,752 times
UTK overall is a good college...If you don't pay any attention to what the football players do that is...The school itself is a pretty good and safe school no matter how much bad press it gets from what the football players here do...UT has a good law school as well as a political science dept...Unless you plan on going to Harvard or Yale or something..I don't really see why you wouldn't like it at UT at all...Especially if you like sports,Then UT and Knox is a great place for a sports lover to be...I would say that Knox is pretty conservative But a few might would disagree and East Tn as a whole is mostly republican...Overall i think you would like Knox and UT alot,But coming from Charlotte tho,It might be somewhat of a shock to give up big city options for a smaller city like Knox..Knox is like 1/3rd the size of Charlotte..Uptown Charlotte blows Knoxville's downtown out of the water,Literally...I lived in Charlotte for 2 years..Its a great city,But the traffic there sucks,And also theres no jobs at all,So i moved back to Knox and Knox overall is a great lil place to settle down really

Old 07-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes, I know Knoxville is smaller then Charlotte. I'm kinda looking to get away from big cities, I've lived in NYC my whole life, and Charlotte is pretty big too. Knoxville seems to have a small town feel...without actually being a small town.

I'm gonna keep researching it. Hopefully, when I visit it, I'll like it.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM

608 posts, read 1,273,839 times
I'll be a senior this upcoming school year, I'm a political science major, I'm planning on going to law school, and I'm also a campus tour guide. It's looking like I might be able to help you.

Are you going on one of the guided tours, or are you planning on walking around by yourself?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
I'll be a senior this upcoming school year, I'm a political science major, I'm planning on going to law school, and I'm also a campus tour guide. It's looking like I might be able to help you.

Are you going on one of the guided tours, or are you planning on walking around by yourself?

I don't really know yet. My dad and I are waiting for my relatives to fly back to NYC, before we start setting up a trip to Knoxville. I'll keep ya updated

Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM

608 posts, read 1,273,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I don't really know yet. My dad and I are waiting for my relatives to fly back to NYC, before we start setting up a trip to Knoxville. I'll keep ya updated
Please do. Our tour program is great, and I think a campus visit is something that can really solidify your decision. I never visited UT's campus before I started school, and that's a decision I definitely regret - I would've been much more excited had I taken the time to visit.

In any case, feel free to shoot me a direct message. I'd be glad to help you out some more, and I can give you my contact info if you'd like.

One thing's for sure - you are way ahead of the game. Planning ahead and being prepared is never a bad thing!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm coming to Knoxville Somewhere Aug. 17th-20th

Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM

610 posts, read 1,391,556 times
That's a good time to come, since that's the beginning of the school season, and you'll see how lively campus is. Be forewarned, it is the busiest time of the year on campus with all the moving, parents, and vendors. :-)

Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airen123 View Post
That's a good time to come, since that's the beginning of the school season, and you'll see how lively campus is. Be forewarned, it is the busiest time of the year on campus with all the moving, parents, and vendors. :-)
Thanks, for the info Hopefully I'll like it alot when I visit.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Actually, my trip has been re-scheduled for Early September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville