Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 40,484 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid fifties and thinking very seriously of retiring now or max within three years and moving from Georgia to Maryville or Lenoir City or their counties.

Children are grown and live in two different states and one of us is already retired. We visited the "tourist" area several times many years ago and I really live the area.

One of the disadvantages of the smaller nice towns in North Georgia mountains is the lack of grocery or everyday life type need shopping. Also, services for healthcare or other needs are not up to par yet for these nicer areas.

High Quality Medical care facility that is very close it a big desire for us as is very little crime.

Maryville - Blount County and Lenoir City - Loudon County seem to have nice communities with strong church involvement and lots of activities, festivals and performing arts. The attraction of being close to a nice airport in Knoxville is also very nice.

So where are the nice neighborshoods in these areas and ones with new or recent built homes? Quiet areas away from noisy traffic also. How in the housing market in these areas?

What areas should we not want to live in or around?

Better choice inside city limits or outside in the county?

Any input or thoughts on what is good or not so good in these area would be greatly appreciated.

It seems rare to have people from the south moving north but bigger north GA areas are plague with lack of services , crime or lots of undesireables.

Anyone from South Georgia move to here and retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

187 posts, read 460,210 times
Of Maryville and LC...Maryville hands down...But don't get me wrong tho...LC is nice too its in own way...But Maryville has so much more going for it right now...Maryville is the closest to the airport and Maryville does have its own hospital as well( Blount Memorial)...LC is smaller and more rural than Maryville is...Both areas have good neighborhoods to say the least...I recommend looking into the Royal Oaks Neighborhood in Maryville...Its a golfing community..So alot of retirees like yourself live there already...Depending on your budget tho..Houses start at around 170k and go all the way up to around 400k..Depending on if you want on the golf course or not

Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 AM

Default Maryville Neighborhoods

Thanks

No never had time or I guess the desire to golf.

The $170K to max $250 is good price range.

Looking for new contruction or newly built.

Is that neighborhood within the city limits?

Is it safe and well maintained?

Any other neighborhoods also similar to the one you suggested in Maryville?

I like the similar age group neighborhoods but dont want to be paying for golf course usage or to view.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWGA View Post

It seems rare to have people from the south moving north but bigger north GA areas are plague with lack of services , crime or lots of undesireables.
Actually, not rare at all. Many have relocated here (and continue to) from much farther south than northern Georgia, specifically Florida.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
We retired to the area a few years back, but not from further south so we can't make that comparison.

Golfing and all the "usual" retirement stuff was totally uninteresting to us, as are retirement communities or over 55 places. We found Blount County, outside of the city limits of Maryville provided space, good neighbors and quick access to shopping and food choices. It takes 30-35 minutes to reach most places in Knoxville if we need more than what Maryville offers. We are also within a fairly easy drive to much of the Smoky Mountains and some spectacular scenery. Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and Gatlinburg are an easy drive, if you like the touristy stuff.

To get an idea of what the various areas cost you can use the public MLS listings: Search Details and look at areas 284, 288, and 289. Newly built homes are dotted around each, but as of late not too many new home have been going up.

We feel totally safe, have quite a few churches to choose from, have Blount Memorial for local health care (and so far some very good doctors)- for more serious care UT is 30 minutes away.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
After living in Florida for 10 years, I can't ever imagine retiring there. I think you made a great choice and for all the right reasons. Just the difference in healthcare, alone, makes it worth choosing here to retire as opposed to down in Florida. I can't imagine dying in a place that has brutal weather much of the year and rude, aggressive people. And there is that ever-prevalent seedy underbelly that always gave me the willies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
We retired to the area a few years back, but not from further south so we can't make that comparison.

Golfing and all the "usual" retirement stuff was totally uninteresting to us, as are retirement communities or over 55 places. We found Blount County, outside of the city limits of Maryville provided space, good neighbors and quick access to shopping and food choices. It takes 30-35 minutes to reach most places in Knoxville if we need more than what Maryville offers. We are also within a fairly easy drive to much of the Smoky Mountains and some spectacular scenery. Pigeon Forge, Dollywood and Gatlinburg are an easy drive, if you like the touristy stuff.

To get an idea of what the various areas cost you can use the public MLS listings: Search Details and look at areas 284, 288, and 289. Newly built homes are dotted around each, but as of late not too many new home have been going up.

We feel totally safe, have quite a few churches to choose from, have Blount Memorial for local health care (and so far some very good doctors)- for more serious care UT is 30 minutes away.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
kar

179 posts, read 753,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
After living in Florida for 10 years, I can't ever imagine retiring there. I think you made a great choice and for all the right reasons. Just the difference in healthcare, alone, makes it worth choosing here to retire as opposed to down in Florida. I can't imagine dying in a place that has brutal weather much of the year and rude, aggressive people. And there is that ever-prevalent seedy underbelly that always gave me the willies.
I 100% agree with hiknapster.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM

257 posts, read 489,344 times
We are also thinking of retiring in Blount County and have made three trips to try and get a good sense of the area to start narrowing our search area for a home. We have determined that we will look within the City of Maryville or on the east side of Blount County out near Seymour. The advantage of living in the city is access to services, shopping, and health care. We are enticed by the greenway walking trail that will continue to be expanded in the future. City living has a price in higher taxes (both city and county) but this is offset somewhat since you have to pay for trash and fire department services in the county. We also like having natural gas heat and have not been impressed by heat pumps that are used where there is no gas service. The advantage of living in eastern Blount County is more space, beautiful mountain views, and newer homes. The west side of Blount County, as you get closer to Tellico Lake results in the loss of mountain views and more travel for services.

My best advice is to determine what is most important to you and then try to limit your search. Our most important considerations to moving to the area is to be close to the mountains in an area with a four season climate. The Blunt County Library is beautiful! I also like living near a medium size city with a large college for culture and programs. No TN state income tax is also attractive.

We thought that the Royal Oaks development was a bit too crowded for us with homes very close together. It is located in the city through.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 AM

Default insight and information about Maryville

Thank for this insight and information about Maryville and Blount County. This is kind of information we wanted. Know of any subdivisions or streets to view that have mid 50s crowd and up with new or new homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
We are also thinking of retiring in Blount County and have made three trips to try and get a good sense of the area to start narrowing our search area for a home. We have determined that we will look within the City of Maryville or on the east side of Blount County out near Seymour. The advantage of living in the city is access to services, shopping, and health care. We are enticed by the greenway walking trail that will continue to be expanded in the future. City living has a price in higher taxes (both city and county) but this is offset somewhat since you have to pay for trash and fire department services in the county. We also like having natural gas heat and have not been impressed by heat pumps that are used where there is no gas service. The advantage of living in eastern Blount County is more space, beautiful mountain views, and newer homes. The west side of Blount County, as you get closer to Tellico Lake results in the loss of mountain views and more travel for services.

My best advice is to determine what is most important to you and then try to limit your search. Our most important considerations to moving to the area is to be close to the mountains in an area with a four season climate. The Blunt County Library is beautiful! I also like living near a medium size city with a large college for culture and programs. No TN state income tax is also attractive.

We thought that the Royal Oaks development was a bit too crowded for us with homes very close together. It is located in the city through.

Best of luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville