Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,502 times

Advertisements

When you see [usually bright/neon orange] Manager Special stickers on food/beverage items... this means the items are about to expire/go out of style (if that's the right word for it). Some items are OK after a few days past the expiration dates. They usually put the stickers over the expiration dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM

180 posts, read 621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
When you see [usually bright/neon orange] Manager Special stickers on food/beverage items... this means the items are about to expire/go out of style (if that's the right word for it). Some items are OK after a few days past the expiration dates. They usually put the stickers over the expiration dates.
They are just fine if you throw them in the freezer. I save a ton of money buying the reduced meats. Some people might find it gross but if you think about the steak you buy in a restaurant... well it aint so fresh most of the time.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It's fine to buy that meat if you know what you are doing and know what to look for. I've bought a lot of tenderloin at fabulous prices and it was great. I use to work in a meat/seafood department at Publix. But I wouldn't buy just any store's meat and you have to know what to look for.

A very good tip is to never buy meat that has seasoning on it or has somehow been "prepped." That's meat that is in much worse shape than the "manager's special" and the seasoning is there to cover it up. True.

I'm very picky with my food purchases and will usually shop organic or top-of-the-line. Maybe it is not such a good idea if you don't know what you are doing, though.

Gas on Merchant's, when I drove by tonight, was $2.48.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM

187 posts, read 460,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
WOW, TENNESSE! ENJOY!!

Just for the record: Hickory area N.C :
Today I paid:
regular gasoline $2.69
regular gallon of milk $3.18
1 pound ground chuck $2.88
my electric bill I just received today for a 14 x70 2 bed, 1bath MH w/air $75.47

Gotta love good ole NC...Everything in NC is always like 20 cents a gallon/pound higher than it is in TN....When i Lived in Charlotte...I would just go over to the SC side and get gas and food over in Fort Mill/Rock Hill....SC is a lil bit cheaper than TN on most things and alot cheaper than NC and plus no sales tax on food in SC either

Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM

438 posts, read 1,360,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey19782000 View Post
I moved here from Indy around 6 years ago. It is a bit of a culture shock at first but you learn to adjust. The good thing is down here you have a lot of the same comforts from home such as Aldi and Kroger. Groceries are higher down here especially once you get used to paying taxes on them but when you figure in there is no state tax here it averages out. Not as much crime either but I guess I that would depend on what area in Indy you are from.
When I lived in UniGov it was on the very edge of Wayne Township, literally. Raceway Road about a mile north of 10th Street, a block from the Clermont town limit each way. Currently I live just off campus of Depauw. About the only crime to be put up with here is the occasional frat related naked mile, parties til all hours and of course the 'lovely' time I had trying to resolve issues with some nasty things being written on my van by a couple of their students while my husband was in Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyshasta2 View Post
WOW, TENNESSE! ENJOY!!

Just for the record: Hickory area N.C :
Today I paid:
regular gasoline $2.69
regular gallon of milk $3.18
1 pound ground chuck $2.88
my electric bill I just received today for a 14 x70 2 bed, 1bath MH w/air $75.47
Thanks I would love the NC coast and we'd hoped to make it there, but the security jobs even armed pay about nothing compared to the COL. Hubby has to make a decent amount compared to COL in case something happens that puts my ability to use my hands/arms out of commission, or I'd be on one of the resort spa jobs on the coast in a hearbeat. Knoxville puts me six hours closer to the ocean than I currently am and in alot better weather 11.5 months out of the year according to the NOAA stats. No ocean water/air of course but it will do, kwim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville